Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

MNBlockHead

Old September 11th, 2015, 09:01 PM
WoTC just put up its 7th survey. I made sure to complete it honestly and to tell them why I am not buying their published adventures: I don't like DMing an adventure from a book and urged them to make their material available in RealmWorks.

Survey here:

http://sgiz.mobi/s3/D-D-5e-Elements-Survey-7

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old September 11th, 2015, 09:27 PM
I must say I wasn't surprised by the content of the survey. Just another expedition in what can we regurgitate to get into your wallet by our "friends" at WOC. Though did find it interesting that they are gathering ammo for an attack at the Gencon promoters...
I can here it now... Our survey has shown that most of the people that we surveyed don't care that we attend your venue, naturally we have to follow what the masses have suggested.
Unless, of course, you make it lucrative for us not to listen to them.....

BTW, Thanks for the link MNB.... Like you I don't DM out of the can and certainly not regurgitated adventures stolen from the best, original campaign setting...... Greyhawk.

Lastly, I was on the beta review for 5e, and after more than a year of "reviewing" I simply couldn't embrace it. But some find it acceptable, and such is their choice.... it just saddens me that WOC spends so much time Re-inventing rulesets instead of supporting what's in place AND then expect the masses to continually cough up $100+ to keep re-buying the latest rendition / edition. You would think after all this time WOC would wake up and realize Paizo (and other third partys) have been kicking their A#^ with 3.5 / 3.75 for YEARS.

Just my 2cp
DLG

D&D> Pre 1e White Box Edition, 1e, 2e, 3.5 Currently, Set in the World of Greyhawk (The first, longest running and Best Campaign Setting)
Software>Extensive use of all forms of MS Products, Visual Studio 2012, DAZ 3d, AutoCAD, Adobe Products.
Gaming Specific>Campaign Cartographer, D20 Pro Alpha & BattleGrounds Beta Tester, World Builder, Dungeon Crafter, LWD Hero Lab, Realm Works, Inkwell Ideas Citybuilder & Dungeon Builder, Auto-Realm, Dundjinni
Contributing Writer for TSR, WOC, & Canonfire
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old September 11th, 2015, 09:47 PM
WotC/Hasbro has already eliminated their presence at Gen Con; another company organizes Adventurer's League events on their behalf and (according to reports) WotC staff participation and "swag support" was minimal this year. The company running those events had a backlash because people had paid quite a bit for All-Access passes which had better benefits in previous years. The organizers eventually got WotC/Hasbro to give them some extra stuff to hand out.

My guess is if WotC/Hasbro wants to have a summer event of some kind going forward it'll be at PAX Prime.

Last edited by Parody; September 11th, 2015 at 10:08 PM.
Parody is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old September 11th, 2015, 09:49 PM
Wizards/Hasbro blew it with 4th. 3.5 was a great rule set and everyone I knew was very happy with it. Then 4th came out and it was an abomination. So we all went to Pathfinder and never looked back. Now our investment is simply too large to seriously consider switching back no matter how good 5e might be. And this is coming from someone who has been playing something called D&D since the blue box in the late 70's.
kbs666 is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old September 11th, 2015, 10:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
WotC/Hasbro has already eliminated their presence at Gen Con; another company organizes Adventurer's League events on their behalf and (according to reports) WotC staff participation and "swag support" was minimal this year. The company running those events had a backlash because people had paid quite a bit for All-Access passes which had better benefits in previous years. The organizers eventually got WotC/Hasbro to give them some extra stuff to hand out.

My guess is if WotC/Hasbro wants to have a summer event of some kind going forward it'll be at PAX Prime.
Interesting.... especially since their questionnaire didn't out right leave the impression that they had already pulled the plug... Thanks for the update of clarity Parody....

