Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Mutants & Masterminds
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Shadowchaser

Old March 5th, 2011, 04:08 PM
Here's something that might be useful, a tab for creating/archiving Rituals. It would work much the same as the Powers tab, letting us "build" and check Ritual design costs and performance times. Does anyone else think this might be useful enough to ask for?

I, for one, wouldn't mind having a separate page for this, so I didn't have to keep building things in my Powers tab (to get the points quickly) and then deleting them.
Shadowchaser is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
CelticREI

Send a message via AIM to CelticREI Send a message via MSN to CelticREI Send a message via Yahoo to CelticREI

Old March 5th, 2011, 07:31 PM
Aye, having a page that can be used for Artifacts/Inventions/Rituals would be a great addition. Or even if it was a 'power' ye could add that had Power Settings like Variable does. Just something so ye can create and save these things ^_^
CelticREI is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
JDRook
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Send a message via AIM to JDRook Send a message via Yahoo to JDRook Send a message via Skype™ to JDRook

Old March 7th, 2011, 10:21 AM
. . . or for holding common power stunts that may or may not every become full alternate effects.
JDRook is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer

Old March 7th, 2011, 01:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRook View Post
. . . or for holding common power stunts that may or may not ever become full alternate effects.
I agree.

It also sounds to my ears like we've once again come back to that often requested thing: the ability to create a "drag & drop" or "cut & paste-able" template.

This tab you three are speaking of could be a scratch-sheet that doesn't incur a Power Point cost for the character where you can work up powers you wish to test or as a list of alternate powers that the character often uses via the expenditure of a Hero Point but not routinely enough to justify spending power points to make it a regular power or slot in an Array or "regular" alternate of a power for 1pp. <<I'm of course speaking in 2nd Edition terms since I'm not versed yet in how 3rd Edition does things>>

Nigel Fogg, aka The Wayfarer
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 8th, 2011, 10:48 AM
So, effectively you want to make a "library" of powers that you can store somehow, and quickly call up when you want to use them?

Would this be a list of independent powers, or more like Nigel suggests, where the powers would be alternate powers of existing ones?
Colen is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer

Old March 8th, 2011, 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colen View Post
So, effectively you want to make a "library" of powers that you can store somehow, and quickly call up when you want to use them?

Would this be a list of independent powers, or more like Nigel suggests, where the powers would be alternate powers of existing ones?
I didn't mean to suggest that this "compilation of ideas" or "library" tab must be an alternate of an existing power. They certainly could be a collection of stand-alone, "I just want to have the math calculated & DC available without the character being charged Power Points for these what if contingency" powers.

Now, will it be more palatable to the majority of GMs if the powers that are built using this "library" tab are related to existing powers? Certainly it would.

Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
stormangel

Old March 8th, 2011, 12:30 PM
A simple solution might just be to build them as Equipment with the Devices as Equipment and just not charge points on them. Precede each one with Ritual: and then the name so they list alphabetically in the powers screen. Would have to check to make sure this works as intended in my mind, but it sounds correct. Might even be able to put them all in a container to represent Book of Shadows or whatever the grimoire is.
stormangel is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Duggan

Old March 8th, 2011, 01:02 PM
The alternative for a quick fix is to have some kind of checkbox similar to Devices that indicates "Free power", which could be used for anything from stunted APs to rituals to "Everyone has them" power sets.

Actually, a Stunt checkbox might not be a bad thing, marks something as needing to follow, say, the Array rules in terms of power points used, doesn't actually charge the power point, and then marks that ability differently to indicate that it is a Stunt and therefore not commonly available.
Duggan is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 8th, 2011, 03:50 PM
What if I added a "Power Stunt" extra that made the power not count for cost calculations? Would that work?
Colen is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer

Old March 8th, 2011, 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colen View Post
What if I added a "Power Stunt" extra that made the power not count for cost calculations? Would that work?
I think you and Duggan have the right idea with that.

Even though this thread started out talking about "rituals" this concept is applicable to any time one power stunts or just wants the math "done & ready" ahead of time in anticipation of power stunting in a particular way in an upcoming game.

Heck, if you're using a netbook, laptop, etc. at the game table you could create it on the fly while awaiting your turn in the round if time permits. Then if someone earlier in the round causes you to change your mind you still have it for later and don't have to worry about it messing up your point totals when it comes time to save the character & close down the machine.

Last edited by Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer; March 8th, 2011 at 04:09 PM.
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer is offline   #10 Reply With Quote