Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Captain Victory

Old June 11th, 2011, 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam.Ormond View Post
What's everyone's License Reassignment date?
The day I bought the product.

Which prompts me to ask a question which may be a bit off-topic: when you buy access to new data packages, do you absolutely have to re-assign the license? Going by the email I received when I made my first purchases, it would seem that was the case:

"- ADD-ON COMPONENT PURCHASES -

If you purchased optional components for an existing license (e.g. a new game system or add-on package for Hero Lab), access to those components has now been updated on our server. In order to utilize those components, you must run the "Re-Activate License" wizard under the "License" menu to update the authorizations within the product. You may also need to retrieve the components via the integrated Updates mechanism within the product.
"

Emphasis mine.

If that is indeed the case, and the re-assignments are limited, how do I go about purchasing new products? Or does it automatically update to allow for an immediate re-assignment? It seems a little-counter-intuitive at best.

Initially I thought that this might be the core of my issue (that was prior to hopping onto the forums and seeing this was some sort of installer error) - but, all things considered, I'm a bit confused by the language in the email. Can anyone help clarify?
Captain Victory is offline   #41 Reply With Quote
Adam.Ormond

Old June 11th, 2011, 04:54 PM
Good catch -- I purchased the APG my first day of owning HeroLab. Maybe that's why it marked it Reassigned?
Adam.Ormond is offline   #42 Reply With Quote
TheDivider

Old June 12th, 2011, 03:09 AM
I very much hope that license reassignment can be handled today, even though it is a weekend. I updated my licensed version of M&M v.3 yesterday and mine is now similarly stuck in unlicensed demonstration mode, while I am trying to prepare for a game five hours from now.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Edit: To provide additional information for bug-squashing purposes (since this appears to be a bug), I am using Win 7, 64 bit, all service packs/updates installed. I also installed the game in its default directory and have not moved it since installation. I posted additional details about my installation in this thread in hopes it might help.

Last edited by TheDivider; June 12th, 2011 at 03:48 AM.
TheDivider is offline   #43 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old June 15th, 2011, 11:02 AM
FYI - if you use the "Reactivate License" menu option to reactivate your license to get access to new supplements, that will NOT count towards your license transfers. Your license transfers are only used when something about your computer changes, not when you reactivate your license to update to a new version of Hero Lab or activate new packages.
Colen is offline   #44 Reply With Quote
Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old June 15th, 2011, 11:13 AM
The confusion may be due to people, as posted in various threads around here, seeing a changed license date when viewing online. There's either a cosmetic change (the date shows that they talked to the server to verify their license when they installed the updated) or something's going screwy and the update is requesting a license assignment (for some people, putting it within their period when they can reassign without hassle). I will try to check that when I get home (can't access the website from here) to see if my dates changed when I updated.
Duggan is offline   #45 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old June 15th, 2011, 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam.Ormond View Post
Good catch -- I purchased the APG my first day of owning HeroLab. Maybe that's why it marked it Reassigned?
Below is a quote from a post about this in a separate thread where you brought up this possibility. The quote is here.

The laptop license reassignment was due to a change-over on our end. Some computers running Windows 7 64-bit were generating a system code that was partially flawed. We integrated the fix in a way that it is automatically allowed to be re-assigned a single time when it is detected, even if the waiting period has not elapsed. I checked your license (using the email address tied to your forum account) and verified that this is what happened on one of your computers.

The above situation is why your license history shows that your license was re-assigned on one of your computers and not on the other.

In addition, for all users, the day your license is first activated also shows as the last date of assignment. Prior to its initial use, the license is not assigned to anything. When it is first assigned, that date is then logged. If your theory above were correct, then you would not have been able to re-activate the license after obtaining the APG.

Hope this helps to clarify....
rob is offline   #46 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old June 15th, 2011, 11:50 AM
For anyone running into this issue, please verify one important detail first. It appears that some users are re-using the same license number on multiple computers without being aware of the need for a secondary license. This will always trigger a conflict when a new Hero Lab update is released, since the same license number can't be used on two different computers successfully unless the 120-day waiting period elapses.

If you have been inadvertently doing this, please go to the License menu and use the option to obtain a secondary license. The first secondary license is FREE, and it is intended to solve this problem for users who want to run HL on two computers (e.g. desktop and laptop).
rob is offline   #47 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old June 15th, 2011, 11:52 AM
For some of you, Hero Lab is thinking your computer's identity has changed when it shouldn't. Nancy is giving top priority to anyone reporting the need for an early license reassignment via the form provided through the wizard in HL, so most users with this problem are back up and running within 24 hours of reporting it.

We still haven't figured out what the cause of this is, so please bear with us. This is a complex problem and we've been on the road at PaizoCon for much of the past week. Details about what version of Windows is being used, 64-bit or not, and like are most helpful in trying to narrow down the cause, so please continue to provide that info.
rob is offline   #48 Reply With Quote
Gaomachine

Old June 16th, 2011, 01:03 PM
Registered to mention that I'm having the same issue. I turned on Hero lab yesterday, it told me that there was a new version of both the Mutants and Masterminds 3e data and the new version of hero lab. I told it to download and install the updates and since then I've been stuck in demo mode. I've already filled out my early renewal and am just waiting on it to go through.

I haven't used my secondary install yet so this is the only machine of mine that should be running HL, and it is indeed Windows 7 64 bit.
Gaomachine is offline   #49 Reply With Quote
Greentrees

Old June 23rd, 2011, 04:58 PM
I'm not stuck in demo mode but I got to say that having to reneter my registration information for a program update is a shoddy piece of work.

I do have a problem though! My problem is that I cannot upgrade the Pathfinder and D20 files until I have updated HL to 3.7. It already at 3.7. WTF??
Greentrees is offline   #50 Reply With Quote