And your assessment of Pax being the the new target was my thought as well. Especially the one question that asked " If we were to go somewhere else would you go there instead" ....... INTERESTING

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
Wizards/Hasbro blew it with 4th. 3.5 was a great rule set and everyone I knew was very happy with it. Then 4th came out and it was an abomination. So we all went to Pathfinder and never looked back.
Agreed, but their failure to know the pulse of the market began before the release of 4e.. it actually started with removing Dragon / Dungeon magazines from the control of Paizo (Eric Mona and friends) and thinking hat a digital sale by article was a good idea....

Quote:
Now our investment is simply too large to seriously consider switching back no matter how good 5e might be.
True, Kinda... but for some, 5e was to make it more simplistic, less of a campaign and more of a quick start game system. For others, it was WOC's attempt at trying to draw back the old gurnards that played 1e and 2e while still hanging on to the 4e players. Hence the "Rebirth" of such classics as The Temple of Elemental Evil ( a Greyhawk 2e original) and soon to come others that they hope to lure the 1/2e back to the table with past glories.... the problem is........... they failed to realize ...............WE DIDNT LEAVE THE TABLE, we just left them behind.

My Greyhawk campaign has been going on 30years this past June, and has had over a hundred PCs and over a thousand NPCs scattered through out literal and Fantasy world generations.
Quote:
And this is coming from someone who has been playing something called D&D since the blue box in the late 70's.
Welcome Fellow Gurnard... hehe and thanks for being my 500th post.

D&D> Pre 1e White Box Edition, 1e, 2e, 3.5 Currently, Set in the World of Greyhawk (The first, longest running and Best Campaign Setting)
Software>Extensive use of all forms of MS Products, Visual Studio 2012, DAZ 3d, AutoCAD, Adobe Products.
Gaming Specific>Campaign Cartographer, D20 Pro Alpha & BattleGrounds Beta Tester, World Builder, Dungeon Crafter, LWD Hero Lab, Realm Works, Inkwell Ideas Citybuilder & Dungeon Builder, Auto-Realm, Dundjinni
Contributing Writer for TSR, WOC, & Canonfire

Last edited by Dark Lord Galen; September 11th, 2015 at 10:25 PM. Reason: My 500th Post
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old September 11th, 2015, 11:15 PM
Don't take me wrong, I like what I've seen of 5e. I just am not interested in trying to convince my players to give up Pathfinder or personally abandoning my own shelf full of 3.5/3.75 products.

Leaving Gencon is simply put a terrible idea. I know they must look like the odd man out compared to Paizo but WotC is still the owner of D&D and that is the legacy of Gygax and Gary founded GenCon it just wouldn't be right to not have them there.
kbs666 is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old September 12th, 2015, 12:37 AM
I know that WotC sent one person to the Ennies to pick up their awards this last year, but I think he was alone.
Aaron is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old September 12th, 2015, 04:01 AM
Filling in some things:

Mike Mearls (Lead Designer on 5e) said in an interview (linked below) that it's better to give announcements at PAX (Prime) than at Gen Con because they get more people for those at PAX Prime. Gen Con has more people playing games, so they concentrate on gaming events there. They don't do booths at either.

Tome Show Interview with Mike Mearls at Gen Con 2015 (Convention stuff starts around 14:25.) - Summary at ENWorld

Baldman Games is the company that runs D&D AL events at Gen Con and organizes the Winter Fantasy convention. Some items relating to this year's issues:
Statement on the 2015 All Access Program, 2015 AAP Update, and threads from the Baldman Games forums, Gen Con forums (starting at post-Gen Con posts), and Wizards forums

As best I can tell Mike Mearls and Jeremy Crawford were the WotC folks at Gen Con. (Jeremy may have been the one accepting their ENnies.)

On 5e: I have the three main books, and while I'd like to give it a try sometime in a home campaign I haven't played it yet. What I've read makes me think my roommate, a long-time AD&D 2nd Ed. DM who skipped 3.x/PF and 4, might enjoy this version. I haven't convinced him, though.

