Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

Mjohn1964

Old February 27th, 2017, 07:25 AM
First off, I am sorry if I come off too strong. But I am not very happy with your product support.
I find it very unsettling when you try and force your paying customers to be your security against software piracy. Are you paying us for our time & inconvenience? No you are not. But when something happens to our computer, and we try to reinstall the product (WE PURCHASED BTW) we have to run through hoops to get our property returned to us.
This is not going to fly with me.
I bought the product, it belongs to me. I refuse to be your unpaid help. I will not be your help ants, and help you fight piracy, and not get compensated for it.
Mjohn1964 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Dami

Old March 1st, 2017, 12:06 AM
What part of the product support are you having a problem with? There's plenty of people here who can help. That said, did you contact support? (support@wolflair.com)
I've always found that they respond quickly and if you need license reassignment you can get it in a day or two. No running, jumping or hoops required
Also note that you bought a license - Lone Wolf still owns the product. I'm also sure they can offer you a refund if you decide you don't want it anymore.
Dami is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old March 1st, 2017, 05:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjohn1964 View Post
First off, I am sorry if I come off too strong. But I am not very happy with your product support.
I find it very unsettling when you try and force your paying customers to be your security against software piracy. Are you paying us for our time & inconvenience? No you are not. But when something happens to our computer, and we try to reinstall the product (WE PURCHASED BTW) we have to run through hoops to get our property returned to us.
I bought the product, it belongs to me. I refuse to be your unpaid help. I will not be your help ants, and help you fight piracy, and not get compensated for it.
You really need to take you head out of the sand and look around.

You purchased the right to use a licensed product, you do not own the product, it is NOT your property.

You don't like DRM? Well neither do it, neither do developers, but until we have the death penalty for theft, it is a way of life.

I have never waited more then next day for any license reassignment from LWD, NEVER!

When did you put in the support ticket?

Or did you?

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV
Exmortis is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 1st, 2017, 05:06 AM
Quote:
Hi Mjohn1964,

Sorry to hear you're having problems with Hero Lab. I recommend contacting our technical support email address at support@wolflair.com and asking them how to avoid regular license reassignments - issues like the ones you describe are typically caused by people using incorrect license details. Once you get the correct settings set up, you should be able to reinstall the program on the same device as much as you like without needing to get an early license reassignment from us.

Hope this helps!
Colen is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old March 1st, 2017, 12:52 PM
Quote:
I will not be your help ants, and help you fight piracy, and not get compensated for it.
The compensation is that they continue to support the product and release further data packages. With piracy, they won't have any money to do this work.
Farling is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old March 4th, 2017, 01:29 AM
So, I finally got around to installing HL back on my main desktop after a SSD failure.

Of course I had to request reassignment.

I submitted ticket Friday 7:58pm.
Reassignment done Saturday 1:54am.

That's like 6hr response on a weekend evening in the middle of the night.

Yes we have a problem, but it isn't LWD support.

As always, tops from LWD.

I do have advice for David though, it was just a license reassignment.

Sleep now, telephone later!

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV
Exmortis is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
asvaldson

Old March 7th, 2017, 02:41 PM
Is it irritating, sure, but I just make sure if I have to reinstall for some reason, I do it no later than Thursday, so that if I have to reassign my license it's done before my saturday games. *shrugs*
asvaldson is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old March 10th, 2017, 10:01 AM
Quote:
Wow. There are many times when I've felt shafted with a company's tech support, so I empathize with you in that regard, but I've never felt like that with LWD.

With Hero Lab, I've owned a license for several years. I've gone through several computers, and with each computer, I've gone through various rebuilds. In almost every case, as long as I've had my license keys handy, the transition was simple and easy.

In fact, I just recently did a nuke and pave on a notebook that was having some issues, and I don't even think I had to enter the key. I think it recognized that it was the same computer and just "Ah, OK, I remember you." Mind you, I gave the same name, so I don't know if it recognized the hardware configuration or the name or the combination. Regardless, it was a perfect setup.

There have been one or two (three tops) situations where I've had to contact LWD and ask them to reset a license for me. Again, as long as I had the license key in question, it was just a matter of emailing support and waiting (at most) a day or two.

Historically, I haven't been huge fan of DRM, mainly because most implementations are a burden on the user. But LWD did it right with Hero Lab. It's very user friendly, almost to the point of being transparent.

One thing you do have to be aware of is that if you install on multiple computers, you need a different license for each computer. You get two free license keys with the initial purchase. Some people have used the same license key on both computers. That's not the way to do it. Each system needs its own key.

You may have to request the second key if you haven't already done so.
EightBitz is offline   #8 Reply With Quote