Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Obeliske

Old March 28th, 2017, 08:54 AM
So I've been playing Pathfinder for years and have herolabs for that. It's such a boon that when we (my group) decided to try fifth I bought the 5th edition core stuff on hero labs right away. Much to my chagrin there are huge holes everywhere for herolabs for fifth edition to the point where LoneWolf actually says to download a community based pack. While this is mildly upsetting all things considered I'm still attempting to use the program.

I'm creating four premade characters for a one off game to teach my group the system (not normally the dm as we are lucky enough to have a dedicated one but it's a one off and the best way to learn is by playing). I'm using some races/classes that highlight the differences between the two systems while still leaving my group feeling comfortable enough that we can play.

One such is a Dragonborn Paladin, using Herolabs I've gotten to the point of choosing my skills, how do I go about marking which two of them are class skills? (Sorry I forget the fifth edition word for this).

I'm going to keep responding to this thread as I work on the characters as I'm sure more questions will come up as I work on them. This is simply the first that I have no idea how to resolve. So please scroll to the bottom to see whatever my newest question is.

Thank you in advance.
Obeliske is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Obeliske

Old March 28th, 2017, 12:56 PM
On a separate note does anybody have a suggestion for a good one off campaign? Preferably heavy on combat (though not exclusively). A good dungeon crawl or something of that nature should suffice. Or perhaps a caravan guard style game? I'm the big roleplayer of the group normally so I think they will enjoy something more combat oriented. I have a few that I'm looking at after the google-fu but nothing specifically is jumping out at me.
Obeliske is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Obeliske

Old March 28th, 2017, 01:04 PM
Ah apparently my issue with the inability to pick skills has something to do with one of the following options,

-proficiency dice
-background proficiency
-personality trait proficiency

I suppose more experimenting is needed as these obviously don't mean what I think they do.

EDIT: After a LOT of research I was able to find out what these do, apparently the first makes it so you roll a dice when you use a proficient skill instead of a flat bonus, the second takes away your ability to choose which skills you gain proficiency with (not sure what it replaces them with), and the third takes away your bonus tool proficiency (not sure what it replaces it with).

Last edited by Obeliske; March 28th, 2017 at 01:18 PM.
Obeliske is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Obeliske

Old March 28th, 2017, 01:18 PM
Deleted for redundancy (Sorry)
Obeliske is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old March 28th, 2017, 01:55 PM
As for a good one-off campaign, check out the new Tales From the Yawning Portal that revives a collection of classic modules updated for 5e.

In Volo's Wake is a nice series of short one-off Adventurer's League adventures for low-level characters that you can get from the DM's Guild.

The Phandelver's adventure in the Basic set is really quite good and is a nice way to get used to the game and level up 4-5 levels before heading off into a one of the big Adventure Paths (I recommend Curse of Straud as it is more "complete" but if you are comfortable with more open-world and filling in gaps, check out Storm King's Thunder.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Obeliske

Old March 28th, 2017, 03:11 PM
Thanks MNBlockHead I appreciate the advice I'll definitely take a look!

Question:
I understand the actions of the game I think, moving is not considered an action simply something you can do, as well you get one action. I'm wondering about bonus actions. Specifically for two weapon fighting...

It says you only get a bonus action when something gives it to you, however using two light weapons (ie. shortswords) gives you the ability to attack an additional time with your bonus action. Am I reading this right in that it gives a new way to use the bonus action but doesn't actually confer the ability to have a bonus action? Ie. Do I still need to find a way for my rogue to get a bonus action? Or does fighting with two weapons confer a bonus action to do so with? The same goes for the bard spell "Healing Word".
Obeliske is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Mergon

Old March 28th, 2017, 07:11 PM
Obeliske:

If you follow this link:

http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=55090

you will see how to install the 5E Community pack. This will add a lot of the stuff the SRD doesn't have.
Due to licensing, much of the descriptions have either placeholder's or paraphrasing, but the stuff is there.

Watch your back, Conserve your ammo,
and NEVER cut a deal with a dragon!
Mergon is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Obeliske

Old March 29th, 2017, 07:09 AM
Yup I am aware and I did install it thank you though
Obeliske is offline   #8 Reply With Quote