Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Tom B

Old May 1st, 2010, 11:29 AM
Right clicking and selecting "Run As Administrator" did indeed work. I'm relatively new to Windows 7, and was not aware that I was doing anything other than as an administrator. Is there anyway to set that as a default? I'm not aware that I set up any other type of accounts...

In any case, thanks!
Tom B is offline   #31 Reply With Quote
Maidhc O Casain

Old May 1st, 2010, 12:11 PM
Not sure about W7, but in older versions you can indeed set this as the default - but you have to do it for each program separately.

Right click on the .exe file that runs the program, go to the compatibility tab and it's toward the bottom (at least in XP/Vista).
Maidhc O Casain is offline   #32 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 2nd, 2010, 12:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom B View Post
Right clicking and selecting "Run As Administrator" did indeed work. I'm relatively new to Windows 7, and was not aware that I was doing anything other than as an administrator. Is there anyway to set that as a default? I'm not aware that I set up any other type of accounts...

In any case, thanks!
I'm glad that got things sorted out for you. If you want to set the Administrator behavior for a single program, you can do as I outlined at the end of my post above. However, it sounds like you want to switch to Administrator mode for your account as a whole. Doing so affords you with greater flexibility in some ways, but it also imposes greater responsibility on the user, since some of the safeguards built into Windows are lost if you run in Administrator mode all the time. So it's a trade-off that should be considered before making the change.

When you create a new user account, you decide whether the account has Administrator privileges or not. You can go back and change this for an existing non-Administrator account, but there can be annoying ramifications in doing so. The problem stems from the fact that Windows does special handling and "pretends" certain files live in one place when they actually live somewhere else for non-Administrator accounts. Once you switch this behavior, these files will no longer be where you (or your programs) think they are. This can cause all sorts of confusion.

You'll find details on this issue in the thread below. The thread is for our Army Builder product, but the behaviors with Windows are identical for Hero Lab.
http://forums.wolflair.com/showpost....5&postcount=15

If you want to change the behavior of the user account, then I recommend you either create a new account for this purpose or plan to re-install Hero Lab from scratch after the change. You may also need to re-install other programs as well, depending on whether they are impacted by this issue.

Hope this helps....
rob is offline   #33 Reply With Quote