Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old October 5th, 2017, 09:47 AM
The monthly access fee is the same for many different services. I pay for a encrypted cloud backup service that has a monthly fee. If I stop paying the service fee I no longer have access to my data.

I still play World of Warcraft and it has a monthly fee. If I stop paying the monthly fee I lose access to my characters and ability to play.

In both the above cases I have the opportunity to restart the service fee later and gain access to my data/characters. WoW is like 10 years before they delete your stuff. The backup service is like 3 months.

I am pretty sure HLO will be more like WoW in that you start paying again and all your licenses are still present and working even many years later. Plus you have the opportunity to print your character before you cancel the service. I also assume you can export the .por file. Either way making it fairly painless to restart the service at a later date.

No one is holding a gun to your head to start or pay the HLO service fee. If you don't like how HLO works then please vote with your wallet and don't subscribe.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #171 Reply With Quote
talsharien

Old October 5th, 2017, 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfyre View Post
Nope, I looked it up again.

"the practice of obtaining something, especially money, through force or threats."

If you don't pay the extortion fee, you lose access to your stuff in any real usable format. You lose access to all of the data packages you've bought and paid for.

Loss of access and the money you've sunk into data packages is the threat.

I do not like the lose everything part of the arrangement. If I pay for the starfinder data package I should always be able to make a simple character / ships and update them as they level using the data packs I've bought without paying an extortion fee. If they want to charge extra for advanced features to make gameplay easier over and above character creation / leveling, god bless, that's fair.
Don't buy it then...... Simples!
talsharien is offline   #172 Reply With Quote
LazarX

Old October 5th, 2017, 03:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfyre View Post
Nope, I looked it up again.

"the practice of obtaining something, especially money, through force or threats."

If you don't pay the extortion fee, you lose access to your stuff in any real usable format. You lose access to all of the data packages you've bought and paid for.

Loss of access and the money you've sunk into data packages is the threat.

I do not like the lose everything part of the arrangement. If I pay for the starfinder data package I should always be able to make a simple character / ships and update them as they level using the data packs I've bought without paying an extortion fee. If they want to charge extra for advanced features to make gameplay easier over and above character creation / leveling, god bless, that's fair.
It's only extortion if someone put a gun at your head to start using the service in the first place. Using the service is a voluntary action just as starting rent on your apartment. The consequences of losing access are a result of you deciding to stop renting the service. You are not forced to use Online unless you want access to Starfinder. You'll otherwise still have all of the capabilities you had with Herolab up to this point.
LazarX is offline   #173 Reply With Quote
vardeman

Old October 5th, 2017, 11:11 PM
They could avoid the whole issue if they'd just make Starfinder character creation available thru HLC.
vardeman is offline   #174 Reply With Quote
talsharien

Old October 5th, 2017, 11:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vardeman View Post
They could avoid the whole issue if they'd just make Starfinder character creation available thru HLC.
Perhaps, but we as customers have to accept that this is not the model they have chosen and move on (whether we like it or not).
talsharien is offline   #175 Reply With Quote
vardeman

Old October 6th, 2017, 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by talsharien View Post
Perhaps, but we as customers have to accept that this is not the model they have chosen and move on (whether we like it or not).
And move on I shall. I know personally 10 people who will not pay a subscription fee in order to use HLO and each of them is in multiple groups. Word of mouth is a powerful thing.

Sure, it's only a $2/month charge... But when they decide, hey, $2 isn't enough to keep the servers running, lets make it $5... or $10... or $50?

I'm sorry, you can't have what you paid for until you keep coughing up more moola.
vardeman is offline   #176 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old October 6th, 2017, 11:54 AM
I know a good 20 that would never use HLC because it doesn't support Android. And yes, I suspect word of mouth is going to work really well in this situation.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #177 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old October 6th, 2017, 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vardeman View Post
And move on I shall. I know personally 10 people who will not pay a subscription fee in order to use HLO and each of them is in multiple groups. Word of mouth is a powerful thing.

Sure, it's only a $2/month charge... But when they decide, hey, $2 isn't enough to keep the servers running, lets make it $5... or $10... or $50?

I'm sorry, you can't have what you paid for until you keep coughing up more moola.
Toblakai is offline   #178 Reply With Quote
jimthegray

Old October 6th, 2017, 03:26 PM
personally i cannot wait to get herolab online but maybe thats just me
jimthegray is offline   #179 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old October 6th, 2017, 03:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimthegray View Post
personally i cannot wait to get herolab online but maybe thats just me
Same! I am so looking forward to a new interface, Hero lab is a nice program, but the interface is dated. Web based/connected interface has a lot of potential. I think the nay-sayers are just afraid of change.
Toblakai is offline   #180 Reply With Quote