Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Bidmaron

Old March 22nd, 2017, 05:52 AM
I think he used wrong terminology. Where he said snippets I think he meant topics or articles.
Bidmaron is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old March 22nd, 2017, 10:32 PM
Meh. If I am unsure if I want something to be imported into my Realm, I import it into its own realm first. After looking it over, I can always re-import into my realm. As kbs666 points out, once in your realm, you can easily filter by tags.

I just don't see much value in putting the import in a container.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Bidmaron

Old March 23rd, 2017, 02:53 AM
As someone has hinted, there is apparently something in beta that is supposed to help import concerns. Until we know what that is, it probably isn't worth getting too worked up over. Voicing thoughts might affect the development though....
Bidmaron is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Ckorik

Old March 24th, 2017, 04:51 AM
Quote:
The snippets will link to each Topic automatically. What you're proposing is not "linking" in the sense that Realm Works uses the word but making Snippets independent of Topics and only loosely connected to them so as to allow more than one "home" or "site" per Snippet.

Player View is a GM-version tool that allows the GM to show something to the Players "live at the table". The Player version of Realm Works is the same software as the GM version; it is the Players' accounts that limit their functionality. The Player version of the software allows for the creation of User Notes... which should link to revealed Topics just as the GM's does.
That's not what I'm talking about at all.

I am talking about having a *topic* in one location that can have a shadow in more than one location.

It's not quite the same - instead of typing a new snippet - I'm asking if there is a way to create a link to a topic - it can even look different - so the topic can show up in more than one place - note again I'm not asking for a copy - just a way to have a topic under more than one container so to speak.

I can envision a player group creating an area for them - and let them manage their own notes - so that they can drag and drop topics they find interesting and create their own 'view' - which I think would be more visceral and intuitive than linking via text name.
Ckorik is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old March 24th, 2017, 05:06 AM
^ This would have uses. ^

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Bidmaron

Old March 24th, 2017, 05:25 AM
Only if someone puts in a feature request.
Bidmaron is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old March 24th, 2017, 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckorik View Post
That's not what I'm talking about at all.

I am talking about having a *topic* in one location that can have a shadow in more than one location.

It's not quite the same - instead of typing a new snippet - I'm asking if there is a way to create a link to a topic - it can even look different - so the topic can show up in more than one place - note again I'm not asking for a copy - just a way to have a topic under more than one container so to speak.

I can envision a player group creating an area for them - and let them manage their own notes - so that they can drag and drop topics they find interesting and create their own 'view' - which I think would be more visceral and intuitive than linking via text name.
This would seem like an extension of the alias system, which presently only shows the same topic with different names in the same location.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old March 24th, 2017, 11:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
This would seem like an extension of the alias system, which presently only shows the same topic with different names in the same location.
I'm not sure that's accurate, as he wants the same names, potentially, to appear in multiple places.... like shortcut links appear in file folders in the Windows OS.
Silveras is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
Ckorik

Old March 24th, 2017, 04:51 PM
Quote:
like shortcut links appear in file folders in the Windows OS.
That's a good analogy, thank you.

A very simple way this is useful is to enable your 'cult leader' to be located in town and in the dungeon. For the sake of programmer sanity - these would be non searchable links that just are references back to the object - they don't need to show up in a 'link' or callback like the auto references do now - just a handy way to have more than one way to make a topic list.

Another use would be to have a list of every Inn in a region - even though the Inn topics are located under the locations they inhabit. I really could come up with endless reasons why it would be useful.
Ckorik is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old March 24th, 2017, 05:38 PM
This was recommended long ago and I still support it. +1

If I recall, my example then was file systems for scanning and archiving documents in the office allow for multiple tags. A meeting can thus be tagged by date, participants, topics, location, projects, etc. And then people looking in any of those locations would find it.

In RW, being able to identify multiple mirror containers would provide the same result.
AEIOU is offline   #20 Reply With Quote