Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread

RavenX
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old August 29th, 2017, 04:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blightana View Post
Online Direct.----Booooooo--- I say bad form. I think this would force a change to a subscription model. and us poor gamers are cheap. If it goes subscription, I guess I'm going back to formfill pdfs. Unless you can avoid the whole subscription thing, and still support the old purchase to own setup. and have offline access.
They are doing a subscription fee, its covered in this thread:
http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=59009

They made this announcement fairly recently.

RavenX Pronouns: She/Her

Please do not PM me to inquire about datafiles I coded "for personal use" such as Exalted, World of Darkness, AD&D, or Warhammer 40K Roleplaying. I appreciate your interest, but I do not own the Intellectual Property rights to these game systems. Nor do I have permission from any of the Publishers to distribute the data files. As such, I cannot distribute the work I have done with community on these files. They are "for personal use" only. Thank you.

I am far too busy these days to answer emails. If you message me here there is no guarantee I will get back to you at all.
RavenX is offline   #61
Skeld

Old August 29th, 2017, 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJC View Post
Most companies that convert from perpetual to subscription models typically offer a "conversion" to the new offering. Otherwise they risk alienating/losing their current install base. For LWD, there core model is selling data sets...no new data set, no incremental revenue. Converting to sub establishes a far more consistent revenue stream. I would not be surprised to see a model similar to the one DDB just released...a core sub fee w/ the option to purchase additional content. Personally, I have no issues with this model, subject to the actual prices involved.

My biggest question is how they'll handle offline access/utility. I would much rather have the data sync to device so that I don't need to be dependent on their server.
I do have an issue with that model. I have no interest in an online, subscription service.

-Skeld
Skeld is offline   #62
BJ
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 29th, 2017, 08:55 PM
Alright everyone here are the questions we've answered so far. http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=59075

I'd have had it up earlier if not for the fact that I not only have some manner of plague, but our pallets went on an adventure and I spent a good part of the day sitting in a ridiculously warm storage unit sorting through thousands of dollars worth of potentially damaged equipment.

Last edited by BJ; August 29th, 2017 at 08:59 PM.
BJ is offline   #63
Paragon

Old August 30th, 2017, 08:11 AM
I'm not going to say the clear implication that most things going forward are only going to be done in HLO thrills me (and I bet the people interested in Starfinder who are in my situation are even less thrilled) but at least it doesn't look like those of us not jumping on the HLO bus are going to immediately be thrown under it.
Paragon is offline   #64
Alewis

Old August 30th, 2017, 10:32 AM
So all is good unless you want to play Starfinder, in which case you need to pay a subscription fee in addition to the content fees.

I don't get it. From the FAQ it doesn't seem like anything is changing. What are the features?
Alewis is offline   #65
kellhorn

Old August 30th, 2017, 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alewis View Post
So all is good unless you want to play Starfinder, in which case you need to pay a subscription fee in addition to the content fees.

I don't get it. From the FAQ it doesn't seem like anything is changing. What are the features?
Not being able to use Hero Lab for Starfinder if you play in an area with spotty wi-fi and spotty cell reception/low-no data cap cell plans. And something about spaceships.
kellhorn is offline   #66
BJ
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 30th, 2017, 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alewis View Post

There are a plethora of items that this applies to that are just better suited to an article than a basic FAQ. One thing at a time. We will be releasing articles in the coming weeks outlining many items in more detail. This is the first one I intend to address.
BJ is offline   #67
Tumorseal

Old August 30th, 2017, 04:47 PM
Q: Will Hero Lab Classic support Starfinder.
A: Starfinder is a unique system with various aspects that are much better suited to Hero Lab Online. Heck, that’s why we’re focusing on Starfinder first! Consequently, we will not be offering Starfinder in Hero Lab Classic, at least initially, as it wouldn’t be as powerful or enjoyable to use.

Oh come on.

Starfinder is not that different from Pathfinder. This is kinda BS guys. You just want the hot new game to be on the new program only to force people to migrate.
Tumorseal is offline   #68
daplunk

Old August 30th, 2017, 05:04 PM
They are doing things with Starfinder that are not possible with Hero Lab.

Specifically they have mentioned the ability to have shared control and use of the spaceships between players. I assume this will allow shared content storage for example.

Hero Lab is not network aware between the players and DMs. Personally I think this is really exciting. I'm picturing a castle being built and shared among my players in a fantasy setting.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials

Last edited by daplunk; August 30th, 2017 at 05:35 PM.
daplunk is offline   #69
BJ
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 30th, 2017, 05:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
They are doing things with Starfinder that are not possible with Hero Lab.

Specifically they have mentioned the ability to have shared control and use of the spaceships between players. I assume this will allow shared content storage for example.

Hero Lab is not network aware between the players and DMs. Personally I think this is really exciting. I'm picturing a castle being build and shared among my players in a fantasy setting.
Indeed! I'm pretty excited about party loot management too! XD
BJ is offline   #70
Closed Thread