Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

BoomerET

Send a message via ICQ to BoomerET Send a message via Yahoo to BoomerET Send a message via Skype™ to BoomerET

Old March 24th, 2016, 07:30 PM
Hahahaha,

Thanks ruhar, you put a grin on my face.

Boomer

Castles & Crusades Ruleset for Hero Lab
Hero Lab (5E D&D) -> Fantasy Grounds Character Converter
BoomerET is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Gord

Old March 26th, 2016, 06:03 PM
Don't try to deflect the blame you two. It is very kind but we all know it was my fault. I am both a beta tester and game store owner (and once a distributor). Nobody is more guilty than me for the delays, high prices of games, the devaluation of the Canadian dollar and a recent supernova.
Gord is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
BoomerET

Send a message via ICQ to BoomerET Send a message via Yahoo to BoomerET Send a message via Skype™ to BoomerET

Old March 26th, 2016, 06:20 PM
You killed Realm Works, you ba*****.

I'll bet you're to blame for El Nino as well aren't you?

Boomer

Castles & Crusades Ruleset for Hero Lab
Hero Lab (5E D&D) -> Fantasy Grounds Character Converter
BoomerET is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Micco

Old March 27th, 2016, 12:39 PM
The lack of updates is the frustrating part. In fact, I'd have to say it is starting to feel disrespectful to a loyal customer base.

I'm moving on from RW at this point. I have a ton of stuff entered, but the lack of features and pull-back of some core capability promised has caused me to move to other ways of sharing the world with my players.

I no longer have any trust in their ability to deliver, nor that we will be given a reasonable level of transparency about the situation.

Maybe I'll come back one day when they get it all ironed out; but I suspect that the market is moving at a pace that LWD is not willing to match, and that other solutions will take over the gap they've allowed to form.
Micco is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old March 27th, 2016, 01:28 PM
What market? Show me a competitor to RW besides Obsidian Portal which is wholly inadequate. The fact is that RW is a hugely ambitious project entering a basically uncharted software market. Even after 4 or 5 years on the market no one has tried to compete with it. That is both a testament to the complexity of the task and the small size of the market.

I'm sure the 2 or 3 coders that work for LWD are spending just as much time as they can on RW between the times they have to spend updating HL which probably brings in several orders of magnitude more income for the company.
kbs666 is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Dervish

Old March 27th, 2016, 02:17 PM
The Keep which is an NBOS software campaign management software... while it does not have the prefab forms Realm Works has, it does integrate into fractal mapper,Screenmonkey(VTT), the nbos character sheet maker , inspiration pad. You cAn use PDF files,web page, text documents,and sreadsheets. You can use it from Dropbox, it prints and exports (rtf,html, and EPub). the release date for the keep was 3-13-2009

I believe that would be considered a competitor
Dervish is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old March 27th, 2016, 02:35 PM
The Keep does nothing that I need. It doesn't autolink which is a bare minimum to be competitor with RW. For something that has supposedly been in development for 7 years it is as primitive as the rest of NBOS's offerings.
kbs666 is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old March 27th, 2016, 08:30 PM
The only people who have reasonable cause to complain are kickstarter backers, which is why I often find myself wishing LWD had found another way to raise funds. As a post-kickstarter buyer, I looked at the feature set available at the time I make the purchase decision, I tried out the program within the money-back-guarantee period, decided it met my needs, and I continued using it. I might like other features, but I have no grounds to continue slamming the company in the forums.

I wish there were some Kickstarter-specific threads where Kickstarter-backer complaints could be moved, so those of use who bought the program through the website don't have to keep seeing them. Oh wait, Kickstarter has its own backer discussion functionality...

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
meek75

Old March 28th, 2016, 05:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlockHead View Post
The only people who have reasonable cause to complain are kickstarter backers, which is why I often find myself wishing LWD had found another way to raise funds. As a post-kickstarter buyer, I looked at the feature set available at the time I make the purchase decision, I tried out the program within the money-back-guarantee period, decided it met my needs, and I continued using it. I might like other features, but I have no grounds to continue slamming the company in the forums.
Hmmm, I think that is an overstatement MNBlockhead. I agree that the KS buyers have more cause for frustration. However, I bought RW more than two years ago, and at the time I had the impression, from things posted by LWD in the forums, that calendars, content markets, and journals were all on the horizon. I would never have guessed that more than two years would go by with none of those features released (I don't think LWD would have guessed that either). I am a supporter of RW and LWD. I love the product and will continue to use it unless stability becomes a problem. Still, I think it is fair for us to express some frustration at this point. Even the claim that its coming "soon" has become laughable. The margin by which release has been delayed is massive. Even people who buy the product today are doing so with the understanding that there are features in development. Granted, as time goes by and threads like this one grow, the reasonable expectations for an update dropped precipitously, but I think LWD has to expect and accept this sort of thing given the circumstances.
meek75 is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
meek75

Old March 28th, 2016, 05:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
The Keep does nothing that I need. It doesn't autolink which is a bare minimum to be competitor with RW. For something that has supposedly been in development for 7 years it is as primitive as the rest of NBOS's offerings.
I'm not sure I agree with you on this. RW is my choice for sure. The tools it currently offers fit my style and needs much better than The Keep. However, I could see how a person that values printing and export (as some vocal parties here obviously do) might choose the The Keep. The Keep also offers some built in map tools and is compatible with screenmonkey. If I were a user of Screenmonkey I might choose it. It is a GM tool intended to help organize a game world, so I think it would qualify as a competitor. I believe RW offers more value for the cost and am confident that it will out pace The Keep even more over time, but that is just my opinion.
meek75 is offline   #20 Reply With Quote