Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Savage Worlds

Notices

marroon69

Old December 28th, 2017, 06:32 AM
So I am working with Savage Worlds and Deadlands Reloaded file set and I have a question about mules and horses for characters.

I know you can pull them in as Gear, this seems to work fine. But can I create them as new characters, using the creature setting or add them as Allies? It seems like I should be able too.

Old Bessy as a Creature

When I create "Old Bessy" the mule as a creature it allows me to do so but I get an error in the update window.

"Human: This selection is not allowed (all updated ignored)"

Plus it seems encumbrance works differently? In my Gear section the mule can hold a ton of stuff but as a character, it can not. Maybe encumbrance is not calculated when it is "Gear"?

Old Bessy as an Allie

Well, I read that some people do this way but the only race option I get is human....so not sure if I am missing something here. It seems this makes the most sense me but it it does not seem to work

I would appreciate any guidance given
marroon69 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old December 29th, 2017, 05:25 AM
Well, races are going to be set on your Character Configuration screen, if you needed to open up your ally sheets to other races, but for a horse/mule/etc. you would use Creature for that. I don't really know about the encumbrance issue you're seeing, though. I've probably gotten used to just ignoring some of the oddball warnings that show up on those. I also don't know what you are doing to get that error, except maybe not selecting the right "Creature" from the drop-down list next to the Name box?

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
marroon69

Old December 29th, 2017, 09:50 AM
Thanks Zarlor. I guess maybe I am making too much of the error messages...I can add it as a creature I just get that weird message.

"Human: This selection is not allowed (all updated ignored)"
marroon69 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Paragon

Old January 2nd, 2018, 04:05 PM
That "Human:" thing is a bug I've noted before.

The official thing with horses and mules is that encumbrance is considered borderline optional as a rule, so they never did anything to fix that with a special ability or anything. Its easy enough to patch the encumbrance on them if you want to; I've got a custom .user file that adjusts all the critters in the Broken Earth setting (I already have code that ups the general encumbrance for characters to x8 (x12 with Brawny) so you'd need to adjust the numbers I give her down to x10, x20 and so on); the numbers seemed more reasonable for the creatures of their size.

Code:
<thing id="abIEEncAd3" name="Encumbrance Adjust: +3" description="Adjusts Encumbrance for Larger creatures" compset="RaceAbil">
    <usesource source="IncrEncu"/>
    <tag group="User" tag="Creature"/>
    <eval phase="PreTraits" priority="5001">herofield[acLoadMult].value = 64
      <before name="Calc trtFinal"/>
      </eval>
    </thing>
  <thing id="abIEEncAd2" name="Encumbrance Adjust: +2" description="Adjusts Encumbrance for Larger creatures" compset="RaceAbil">
    <usesource source="IncrEncu" parent="UserParent" name="Increased Encumbrance"/>
    <tag group="User" tag="Creature" name="Creature" abbrev="Creature"/>
    <eval phase="PreTraits" priority="5001">herofield[acLoadMult].value = 32
      </eval>
    </thing>
  <thing id="abIEEncAd1" name="Encumbrance Adjust: +1" description="Adjusts Encumbrance for Larger creatures" compset="RaceAbil">
    <eval phase="PreTraits" priority="5001">herofield[acLoadMult].value = 16
      </eval>
    </thing>
  <thing id="abIEEncAd4" name="Encumbrance Adjust: +4" description="Adjusts Encumbrance for Larger creatures" compset="RaceAbil">
    <eval phase="PreTraits" priority="5001">herofield[acLoadMult].value = 128
      </eval>
    </thing>
Paragon is offline   #4 Reply With Quote