Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Savage Worlds

Notices

CapedCrusader
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old February 16th, 2017, 05:01 PM
We are instituting a new programming standard for Edges with background code (eval scripts).
One of our big issues has always been that initially there was no way to turn Edges on and off in the Savage Worlds game system, so Hero Lab's architecture was set up that way. As time went on, there were some Settings that allowed Edges to be acquired in ways that allowed them to be equipped (or not). The first was the Fantasy Companion with magic items, but others soon followed.

At the time, we did not want to force the re-coding of all the Edges, so we set up an architecture that changed the live state of Edges in order to give us the lever we needed. Well, down the road things got more complex, with the Sci-Fi Companion's modification system and similar changes, and this caused timing issues.

So, we've decided the time has come to bite the bullet and re-code. It's not a huge change, it's already in use on a few Edges, like Berserk and Thief. What needs to happen, is that we need to start adding a wrapper around any code in an eval script on an Edge. It'll give the software the ability to turn the effects of the Edge on and off in the background. Now, the Edge still won't show up on the In-Play tab unless the User Activation is enabled. Here's the code that needs to be added:

Code:
      if (field[abilActive].value <> 0) then
        <existing code block>
        endif
This will need to be done with any Edge that has background code in the existing Setting files, and also any future Setting file work.

Now, also in relation to this, we will be removing the "EdgeWep" compset definition as it won't be needed anymore. Those Edges that were changed to EdgeWep can be changed back once we get this update rolled out. We'll actually remove it in a future update to give Setting file authors time to make this particular change.

It'll be simpler with fewer timing collisions once this change is complete. Thanks for understanding.

_
Currently In Development: Savage Pathfinder
Future Development: SWADE Super Powers Companion, SWADE Fantasy Companion
_
Currently Running: Savage Unity Inc. (homebrew multiverse theme)
Setting Files Supported: Deadlands: Reloaded, Flash Gordon, Gaslight, Hellfrost, Interface Zero 2.0, Seven Worlds, Slipstream, Solomon Kane
Future Setting Files: Savage Judge Dredd
CapedCrusader is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old February 16th, 2017, 05:23 PM
I'll start reworking all of my data files shortly and getting the uploaded and in the updater as soon as I get a chance. Then I may need to find some time to do Weird War I... :/

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Paragon

Old February 17th, 2017, 06:09 PM
The only functional one I have is Broken Earth; will this throw an error when it goes through if you've not got the wrapper on it? If so, it might be easier for me to just wait and see what breaks (since I'm not clear what will) and fix in place.
Paragon is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader

Old February 18th, 2017, 11:37 AM
It won't cause any errors if this is not present. The system just won't be able to turn the Edge effect on and off when it needs to.

_
_
Setting Files Supported: Deadlands: Reloaded, Flash Gordon, Gaslight, Hellfrost, Interface Zero 2.0, Seven Worlds, Slipstream, Solomon Kane
CapedCrusader is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Paragon

Old February 19th, 2017, 11:50 AM
Oh, poo. I guess I'll have to see what all I did eval scripts on, then. I've only got 33 edges in there, so I guess it won't be that damn big a deal even if I used those on all of them (and that's unlikely).

Edit: Oh, just to make sure: this is only on Edges. right?

Last edited by Paragon; February 19th, 2017 at 11:52 AM.
Paragon is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader

Old February 19th, 2017, 01:33 PM
Yes, this only affects Edges, and only those with eval scripts.

_
_
CapedCrusader is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Paragon

Old February 19th, 2017, 04:51 PM
As it turns out, a fair number of the ones I have in BE use eval scripts, but like I said, there's only 33 of them, so its not that big a deal.
Paragon is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Paragon

Old February 22nd, 2017, 09:18 AM
I forgot to ask, when is the new version where this change is needed rolling out?
Paragon is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader

Old February 22nd, 2017, 11:47 AM
I would say in the next week or so.

_
_
CapedCrusader is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old February 22nd, 2017, 11:47 AM
Just an FYI, I've got the change in for all of my data files and I'll be posting updates for all of them within the next few days, hopefully.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #10 Reply With Quote