On a Gen Con presence: I can see both sides here. There's a lot of "out of sight, out of mind" when it comes to not having a presence, even for non-attendees (who might be looking for announcements and other media coverage). However, companies like Games Workshop don't attend Gen Con either and they don't seem to be hurt by not being there. Making their major convention one in their home city (even though its primary focus isn't tabletop gaming) is very attractive, I'm sure. I don't know if that means they continue as they have been or they move even more of their efforts to PAX Prime, but I doubt we'll see any increases in WotC/Hasbro presence outside of Seattle any time soon.

Last edited by Parody; September 12th, 2015 at 04:08 AM.
Parody is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old September 12th, 2015, 10:26 PM
I don't want to get into a WoTC debate here—I really don't have the knowledge to participate meaningfully in such a debate. I played 1st edition and that was it. Never bought 2nd edition and basically stopped roleplaying one I was in college. I've read so many stories similar to mine. Folks that DM'd and played decades ago that got back into roleplaying with DnD 5e. My understanding is that was part of WoTC's market strategy. Bring old players back into the fold and attract brand new players.

I'm at irrational fan-boy levels of love of DnD 5e. This is in part due to the fact that I've not played any TTRPG for a long time, so I'm just happy to be DMing again. It is also partly due to my lack of exposure to other systems (back in the day I played Warhammer, Gamma World, Paranoia and other systems, but nothing since 1990). But it is also because they captured the early spirit of DnD with (in my opinion) far superior (more streamlined, easier to play without constant page flipping) rules.

What I DON'T like about DnD 5e is the dearth of digital tools for the game. At this point I just filter out those who respond with this criticism by saying 5e is so simple, you don't need them. Yeah, maybe if you just buy the small amount of adventure material published by WoTC and like preparing everything on paper. I can't see going back to binders and books after using RW, even if I didn't run a home-brew campaign.

Also, while HL may be off-topic for this forum, there would still be great value in having 5e support in HL.

It is nice to see that DnD 5e content is available through Fantasy Grounds, but it irks me at how slow WoTC moves in regards to supporting various platforms. Maybe it was because they were so focused on DungeonScape that when that fell through they didn't have a strategy for licensing content to other software vendors.

So, I answer their surveys, hoping someone actually reads the comments, and understands that I have no interest in paying lots of money for an adventure I may only play once in a format that is inconvenient. I'd buy their core rules and monster manuals in paper even if they were available digitally since they are beautiful, high-quality books, and I enjoy paging through them, and having them on my book shelf. But I would also pay to have them digitally in RealmWorks and HeroLab.

As for GenCon, I said that WoTC should retain a presence. But this is mostly because of nostalgia. When I went to GenCon in the 80s, it was because of DnD. GenCon without DnD saddens me, even though it is no longer in Lake Geneva (why even call it GenCon now) and even though I've not been to it in decades and am unlikely to go. That said, my nostalgia is of little value to either GenCon or WoTC. It is telling that the CEO of GenCon played in the RW game with the Creative Director of Paizo. PAX may just be a more friendly venue where they get more bang for their marketing bucks.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old September 13th, 2015, 02:24 AM
5e looks like a great edition to come back to or for first timers. It is for lack of a better term a mature game. They took a lot of the lessons learned from the many editions and other RPG's over the last 30 odd years and produced a reasonably simple but deep D&D.

I can certainly see the appeal of playing with only 3 books. I'm trying to get my present Pathfinder ruleset down to less than 20.

WotC going with DungeonScape was a mistake but they obviously wanted to be in a separate space from Pathfinder so they wanted nothing to do with HL. Maybe they will eventually change their mind but I doubt it. I think that inside WotC/Hasbro everything connected to the D20 open game license is viewed with deep antipathy.

BTW you can get a reasonably usable digital character sheet for 5e through Roll20. Not sure if it can be printed though. Roll20 might also provide some of the tools you're looking for, in a rules agnostic fashion obviously.
kbs666 is offline   #10 Reply With Quote