Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

DickNervous

Old November 17th, 2017, 02:36 PM
Thanks Farling!

When I do the import it puts the live URL into the field in RW and I just click on it and the browser opens up with the image. I was hoping that it would put the actual image in there, but I am assuming that the issue is that the URL is to an API that generates the image, not an actual image file.

The only drawback to it working like this is that it would require an active Internet connection to work, which 99% of the time isn't an issue at all. So don't go crazy trying to figure it out.
DickNervous is offline   #151 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old November 17th, 2017, 03:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DickNervous View Post
When I do the import it puts the live URL into the field in RW and I just click on it and the browser opens up with the image. I was hoping that it would put the actual image in there, but I am assuming that the issue is that the URL is to an API that generates the image, not an actual image file.

The only drawback to it working like this is that it would require an active Internet connection to work, which 99% of the time isn't an issue at all. So don't go crazy trying to figure it out.
Drop the column name onto the portrait/picture icon in the topic view, don't drop it into a normal text box. The tool will then fetch the image from the URL during the conversion process. (see attached picture)
Attached Images
File Type: png drop-picture.png (37.1 KB, 8 views)

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #152 Reply With Quote
DickNervous

Old November 17th, 2017, 06:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
Drop the column name onto the portrait/picture icon in the topic view, don't drop it into a normal text box. The tool will then fetch the image from the URL during the conversion process. (see attached picture)
That is part of what I was doing wrong, but didn't solve the issue.

When I do the generate it tells me that the file was not found at the URL (because there is no actual file to find) and the URL is in the annotation. However, when I put the URL directly into RW by clicking the Folder Icon and entering it into the file box, it works.

For example, if I put this url, http://travellermap.com/api/jumpmap?...e=print&jump=1, as the file name I get the attached image.

I think the issue is that you are checking for a file, and when it doesn't exist, it puts the path (in this case the URL) in the annotation and nothing is put in the field for the actual file name. I assume that if the file doesn't exist the import into RW will fail, so it makes sense to do that check. However, in this particular case there is no file to find. Is there any way you can make that checking for the file something you can turn on or off? Like an INI file setting or something?

Thanks again for all your work on this awesome tool! Even if this one thing never works, it will save me HUGE amounts of time and effort getting data into RW.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RW Map Example.JPG (32.5 KB, 5 views)
DickNervous is offline   #153 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old November 18th, 2017, 03:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DickNervous View Post
For example, if I put this url, http://travellermap.com/api/jumpmap?...e=print&jump=1, as the file name I get the attached image.
Unfortunately the above link provides a full HTML page, not just an image, so it isn't a trivial task to parse the HTML returned by the web site in order to find the image link within it.

It is returning a page that says that the URL has been relocated to https://travellermap.com/api/jumpmap...e=print&jump=1

So if the "http:" at the start of your URLs is changed to "https:" then the import works properly :-)

The original location of the image (either URL or filename) is put into the snippet as the 'annotation' so that users know where it came from.

It seems that the web site is issuing a redirect from the http: address to the https: address, but my tool isn't handling the redirect properly.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Last edited by Farling; November 18th, 2017 at 04:17 AM.
Farling is offline   #154 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old November 18th, 2017, 04:38 AM
Version 1.17 of the tool has been released which attempts to follow web redirection instructions when fetching images from a web URL.

Farling

Farling is offline   #155 Reply With Quote
Bidmaron

Old November 18th, 2017, 06:28 AM
Dang Farling, you are awesome.
Bidmaron is offline   #156 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old November 18th, 2017, 09:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bidmaron View Post
Dang Farling, you are awesome.
It helps me learn other parts of Qt

Farling

Farling is offline   #157 Reply With Quote
Viking2054

Old November 18th, 2017, 03:01 PM
Can't you right click the image in the web browser and save it locally? Wouldn't that give you a permanent local copy of the map you like and make it much easier to import into RW without having to use Farling's most excellent tool?
Viking2054 is offline   #158 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old November 18th, 2017, 03:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking2054 View Post
Can't you right click the image in the web browser and save it locally? Wouldn't that give you a permanent local copy of the map you like and make it much easier to import into RW without having to use Farling's most excellent tool?
If you have 100+ planets to enter into your Traveller campaign, then having the image automatically downloaded as part of the import process is a lot quicker than doing right-click/save-as 100+ times :-)

Farling

Farling is offline   #159 Reply With Quote
Viking2054

Old November 18th, 2017, 07:31 PM
not if there is a redirect problem though, right? Anyway, right clicking is a work around, easy or not as one might think. Wouldn't you also have to copy 100's of URL's?
Viking2054 is offline   #160 Reply With Quote