Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

kbs666

Old September 24th, 2017, 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
In a CSV, the "...." is only required around the items which have embedded commas. For simple columns it shouldn't be required.
commas, new lines and quotes actually. You need to embed all of them in quotes actually.

In a CSV file commas mark the end of a column and the new line symbol marks the end of the row. Therefore to include either one in your data you need to wrap it in quotes. Since quotes themselves are treated as a special symbol if you need to include a quotation mark you need to wrap it in quotes as well.

This is why I wrote above that for all but the most trivial CSV files it is far easier to build the file in Excel or some other spreadsheet program and then export it as a CSV rather than trying to build it by hand.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #101 Reply With Quote
K126

Old October 2nd, 2017, 03:11 AM
Thanks a lot! I was aware of the quotes, but I put them around each delimiter and not around the whole text block, which makes it obviously easier. :-)
K126 is offline   #102 Reply With Quote
Madmaxneo

Old October 3rd, 2017, 03:17 PM
What is CSV?

GM of HARP, Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Dreamchaser, Savage Worlds, and a myriad of other not so well known systems.
Software I use for gaming: Realm Works, Inspiration Pad Pro, Ebon, Aeon Timeline, Scrivener, Syrinscape, Hexagon, Fantasia Archive, OneNote, and a spreadsheet program.
Mapping programs: CC3+, MapForge, Worldographer, Xara Photo and Graphic Designer 10.
Programming experience: Java and Javascript (Maptools and PDF programming).
Madmaxneo is offline   #103 Reply With Quote
MaxSupernova

Old October 3rd, 2017, 03:33 PM
Comma Separated Values.

It's a type of file format where each column of data is separated from the next by a comma, and each row ending with a newline character.

It's a pretty universal way of sending tabular data from one place to another. Almost every data source will have a way to read CSV files.
MaxSupernova is offline   #104 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old October 3rd, 2017, 11:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxSupernova View Post
Almost every data source will have a way to read CSV files.
And now Realm Works does too (indirectly) :-)

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #105 Reply With Quote
Guyanthalas

Old October 6th, 2017, 02:46 PM
I'm importing my first CSV file into this program as I type. Its a list of all the magic spells in 5e. I'm sure I'm going to have to figure some things out with it being overly aggressive on links (curse you 'light' spell!) but I'll figure those out as I go.

This might be outside the scope of what this tool does, but it would be a nice feature to be able to export existing articles, do mass clean ups in excel, then reimport to update in bulk.

Thanks for putting time into this, its an excellent tool!

Last edited by Guyanthalas; October 6th, 2017 at 02:46 PM. Reason: spelling
Guyanthalas is offline   #106 Reply With Quote
Guyanthalas

Old October 6th, 2017, 03:06 PM
Also, got this error importing my CSV file:

Quote:
The following errors were encountered during import:

Encountered validation error for the import XML: The 'public_name' attribute is invalid - The value '' is invalid according to its datatype 'urn:lonewolfdevel.com:realm-works-export:top_level_name_type' - The actual length is less than the MinLength value.

Invalid name specified
I looked over my CSV and I don't think any of the name fields are empty. Any idea what could be going on?
Guyanthalas is offline   #107 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old October 7th, 2017, 02:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyanthalas View Post
I looked over my CSV and I don't think any of the name fields are empty. Any idea what could be going on?
Do you have a field which is a single quote character?
Perhaps something like
Quote:
... , \" , ...
Just in case the error message is misleading, the maximum length of the "public_name" is limited to 100 characters.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Farling is offline   #108 Reply With Quote
bishop618

Old October 8th, 2017, 02:55 PM
Hi, I've been getting this specific problem, with a few imports. Can someone please help me with this?
Thanks in advance

Encountered validation error for the import XML: The 'public_name' attribute is invalid - The value '' is invalid according to its datatype 'urn:lonewolfdevel.com:realm-works-export:top_level_name_type' - The actual length is less than the MinLength value.

Invalid name specified
bishop618 is offline   #109 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old October 8th, 2017, 03:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bishop618 View Post
Hi, I've been getting this specific problem, with a few imports. Can someone please help me with this?
Thanks in advance

Invalid name specified
Hi, can you PM me links to the original CSV and the resulting XML file?
I will have a look to see what is going on.

Farling

Farling is offline   #110 Reply With Quote