Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

lortondm

Old May 17th, 2013, 06:40 PM
I'm really loving the iPad app. It's fantastic. Kudos to the company for developing that!

Also, I recently discovered the various third party datafiles that exist and I've downloaded those and set them up as secondary source updates. So, for instance, I installed RavenX's Dark Sun files and a bunch of others.

So I can create a Dark Sun Gladiator with the Gold Dwarf race from Forgotten Realms (FR being another new dataset I downloaded). Works fine inside Hero Lab on my desktop. But how do I get the associated files/data that stand behind that character/portfolio onto the iPad?

As things stand now when I send the gold dwarf gladiator to my iPad and open it, a bunch of errors pop up and it's missing most of the data associated with that character.

Computer geniuses on the forum, please tell me it's possible to mix and match all these exotic things and get them onto the iPad app, too? Thanks.
lortondm is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
RavenX
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old May 17th, 2013, 07:56 PM
lortondm,

I am pleased to hear you are making use of the datafiles I have created, I am glad that others are getting use from these data releases. Personally I do not know about the ipad app myself, I only just recently acquired an ipad and the app and haven't had time to play around with it so I am not sure if it support user created datafiles at this time.

I believe you can find more answers to your inquiries via the HL for ipad thread below:

http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=22071

As far as I know all ipad discussions are handled in the following section forum:

http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43

Best Regards,

RavenX
RavenX is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
lortondm

Old May 17th, 2013, 08:19 PM
Thanks, RavenX. I can export through HL my user file and then bring that into iPad but don't know how to do what I'm asking about above.
lortondm is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
RavenX

Old May 17th, 2013, 08:56 PM
As I said, I am not sure how the Ipad app works personally. I'm still figuring out how to transfer things from the computer to the ipad myself. I spent two nights trying to figure out how to move a pdf to the ipad. One of the threads in the other section of the forum may give some insight, and if not one of the programmers that knows how the app works may be able to give some insight on it. I just program data right now. I don't have a lot of experience with apple operating systems and such.
RavenX is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Chemlak

Old May 18th, 2013, 02:46 AM
You need to set up update links, just like you did for the PC version, on the iPad.

Tap the "View Updates" button on the iPad app (on the first screen), and towards the bottom right tap "add new update source". Put in the URL for the updates you want to access. They then appear in the main window of that page. Tap them individually to add them to the updates that your iPad version loads up. Install the updates (it brings up a drop down, you just tap each one, IIRC).

Done.
Chemlak is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Jobe00

Old July 12th, 2013, 05:23 PM
What do you do when the datafiles are yours and aren't anywhere online?

Will I have to upload them somewhere to get them on my iPad?
Jobe00 is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Chemlak

Old July 13th, 2013, 01:20 AM
I believe there is a way to load them directly onto the iPad, but to be honest, I can't remember how to do it. I set up my updates for online hosting, just like the community datafiles, because most of my players also own HeroLab, and it just made sense.
Chemlak is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old July 15th, 2013, 02:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobe00 View Post
What do you do when the datafiles are yours and aren't anywhere online?

Will I have to upload them somewhere to get them on my iPad?
Their are several ways to do this. You can use iTunes but to me its clunky. If the file is small which I assume it is you can just email it to yourself (an email on the iPad) and then have HL open the .hl file.

Their are a good number of apps that allow you to transfer files from the computer to your iPad. I have a FTP server and just FTP things off my computer but their are other ways.

You can also put the .hl file into drop box and download the file to the iPad. Then tell it to open with HL app. That is a easy to use method and DropBox is free to use. Any cloud based software should work also.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #8 Reply With Quote