Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

EvilJohn

Old May 18th, 2017, 06:01 PM
The loss of Dropbox support is a real blow to how I use this software. Why haven't the development staff elected to move the version 2 of the dropbox API?

What is the alternative plan to support other or different cloud syncing providers?

Will any compensation be offered to paid users for losing a significant piece of this products appeal?
EvilJohn is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
BJ
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 22nd, 2017, 01:23 PM
We are working on alternative options now and hope to have them available by Gen Con.
BJ is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old May 23rd, 2017, 05:12 AM
I am hoping for either an LWD cloud direct support (ala realm works), or something more generic. I do not use dropbox, I am a 365 customer.

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV
Exmortis is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old May 23rd, 2017, 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exmortis View Post
I am hoping for either an LWD cloud direct support (ala realm works), or something more generic. I do not use dropbox, I am a 365 customer.
I would suggest not phrasing it that way. LWD has moved away from using the term "cloud" in relation to Realm Works because people confuse the meaning.

Realm Works hosts a copy of your data on a remote server, which you or your players can sync to local storage using the Realm Works application. It is not a 'net -accessible file sharing service at all.

It also works that way because the licensing is different. A GM can install Realm Works on any number of machines, and sync the data from that remote server to that machine for use; HeroLab has a per-machine licensing scheme, which is quite different.
Silveras is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old May 24th, 2017, 07:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveras View Post
I would suggest not phrasing it that way. LWD has moved away from using the term "cloud" in relation to Realm Works because people confuse the meaning.

Realm Works hosts a copy of your data on a remote server, which you or your players can sync to local storage using the Realm Works application. It is not a 'net -accessible file sharing service at all.

It also works that way because the licensing is different. A GM can install Realm Works on any number of machines, and sync the data from that remote server to that machine for use; HeroLab has a per-machine licensing scheme, which is quite different.
They have? Then why on the first page of their website is it called a "tier cloud service"?

I wasn't looking to start a semantics discussion. I was just referring to that I would love LWD to offer a service to Hero Lab, like they do for Realm Works, not "exactly" the same service. /jeez

Call it cloud, file sync or virtual ketchup, at the end of the day, clouds are just file repositories with some cool condiments baked in.

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV
Exmortis is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old May 24th, 2017, 12:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exmortis View Post
I wasn't looking to start a semantics discussion. I was just referring to that I would love LWD to offer a service to Hero Lab, like they do for Realm Works, not "exactly" the same service. /jeez
IT/Tech people that I deal with often get into word semantics. Shrug its sort of common and one reason I hate the word "cloud" because its actually so meaningless in the larger picture of systems. It means many different things to different people.

So Silveras is doing his common thing of trying to make sure everyone is on the same page.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old May 24th, 2017, 12:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
So Silveras is doing his common thing of trying to make sure everyone is on the same page.
In the words of an old song... "I've gotta be me..."

Or, if you prefer, "It's a dirty job, but someone's gotta do it... "
Silveras is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old May 25th, 2017, 12:08 AM
I have to wonder why Apple (and Google?) don't have a common API at the operating system level which will provide access to files being shared from a "cloud" app.

There are several different clouds available, and just reading the link that somebody posted about the complexity of Dropbox API v2 definitely makes me think that all that work should be hidden inside the OS.
Farling is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Tekwych

Old May 25th, 2017, 05:50 AM
Because Apple and Google (and Microsoft and Dropbox and others) are in competition with each other for this 'new' market space. They, on purpose, make sharing information outside of their version of the cloud difficult so that people stay 'in system' and try to get others to use their system. Crowd marketing for data space. Dropbox is the most open and cross platform for the end user but can be difficult as a service for someone like LWD. Writing an API that piggybacks on Realm Works and uses a bit of that systems server space would be easiest for LWD but that system is built on system that is not cross platform so not available to the Mac and iOS.
Tekwych is offline   #9 Reply With Quote