Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Shadowrun

Notices

Seeker1728

Old February 17th, 2016, 02:04 AM
I've created a few custom mentor spirits to round out the rather spartan selection that 5E has available. While I've had no trouble adding their advantages from the tables provided, adding customized disadvantages are proving to be a issue.

I've wanted to create my own disadvantages for the mentor spirits I created, which I figured I could add in via the "Mentor Spirit Power" tab, since that's where the canon spirits have their disadvantages listed. But after entering the flavor text and checking the desired resistance stats the custom disadvantage does not appear in the same table as the canon disadvantages do.

Typically my editing efforts are done by comparing existing content, studying it, and then in a sense reverse engineering to my end goal. But I'm stumped on this and even after studying the author kit pdf I haven't been able to suss out how to add my custom content to the prepackaged content of the mentor spirit disadvantage table. (hope I explained that well enough )

A secondary question is, should I make it a habit to always go into the "Sources" field and check the "user content" box? Or should I generally not worry about that?
Seeker1728 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 17th, 2016, 11:19 AM
Okay, so on the Mentor Spirit Power table, you created a new entry to serve as the disadvantage for your mentor spirit, right?

The key setting in that case is the "Advantage or Disadvantage" option, which is set to "Negative Quality".

Then, after creating the disadvantage, you used the "Test Now!" button to add that new thing to HL, and then on the mentor spirit tab, you went into the Disadvantages option, and selected the new thing you created. Then, you tested the mentor spirit.

Now, when you add that mentor spirit to the character, on the Magic tab, the disadvantage isn't showing on the Magic tab? Is that the error you're seeing?
Mathias is online now   #2 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 17th, 2016, 11:21 AM
The intent for the "User Content" source was that users would create new sources that use "User Content" as the parent of that source, rather than selecting "User Content" directly.

Sources are important if you want to be able to have a game without the content you're adding - if it all has a source, and you're playing in another GM's game (or in SRM), you can turn off the source, which will hide everything you created for that other campaign. If that's not important to you, then sources aren't really important.
Mathias is online now   #3 Reply With Quote
Seeker1728

Old February 17th, 2016, 01:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
Okay, so on the Mentor Spirit Power table, you created a new entry to serve as the disadvantage for your mentor spirit, right?

The key setting in that case is the "Advantage or Disadvantage" option, which is set to "Negative Quality".

Then, after creating the disadvantage, you used the "Test Now!" button to add that new thing to HL, and then on the mentor spirit tab, you went into the Disadvantages option, and selected the new thing you created. Then, you tested the mentor spirit.

Now, when you add that mentor spirit to the character, on the Magic tab, the disadvantage isn't showing on the Magic tab? Is that the error you're seeing?
Hello Mathias, many thanks for replying. I'm not sure what I did differently when I posted initially, but after following your quote above to the letter, my custom disadvantage appeared in the table. Feeling rather dumb at the moment as all of the steps you mentioned are obvious ones that I'm aware of and typically do, but I must've overlooked one of them and couldn't see the forest because of the trees .

Again, thank you Sir, though embarrassed, you made my day.
Seeker1728 is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 17th, 2016, 01:41 PM
If you could see the mentor spirit, but it didn't add that disadvantage when added, and if everything had worked correctly while adding things (the disadvantage showed up properly to select on the mentor spirit, meaning you didn't forget to test the disadvantage after creating it), the first thing I'd look at is the sources on your mentor spirit and the disadvantage - that sort of error could be created if the disadvantage had a source, and the mentor spirit didn't, and the source wasn't turned on during testing.
Mathias is online now   #5 Reply With Quote
Seeker1728

Old February 18th, 2016, 01:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
If you could see the mentor spirit, but it didn't add that disadvantage when added, and if everything had worked correctly while adding things (the disadvantage showed up properly to select on the mentor spirit, meaning you didn't forget to test the disadvantage after creating it), the first thing I'd look at is the sources on your mentor spirit and the disadvantage - that sort of error could be created if the disadvantage had a source, and the mentor spirit didn't, and the source wasn't turned on during testing.
Hello again Mathias;

Thanks for your follow up post, as it turns out that's what i was doing wrong. I had a last spirit I had to finish up from my initial to do list, and was running into the same problem again. Double checking, I saw that I had a source checked for the disadvantage that the mentor spirit itself didn't have. Unchecked it and everything worked out just fine. Definitely remembering that going forward.
Seeker1728 is offline   #6 Reply With Quote