Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

flamepulse

Old April 29th, 2014, 09:47 PM
I dont see the point of having the two different. whould someone explain the point?
flamepulse is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Jaynay27

Old April 30th, 2014, 01:55 AM
I could be wrong, but I always thought this was way to de-clutter the interface.

You would have all the pertinent information about your adventure in the story almanac and the wider/more general information about your campaign world in the world almanac. If my party is adventuring in New York, I don't really need all the information for LA at my fingertips (necessarily) but it is still there in the world almanac if required.

Another cool thing is that if the PCs clear portions of your adventure, you can transfer the cleared content to the world almanac as a de-facto way of managing where you are up to in the adventure/campaign.
Jaynay27 is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Gallinaar

Old April 30th, 2014, 02:01 AM
I look on the World Almanac as the Library, and the Story Almanac as the book I am going to focus on at the moment. As I require additional information, I can access the library and obtain other relevant books/documents for my reading table. I only need to have immediate access to that which is relevant to the current story/area of research. The rest of the library will come in handy when I need to look elsewhere.
Gallinaar is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old April 30th, 2014, 02:49 AM
They've got the right idea for how the Story Almanac seems to have been intended. I'm not using RW at the table so I'm only using the World Almanac for now. I find the artificial division annoying while doing world building. The last thing I want is to have to do two searches every time I need to find something.

Unfortunately, this means that if I were to start using both it'd take a lot of work to move the right parts over to the Story Almanac. :(

Some of us would like to see Custom Almanacs so we can organize things in more ways. I personally would like one of them to contain everything.

Parody is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old April 30th, 2014, 10:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
They've got the right idea for how the Story Almanac seems to have been intended. I'm not using RW at the table so I'm only using the World Almanac for now. I find the artificial division annoying while doing world building. The last thing I want is to have to do two searches every time I need to find something.

Unfortunately, this means that if I were to start using both it'd take a lot of work to move the right parts over to the Story Almanac. :(

Some of us would like to see Custom Almanacs so we can organize things in more ways. I personally would like one of them to contain everything.
If you're using the Container Hierarchy, when you move a container from World to Story or Story to World, it asks if you want to include all the child topics. That takes almost all the work out of moving multiple entries from one to the other, for me, as I usually do want the child topics to go with the container.

While building, keep all in one. I built the Second Darkness AP all in the Story almanac for ease, then moved the key container topics to World for some things. The reverse, building all in World and moving a few to Story as needed, would work just as well.
Silveras is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old April 30th, 2014, 10:51 AM
I also agree that moving topics between them is very simple. And I don't know what you mean, Parody, when you say having to do two searches? The linking mechanism, for example, searches both Almanacs (and even the Mechanics section, too.) So generally there's not much searching you'd have to do. Especially when using the Story Almanac as just a short repository for the stuff you expect to be using at the table. That gives you a relatively short list of things you're already expecting to have to glance/search through. Then if you really need something out of the World Almanac you already know what sections you don't have in Story so it's easy enough to switch over.

For initial building I also agree it's best to just put everything in World, then when you are ready to start a game just pull over those things you need at that time.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old April 30th, 2014, 11:57 AM
I think what Parody means is if it is necessary to update a topic, finding one among many can be a chore.

I seldom do searches, honestly. I click on a topic I can readily find that I think should have a link to the one I want, then click through the link.
Silveras is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
gloranphile

Old April 30th, 2014, 12:48 PM
Searching between Almanacs is what I've asked for here: http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=48861

Sure would make my life easier, and it sounds like I'm not the only one. Give it a +1 if you think it's a good idea.
gloranphile is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
thedarkelf007

Send a message via MSN to thedarkelf007 Send a message via Yahoo to thedarkelf007

Old April 30th, 2014, 02:38 PM
This might not be as intended but works fantastically for me in my games.

Story Almanac is for things that occur in the campaign that are player related, and I use World Almanac for all the setting things that I might use between games, especially when we are able to transfer content between realms.

It makes it easy to tell what is official and what is campaign specific

And I use the articles for rules based content including generic monster statblocks.

Working on - SW RPG d6 or add this source Update Souce and SW RPG FFG and More FFG SW not working yet
Author of Realms Works Guides
Blog writer at thedarkelf007.home.blog/
thedarkelf007 is offline   #9 Reply With Quote