Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

SWChance

Old January 11th, 2007, 05:30 PM
So who would like to work together to get our favorite material in to HL? Subfunk, you are really grasping the product I hope you are willing to team up. Currently I am working on Races of the Dragon and Eberron.

What my thoughts are is this:
Let us know what books you are working on and that way we don't double up on anything.

Book Person Working on it
Races of the Dragon SWChance
Eberron Campaign Setting SWChance

Chris Bradshaw
SWChance is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
subfunk

Old January 12th, 2007, 08:01 AM
I had planned on uploading when I get BoED finished, so you can count me in.

I think I'm going to wait until we get a few more things cleared up before actually uploading anything though. I really want the feats that enable special abilities to show up in the "Special" tab during gameplay. To do so will require additional tweaking of the feats before they're finalized.

As far as comitting to completing a book for the community, I'm only willing to commit to BoED at this point.

I'd like to do Book of Nine Swords as well, but that's going to require a more advanced editor that can support creating new or custom class panels. I haven't yet found any way to effectively represent maneuvers and stances in the current system but looking through the existing spell classes, I can see how the Sword Sage and other classes within BoNS could be constructed.

Cheers!

Subfunk
subfunk is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
subfunk

Old January 12th, 2007, 07:25 PM
Chris,

Hang tight. Rob's indicated some changes for the editor that may impact what you're building.

http://support.wolflair.com/index.ph...&p=22125#22125

I'm still doing the basic input, but I'll wait to construct any eval scripts until we get an update on what's changing. I think any pre-req checking will be ok...I can't imagine a lot of changes in this area given they're chimp-simple, but for complex scripting and more importantly, display, there might be some changes.

Cheers!

Subfunk
subfunk is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 12th, 2007, 07:43 PM
Changes to the stuff that's currently in place will be minor (e.g. you have to add a tag to something). So go ahead and keep working on anything that builds on what has been released thus far. And if you run into something that doesn't seem possible yet (like the special feat subfunk outlined), flag it here and move for now. And hold off on mucking with anything that hasn't been officially supported yet, since those are areas that will be seeing more substantive change (e.g. classes).

-Rob

At 08:25 PM 1/12/2007, you wrote:

Quote:
Chris,

Hang tight. Rob's indicated some changes for the editor that may impact what you're building.

http://support.wolflair.com/index.php?name=MDForum&file=viewtopic&p=22125#2212 5

I'm still doing the basic input, but I'll wait to construct any eval scripts until we get an update on what's changing. I think any pre-req checking will be ok...I can't imagine a lot of changes in this area given they're chimp-simple, but for complex scripting and more importantly, display, there might be some changes.

Cheers!

Subfunk
rob is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Nightchilde

Send a message via AIM to Nightchilde

Old January 13th, 2007, 04:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWChance
So who would like to work together to get our favorite material in to HL? Subfunk, you are really grasping the product I hope you are willing to team up. Currently I am working on Races of the Dragon and Eberron.

What my thoughts are is this:
Let us know what books you are working on and that way we don't double up on anything.

Book Person Working on it
I'm working on some Eberron stuff too, as well as a smattering of other books here and there.

I think I've figured out a way to handle Tricks from the upcoming Complete Scoundrel as well, but I don't want to say too much until I can play around with it and make sure my theories work.
Nightchilde is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 14th, 2007, 04:46 AM
Feel free to post your theories here for feedback. :-) I'd much rather spent a few minutes pointing you in the right direction and have you spend your time actually ADDING the material instead of spending lots of time trying to figure things out from the admittedly meager documentation that currently exists.

-Rob

At 05:07 AM 1/13/2007, you wrote:
Quote:
I'm working on some Eberron stuff too, as well as a smattering of other books here and there.

I think I've figured out a way to handle Tricks from the upcoming Complete Scoundrel as well, but I don't want to say too much until I can play around with it and make sure my theories work. [img]./modules/mdforum/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
rob is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Nightchilde

Send a message via AIM to Nightchilde

Old January 16th, 2007, 04:46 AM
Okie dokie then. Essentially, I'm thinking of designing them similar to barbarian literacy. Since that costs a straight up 2 skill points, and Tricks cost 2 skill points, I'm thinking that's a good place to start, then bootstrapping a description of the Trick's abilities. I'm not sure how the fact that most tricks have prerequisites might mess around with things, but I should have some idea by the end of the day as the book arrives in-stock today.

I, by no means, have sweet XML or other programming skills, but I'll give it my best shot.
Nightchilde is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 18th, 2007, 02:49 AM
I don't know anything about the Complete Scoundrel material yet - my copy is on order at my FLGS and they haven't called me yet to say it's in.

From what little you've outlined, I'd consider adding them as custom skills that have a fixed cost of two points. Look at the way that Craft and Profession skills are implemented, with the user choosing to add the ones he wants. You might treat all Tricks the same way, which would allow you to easily setup the pre-requisites and not require bootstrapping a separate thing. Colen would be the best person to offer guidance on this, so hopefully he'll be able to chime in on this tomorrow (Thursday).

By the way, XML is nothing more than a structured file format. And it's a text file. So no programming is required to muck with XML files. Based on how much you've already got figured out about how HL works, the XML stuff ought to take about 5-8 minutes to get a handle on. :-) The nuances of scripting might take a bit longer, plus a few good examples from Colen and I in some cases, but you'll get the hang of it pretty quickly.

Hope this helps,
Rob

At 05:46 AM 1/16/2007, you wrote:

Quote:
Okie dokie then. [img]./modules/mdforum/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Essentially, I'm thinking of designing them similar to barbarian literacy. Since that costs a straight up 2 skill points, and Tricks cost 2 skill points, I'm thinking that's a good place to start, then bootstrapping a description of the Trick's abilities. I'm not sure how the fact that most tricks have prerequisites might mess around with things, but I should have some idea by the end of the day as the book arrives in-stock today.

I, by no means, have sweet XML or other programming skills, but I'll give it my best shot.
rob is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
kingpaul

Send a message via AIM to kingpaul Send a message via MSN to kingpaul Send a message via Yahoo to kingpaul

Old January 19th, 2007, 01:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWChance
Um, those books are closed content. You can work on them for personal use, but you can't distribute them. That's what WotC told PCGen when we talked at GenCon '02. We thought we were following the "fair use" rules by distributing datasets based upon closed content material, but WotC informed us we were actually impinging upon their IP. Don't want to see you guys get in trouble for this.
kingpaul is offline   #9 Reply With Quote