Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Merion
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Germany, so please bear with my English
Posts: 359

Old December 28th, 2020, 11:15 AM
The big question is: is there an importer for RW in World Anvil?

Because if I can't automate that to at least some extent, I'm not using the tool. Right now I'm toying with the idea of just shoving everything into Foundry VTT. I'd lose some functionality like plots, relationships and my hirarchical order, but it might be worth a try.
Foundry has an open API and is written in Javascript while Realm Works allows a XML output. It should be possible to write an RWImport module for Foundry without 'too' much effort - take content from certain tags and put it into certain js object properties - but I've been using Foundry for a week now, so me writing a module for it is nothing that will happen short term. Mid-term I might think about it if no one else is doing it.

Find Realm Works resources on

_|_ P a t r e o n _|_ D r i v e t h r u R P G _|_
Merion is offline   #71 Reply With Quote
evildmguy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 345

Old December 28th, 2020, 12:54 PM
There is a planned API for WA but it is in dev and GET only right now. So, no importer. Maybe? It is json at the moment, so a converter to that would have to be written from RW's XML.

In the end, I didn't use RW for much. I did a lot at the beginning but since I didn't feel like RW allowed me to do improve and create an entire inn with staff easily on the fly, I didn't use it during the game. Once that happened, I found myself using RW less and less. I didn't like that because I would at least enter NPCs and put in their connections and then would see a lot really cool options I might not have.

I don't know that WA is the answer either. I just thought I would try it and see.

At the moment, I'm using a college ruled composition notebook. As the campaigns I'm running are happening about the same time and indirectly connected, one campaign is the front of the notebook and one started from the back.

Thanks!

edg
evildmguy is offline   #72 Reply With Quote
Acenoid
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 785

Old December 30th, 2020, 06:38 AM
Iam still actively using it.

Iam stioll hoping for the impossible - that they lit the torch again and provide some updates.

It's so great that this tool works offline - I don't want to have all my date in some webspace

Join the (unofficial) Realm-Works IRC Chat: #realm-works on the Rizon Network (https://wiki.rizon.net/index.php?title=Servers)
-> Browser Client: https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net
Acenoid is offline   #73 Reply With Quote
Exmortis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 776

Old December 31st, 2020, 12:27 PM
WA looks nice and pretty but as much as I hate to say it, RW just suits my style. It is some slick easy to design, build and revamp when you realize you went way off target.

For me, the ability to create my own categories and tags is the shiznat, almost all major canned categories have been replaced with my own.

Rob's vision was great, just wish he didn't lose the RW glasses, and we are not floating out into the ether alone.

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV
Exmortis is offline   #74 Reply With Quote
H2Os
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 66

Old January 9th, 2021, 07:13 PM
Speaking of Rob, he hasn't posted since Oct. 22nd. Hope he's doing okay.
H2Os is offline   #75 Reply With Quote
Valyar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 336

Old January 10th, 2021, 11:10 PM
I presume they were all focused on launching PF 1...
Let's hope this is success so they have bucks to maintain whatever they need to maintain to keep RW and servers online.

The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.
Valyar is offline   #76 Reply With Quote
Exmortis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 776

Old January 13th, 2021, 03:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exmortis View Post
WA looks nice and pretty but as much as I hate to say it, RW just suits my style. It is some slick easy to design, build and revamp when you realize you went way off target.

For me, the ability to create my own categories and tags is the shiznat, almost all major canned categories have been replaced with my own.

Rob's vision was great, just wish he didn't lose the RW glasses, and we are not floating out into the ether alone.
Looks like I may have to 180 on this statement, since the last update it has been a nightmare for me.

I have a PF rules realm I have been working on that is intended to be an import for any PF campaign world. Having all the rules in the mechanics reference. Since the last server update I can no longer sync this realm, and with nearly the entire CRB having been done, its a lot of work possibly lost. As usual the error is cryptic and may as well be the RW version of the check engine light.

Now I have a new issue, I have been working with my first realm getting it ready and it has been a dismal experience. It has been working fine for years, until now... I make any changes to a topic, it then will not sync and reports there is too much data in a snippet. Worse, I deleted a large topic, rebuild it from scratch typing it in all over again and expanding the work to 6 new topics, and I get a new too much data error on syncing again. Other than the all new snippets I moved a few snippets into new topics, which seems to be the catalyst for this, if I move a snippet from one topic to another I get this snippet size error...Which renders RW rather worthless to me, as I have a lot of topics I used as snippet and information repositories, which I then could build a topic structure from the snippets by moving them around. I worked on this realm that way since it was created. It is one RWs best features, I create a base topic, enter literally dozens of snippets pictures, maps etc. then build the topic structure top down moving snippets into these new topics and filling out the story and any required info.

I am at wits end, and it took years for my last support cases to generate a response, no idea how long these will take. A notebook with reams of paper, seems like the future again, with a loss of untold hours.

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV

Last edited by Exmortis; January 13th, 2021 at 03:03 AM.
Exmortis is offline   #77 Reply With Quote
Lexin
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: London, UK
Posts: 217
Send a message via Skype™ to Lexin

Old January 13th, 2021, 04:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exmortis View Post
I am at wits end, and it took years for my last support cases to generate a response, no idea how long these will take. A notebook with reams of paper, seems like the future again, with a loss of untold hours.
What a disaster! I'm so sorry to hear this.

At the moment I'm using Roll 20 and keeping notes on one of their little journals. It's not ideal and it's not the same as RW, which was superb, but so far it's just about working.

--
Lexin

GM from London - seriously old school - playing RPGs since 1980!

Tools: Realm Works, HeroLab, Campaign Cartographer 3+
Lexin is offline   #78 Reply With Quote
Farling
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Greater London, UK
Posts: 2,387

Old January 13th, 2021, 04:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exmortis View Post
Now I have a new issue, I have been working with my first realm getting it ready and it has been a dismal experience. It has been working fine for years, until now... I make any changes to a topic, it then will not sync and reports there is too much data in a snippet. Worse, I deleted a large topic, rebuild it from scratch typing it in all over again and expanding the work to 6 new topics, and I get a new too much data error on syncing again. Other than the all new snippets I moved a few snippets into new topics, which seems to be the catalyst for this, if I move a snippet from one topic to another I get this snippet size error...Which renders RW rather worthless to me, as I have a lot of topics I used as snippet and information repositories, which I then could build a topic structure from the snippets by moving them around. I worked on this realm that way since it was created. It is one RWs best features, I create a base topic, enter literally dozens of snippets pictures, maps etc. then build the topic structure top down moving snippets into these new topics and filling out the story and any required info.
Did they ever implement a data limit for the cloud service?

I wonder if somehow all of your syncs are being rejected because some sort of account quota has been exceeded on the cloud system.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=58156) and Output tools (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=59981)
Farling is offline   #79 Reply With Quote
Parody
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Rochester, MN
Posts: 1,405

Old January 13th, 2021, 08:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
Did they ever implement a data limit for the cloud service?
They've never said we had one. (They have said that they may have tiers eventually, but things didn't get that far.)

Parody is offline   #80 Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® - Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
wolflair.com copyright ©1998-2016 Lone Wolf Development, Inc. View our Privacy Policy here.