Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Savage Worlds
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Paragon

Old March 26th, 2017, 12:05 PM
I just realized as I'm getting into these that I'm not 100% sure I'm understanding what this is needed for.

Is this needed for any Edge that has an eval script, or only those that are toggleable on and off?
Paragon is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old March 26th, 2017, 05:00 PM
Any Edge that is toggleable will already have that code, so any Edge that has a Eval script on it will need that code to make ALL of them (well, all of them with eval scripts, anyway) toggleable.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)

Last edited by zarlor; March 27th, 2017 at 06:37 AM.
zarlor is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Paragon

Old March 26th, 2017, 07:04 PM
Could you try that again, Zarlor? Am a using toggleable wrong here?
Paragon is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old March 27th, 2017, 06:46 AM
Prior to this new update you might make an Edge toggleable (using the code CC lists above) because it had an effect that was situational, so you might not want it to be on all the time. CC is saying that because of a change that will be going in any other Edge you have that has an Eval script on it will not also need to have that ability, even if they are situation. For example, the Alertness Edge just gives a flat +2 to Notice rolls, no toggle required. It does have an Eval script on it to give that +2 bonus to Notice, however. Since it isn't currently set to be a toggle CC is asking that such edges that do NOT have the toggle code listed above but that DO have Eval scripts, such as Alertness would be, show now have this toggle code added to them.

In other words by, effectively, making all Edges toggleable the new update will provide some extra functionality for us even though those Edges would not normally need to be toggleable by the way we do things now. You may never turn the toggle off, mind you, but the fact that it has that code is key to adding that new functionality. Presumably we don't need to do anything on Edges without eval scripts because I am guessing by default they will not be treated as toggleable to help satisfy the need for us to do this.

It's not that you are doing anything wrong now, it's that the new update is going to add functionality for us but that functionality requires that Edges that previously were not toggleable to now be toggleable, and if they aren't presumably the new update might actually break those Edges if they are not toggleable.

Does that make sense?

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Paragon

Old March 27th, 2017, 07:17 AM
Yeah. I just wasn't sure since I was using "toggleable" to refer to things that had a check box to activate it, that there wasn't some term-of-art for that I wasn't aware of. So I was right with my original assumption I should do this with all edges with an eval script, right?
Paragon is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old March 27th, 2017, 09:20 AM
Right.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Coming Eventually
zarlor is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Paragon

Old March 27th, 2017, 10:03 AM
Thanks, Zarlor. I was part way through it and suddenly began having second thoughts.
Paragon is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old March 27th, 2017, 11:12 AM
I guess the only thing I would add that CC mentioned in his first post is that there are really 2 parts to making an Edge truly toggleable. 1st is that code (which needs to now be on every Edge that has an eval script), second is the checkbox for "User Activation". Having that box checked makes it available to the player on the In Play tab, but for those Edges which don't really need to be turned on or off (like Alertness, since it's supposed to always provide a +2 to Notice) you do NOT need to check that box. That way you can still have the code in place that is needed for the new update, but you won't have to confuse your players with the ability to activate/deactivate something that they don't normally need to do.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Coming Eventually
zarlor is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
Paragon

Old March 27th, 2017, 06:32 PM
Yeah, I already had that set up for the one or two that are truly toggleable. In fact, I really missed that checkbox when I was trying to fix some of the code in the D&D 4e files...
Paragon is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old March 27th, 2017, 06:45 PM
I'm sorry, D&D what-e? Never heard of that one... never want to hear of that one again, in fact.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Coming Eventually
zarlor is offline   #20 Reply With Quote