Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Authoring Kit
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Mettius

Old February 19th, 2017, 10:27 AM
Like presumably may others, I'm trying to learn the Authoring kit using the wiki. Many things could use some updates or clarification/comments. I've only participated in wikipedia as a consumer, but it seems like the HL Auth Kit Wiki could use collaboration from the kit user community. Yet, it seems to be locked down.

If this is by design, (probably to shut out bot SPAM), I suggest a means of joining the wiki editor-ship. That way interested parties can comment & add to the existing wiki to help their fellow Authoring Kit users (and us newbs) out.
Mettius is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Goreshade

Old February 22nd, 2017, 11:35 PM
I'm with you on this. The Wiki needs a complete overhaul. I created a thread to examine problems with the tutorial as I went thru it but, it kept getting ignored. I was hoping that other new users would add in to it, describing the parts they were having trouble with, and basically collate the problems that needed the most overhaul. Once enough of them had been gathered and discussed then we could move more towards what you are suggesting with a plan.

I don't wish to discourage you, but from what I have seen the Wiki is treated like some kind of sacred tomb, forbidden to revisit, even for repair.
Goreshade is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Zortek

Old February 27th, 2017, 11:18 AM
tl;dr - Me2 - I'm left with a very bitter taste in my mouth. Complete buyers remorse; a feeling I believe I would maintain even if I had received the product for free.

Another thread on the topic: http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=56458

In a valuation of time and effort vs. satisfying results, I have a much better return on investment from a blank-page, ground-up effort in C#. I have achieved better production-quality results, more joy, in far less time invested than with HL+AK.

That said, I've seen that there are some who have achieved satisfaction with this product -- I praise and support them with enthusiasm. I also know of many who are thrilled with the "canned" solutions for specifically supported game systems/mechanics. There is no disparagement due to anyone who has or has not derived joy from the product.

However, the state of the wiki (and the management thereof) is deplorable and worthy of stern finger-waggles and snorts-of-derision (if not utter condemnation).

I, too, don't wish to discourage you; however, it should be clear to anyone that seeks to venture down this path that it is a gauntlet that will test one's 1) tolerance for delayed satisfaction and 2) acceptance of sub-optimal (crowd-sourced) product support.

That said, as a non-sequitur, I am a huge fan and advocate for Realm Works (warts and all) as I believe (unlike Hero Lab), it has value that far exceeds any effort one is required to invest -- but, I posit that says more about the stellar quality of the product than it does post-release support.
Zortek is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
BoomerET

Send a message via ICQ to BoomerET Send a message via Yahoo to BoomerET Send a message via Skype™ to BoomerET

Old February 27th, 2017, 01:40 PM
- Content edited -

Castles & Crusades Ruleset for Hero Lab
Hero Lab (5E D&D) -> Fantasy Grounds Character Converter

Last edited by BoomerET; February 27th, 2017 at 01:42 PM. Reason: If you can't say something nice...
BoomerET is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Goreshade

Old February 27th, 2017, 02:38 PM
RW's content market is the main focus of LWD at the moment, so nothing is going to improve for Hero Lab or the Authoring Kit any epoch soon. Holding on to hope for the AK to get some attention after RW is firmly on its feet would most likely end in disappointment, as well. The only things that receives attention are the licensed systems that LWD already does themselves.

If the LWD staff only has time to work on license material and RW, then they should be willing to allow the community to draw up some submissions for the improvement of the Wiki. To form an edit crew as it were. The tools are 'there', use them for gods sakes. It's what Wiki was made for.

I too, do not wish to discourage anyone from digging into the AK, quite the opposite, but I don't want to see another potential author get discouraged and ignored.
Goreshade is offline   #5 Reply With Quote