Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

muldydoona

Old August 8th, 2012, 07:59 AM
I too will be waiting for an Android version to come out even though I have an iPad aswell. I'm confused by the decision to launch on iOS as it's much more restrictive and Android allows for sales on many more manufacturers devices, hopefully the Android version isn't too far behind.
muldydoona is offline   #31 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old August 8th, 2012, 05:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by muldydoona View Post
I too will be waiting for an Android version to come out even though I have an iPad aswell. I'm confused by the decision to launch on iOS as it's much more restrictive and Android allows for sales on many more manufacturers devices, hopefully the Android version isn't too far behind.

If its iOS vs android, you have a point, but if its tablet discussion the reality is that as a developer myself, i target the iPad first. There are still a lot more iPad users out there vs android tablet users. I imagine that too will change over time, but that time isnt here yet. Personalyl, im probably not going to use it on either, but as a developer, i can fully understand their reasoning.
mirtos is offline   #32 Reply With Quote
Fuzzy

Old August 8th, 2012, 06:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRevocateur View Post
I would like this if HL actually imported into d20Pro right. As of now, I have to fix skills, modify attacks, and add actual effects to the abilities. If there was real time updates, then the things I have to fix with every import would just reset every few minutes. If
While I've never used d20Pro, This is most likely a problem on d20Pro's end, not HL. That said, what I envision is to not even HAVE a 'import' step - but when ever d20Pro, or whatever VTT we are talking about needs a bit of info, it, instead of polling it's own database, makes an API call to the HL 'server'. In this way, data is always live and correct regardless of any changes from within the VTT or outside it (via a live character sheet app, for instance).
Fuzzy is offline   #33 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 8th, 2012, 07:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRevocateur View Post
I would like this if HL actually imported into d20Pro right.
We output the data from Hero Lab that accurately reflects the character. The d20Pro software then interprets and transforms that data into what it needs. It's that second step where the problem most likely lies, so I recommend contacting the d20Pro team about any bugs that you've encountered.
rob is offline   #34 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 8th, 2012, 07:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by muldydoona View Post
I'm confused by the decision to launch on iOS as it's much more restrictive and Android allows for sales on many more manufacturers devices, hopefully the Android version isn't too far behind.
For our first venture into this arena, we are focusing *solely* on the tablet. In the *tablet* space, the iPad vastly out-numbers the Android at the present time. On top of that, there are some major differences between all the different Android devices. Any native Android application has to successfully grapple with all of these differences.

If you'll recall from our announcement, our strategy is to tackle this incrementally. The Android platform, with all its wide-ranging devices and specs, simply makes for a more complicated task. That's counter to our strategy, which makes the iPad a better platform for us to tackle first.
rob is offline   #35 Reply With Quote
Fuzzy

Old August 9th, 2012, 09:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
For our first venture into this arena, we are focusing *solely* on the tablet. In the *tablet* space, the iPad vastly out-numbers the Android at the present time. On top of that, there are some major differences between all the different Android devices. Any native Android application has to successfully grapple with all of these differences.

If you'll recall from our announcement, our strategy is to tackle this incrementally. The Android platform, with all its wide-ranging devices and specs, simply makes for a more complicated task. That's counter to our strategy, which makes the iPad a better platform for us to tackle first.
Unless you go web based...
Fuzzy is offline   #36 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 9th, 2012, 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Unless you go web based...
Please see my earlier post in this thread where I responded to *exactly* this same contention from you.
rob is offline   #37 Reply With Quote
cryptoknight
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old August 9th, 2012, 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirtos View Post
20 minutes? i dunno, but it sounds ot me like something is wrong with your computer.

both my mac and pc load combats in a very short time. both of them have dial code and 4MB RAM. What else are you running when you're doing this??
Nothing... not a single thing.

Windows 7 Pro x64 boots up, I launch HL... I load more than 5-6 NPCs into a profile to start the tactical console and we start chugging.

I had to load a combat for a Shadowrun Missions game I was running on tuesday, when I loaded the 18th NPC in... the PC locked up...

It could be the Shadowrun Ruleset for all I know. My 16 GB Quad Core system rocks this stuff... my Dual core 4GB 64-bit laptop dies. In this case literally... I've never had it overheat and shutdown due to temps before, but it did.
cryptoknight is offline   #38 Reply With Quote
cryptoknight
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old August 9th, 2012, 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
That sure sounds like something is seriously different on your Xoom. How large are the portfolios you're loading (i.e. how many characters)? And what's the CPU on that device?

To my knowledge, those are the two biggest factors when loading for use in the Tactical Console, but Colen is the expert on that.
The Xoom is my android tablet

The Laptop that locks up is this one.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...wms_ohs_produc

The only changes to the stock model I've made are to replace the HD with a 7200 rpm 750 GB one, and to install Windows 7 x64 Pro. The machine runs pretty good for its age... But HL causes it to struggle.
cryptoknight is offline   #39 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 11th, 2012, 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptoknight View Post
Windows 7 Pro x64 boots up, I launch HL... I load more than 5-6 NPCs into a profile to start the tactical console and we start chugging.

I had to load a combat for a Shadowrun Missions game I was running on tuesday, when I loaded the 18th NPC in... the PC locked up...
Can you please send us the portfolio(s) that you are loading? Then we can load them up ourselves and profile what's being used. Hopefully, that will yield some clues as to what's going on.

Please note that we leave for GenCon on Tuesday, so it's not likely we'll get much time to investigate this before we leave. Thanks in advance for your patience!

Oh, please send the portfolios to rob at wolflair dot com and I'll make sure they get routed appropriately.
rob is offline   #40 Reply With Quote