Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Army Builder Forums > Army Builder
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

MikeR

Old April 7th, 2007, 07:40 PM
Hello all,

I tried using AB3 today and had some issues with the program locking up and button graphic rendering. I pasted below the email I sent to tech support. I didn't get a reply back yet but I only sent it this afternoon, so it will probably take a little bit. In the meantime though I am really ansy to put some rosters together and what models I build out of the collection sitting on my shelf is largely dependant on the outcome. I figured I would post it here because maybe this was an old problem and someone reading here might know a quick solution. if not, oh well, but I figured I would try. Any assistance is appreciated!

Thanks,

Mike

(Screenshots can be provided if this is unclear)

"Hi there,

I had long used AB version 2 with no issues and recently started playing Warhammer and 40K again so I upgraded to AB version 3 in February. I hardly tried using it till now and am having multiple issues.

First, the buttons are rendering incorrectly. There is a tiny gray piece with some letters on it but you cannot read the whole word. The gray piece is also much smaller that the size the button should be as per the outline around the area. Also since you can't read the buttons it is sort of a guessing game if you are getting the right one.Also using the mouse to select the buttons doesn't work, requiring using the enter key.

Once into army selection that is not working either. I tried Necrons and when I try to select wargear for the Lord (in this case a destroyer body) the program locks up and is "not responding". The title bar reads "no file" despite me having a licensed copy and having dowloaded the newest army files.

After multiple failed attempts in several 40K armies I became frustrated and tried Fantasy. This also did not work. I tried to select a leader for the army (Deathmaster S) and again the program locks up and is "not responding". The title bar again reads "no file" despite me having a licensed copy and having dowloaded the newest army files.

So essentially I am unable to make any use of the program. I tried repairing my installation thinking it might be corrupt and even went so far as to uninstall the program and reinstall it but still I am encountering the same problems. I really am anxious to get playing again and want to use army builder for my rosters. Please get back to me as soon as possible so we can address these issues.

Thanks!

Mike"
MikeR is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
AngelusMortis

Old April 23rd, 2007, 07:53 AM
I have gotten the exact same problem. I have also tried the exact same troubleshooting steps you did to no avail. I would also like to note, that this only occured after the last WH40k 4th Edition data file I downloaded. What is odd though, is that it only happens on one of my computers. The other one hasnt had a problem. Some help on this would be greatly appreciated as this is a real pain in the butt.
AngelusMortis is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 24th, 2007, 12:34 AM
> I have gotten the exact same problem. I have also tried the exact same
> troubleshooting steps you did to no avail. I would also like to note, that
> this only occured after the last WH40k 4th Edition data file I downloaded.
> What is odd though, is that it only happens on one of my computers. The
> other one hasnt had a problem. Some help on this would be greatly
> appreciated as this is a real pain in the butt.

We're at a tradeshow right now, so there's nothing we can really do until
we get back to the office next Monday. By then, I'm sure I'll have
forgotten about this issue, as there are always 500 things that get added
to my plate at every show, plus the catch-up from being gone for a week.
So please bump this item up over the weekend so that I see it when we get
back.

Thanks, Rob
rob is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
AngelusMortis

Old April 24th, 2007, 05:14 AM
I can make that so.
AngelusMortis is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 25th, 2007, 01:06 AM
For everyone who has encountered this issue, please capture a screen shot
of the crash details that are displayed by Windows and send it to me at
helpdesk at wolflair.com. This will give us some clues regarding where in
AB the crash is occurring.

For Angelus, have you been updating the 40K files regularly over the past
12 months? Or had you not updated them for many months and then finally
did an update that skipped multiple releases of the 40K files?

Thanks!!!

--
Rob Bowes - rob@wolflair.com
rob is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
AngelusMortis

Old April 25th, 2007, 03:01 AM

@Rob, I have kept up to date. Also, this only happened recently after I downloaded the latest data file for WH40k 4th edition and it only happened on one of my computers as well. Very odd.
AngelusMortis is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
AngelusMortis

Old May 3rd, 2007, 06:33 AM
Bumpage.
AngelusMortis is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 4th, 2007, 09:02 PM
Having looked at the screen shots, this is a problem that only two people have reported over the past 2+ years (i.e. since we released AB3). I just spent some time looking at the code, but there just isn't a good explanation for this behavior. The only thing that I can imagine causing this is some sort of corruption of the product installation. In the two previous cases, I ended up having the users re-install AB. The re-install fixed everything both times. Since there isn't a better explanation at this point, I think a re-install is the best (and safest) course of action for both of you.

I would really like to understand how this problem is occurring. What new tools have been installed on your computers between the time when AB was working and it became corrupted? Also, what tools have been updated during that interval? Any clues you can provide about what is causing the problem would be much appreciated.

-Rob
rob is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
kabniel

Old July 13th, 2007, 04:48 AM
Hello,
My apologies for reviving a dead thread. But since it's pertinent.

I'm experiencing the same problem. Reinstalling will solve it for a day or two, but the issue always returns. I have reinstalled approximately 3 or 4 times now. I first noticed this when I installed or updated my .net framework to get nlite working.

I am running Windows Media Center, fully updated. The problem occurs on startup of ArmyBuilder. I execute from a pinned position on the start menu. I really am at a loss on what clues I could provide. However, I'm wondering if it has something to do with the .Net updates or some other windows update.

Thanks for your time.
kabniel is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old July 21st, 2007, 01:04 AM
At 05:48 AM 7/13/2007, you wrote:
Quote:
I'm experiencing the same problem. Reinstalling will solve it for a day or two, but the issue always returns. I have reinstalled approximately 3 or 4 times now. I first noticed this when I installed or updated my .net framework to get nlite working.

I am running Windows Media Center, fully updated. The problem occurs on startup of ArmyBuilder. I execute from a pinned position on the start menu. I really am at a loss on what clues I could provide. However, I'm wondering if it has something to do with the .Net updates or some other windows update.
We are running up-to-date versions of .Net on our development systems, and AB runs beautifully, so that alone isn't the source of the problem. AB is working perfectly with all the latest updates to Windows, so that's not the issue. More than likely, the source of the problem is something to do with a security tool that you have installed on your system. My guess is that the security tool is patching something incorrectly, which is ultimately causing the problem. It could be that the security tool is causing the problem because it's not compatible with a new update to the .Net framework, and that conflict is the root issue.

Try temporarily disabling all of your security tools. Does the problem persist? If it does, then the problem may be that the security tool has inserted itself improperly and simply disabling it still trips up on the conflict. You might consider removing the security tool entirely to see if it's the cause of the problem. If so, you can report the issue to the manufacturer so that they can fix it - probably after re-installing it so that your system remains reasonably secure.
rob is offline   #10 Reply With Quote