Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System

Notices

Kendall-DM
Spy

Old March 9th, 2016, 08:54 PM
Is there any reason that a creature with more than one Hit Die and an ECL of 0 is calculating experience point totals as if the Hit Dice were equivalent to class levels? I would expect that levels would follow the normal pattern, regardless of Hit Dice, UNLESS there is an ECL associated with a creature.

For example, a creature with 2 Hit Dice but an ECL of 1 upon attaining a class level will calculate the experience to it's next level based on already having a level to begin with, in other words, as if going to level 3.

However, a creature with 2 Hit Dice and no ECL will calculate it's experience as if it already has 2 levels of a class before it actually takes a class level, that is, it has to gain enough experience to get to level four before it advances.

Most of the creatures have an ECL, so it's not issue and probably hasn't come up until now. However, I don't run my game with ECL at all, so all my creatures are ECL of 0, but any that are given class levels act as if the pre-existing Hit Dice are actually class levels and it takes a ridiculous amount of XP to gain even the first level of a class.

Is this working as designed? If it is, can there be an option to turn it off?

Thanks.
Kendall-DM is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old March 9th, 2016, 08:58 PM
Wow wall of text! Guess I am just tired. I have no answer without a bunch of research both into how 3.5 is "suppose" to work and how currently HL d20 does work.

I will add this to the to-do list.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old March 15th, 2016, 09:35 PM
Sorry about the wall of text. My real question was, can this be a configuration setting, wasn't really asking for an overall change. Just seemed odd that creatures without an ECL work as if their HD was their ECL.

I've been able to work around it for the time being, so no worries.

Last edited by Kendall-DM; March 15th, 2016 at 09:39 PM.
Kendall-DM is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old March 16th, 2016, 06:27 AM
Well, that's how it is supposed to work in 3.5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.5 Monster Manual
Level Adjustment
This line is included in the entries of creatures suitable for use as player characters or as cohorts (usually creatures with Intelligence scores of at least 3 and possessing opposable thumbs). Add this number to the creature’s total Hit Dice, including class levels, to get the creature’s effective character level (ECL). A character’s ECL affects the experience the character earns, the amount of experience the character must have before gaining a new level, and the character’s starting equipment. See pages 172, 199, and 209 of the Dungeon Master’s Guide for more information
So.. "ECL" is "Effective Character Level" and = Racial Hit Dice + Level Adjustment (LA) + class levels.

There is no monster with "no ECL" ... there are monsters with no Level Adjustment, though. Is that what is really meant in this request?

Unearthed Arcana provided an optional rule for "buying off" Level Adjustmnet. At higher levels, Level Adjustment stops being a good balancing tool, and the ability to "buy it off" for a one-time XP loss seemed to make sense.
Silveras is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old March 16th, 2016, 10:59 AM
I will keep an eye on this thread. But I admit I need to refresh myself on the whole ECL/LA rules of 3.5.

If this is working correctly Kendall-DM maybe you can just add a Mechanic to adjust the value back down by the class levels for monsters.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old March 16th, 2016, 04:43 PM
I get the impression the Kendall-DM is asking for a house-rule setting that can alter how ECL is calculated.. by ignoring the racial Hit Dice of the monster. In that case, a 2HD Gnoll with 1 level of Ranger would count as 1st or 2nd level, instead of 4th.

Normal: 2 racial HD + 1 level (Ranger) + 1 LA = ECL 4

Without the Racial HD: 1 level (Ranger) + 1 LA = ECL 2
OR
1 level (Ranger) + 0 (all other factors ignored) = ECL 1

If I am reading the OP correctly, Kendall-DM is using the term/acronym "ECL" instead of "LA" for Level Adjustment, and is assuming that Racial HD do not apply if there is no LA.
Silveras is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old March 16th, 2016, 10:46 PM
I don't believe that is correct. The ECL is the effective character level of the Hit Dice of the monster. This is the character level of the creature if class levels are added, indicating their actual effective level. Even HL backs this up when I apply actual ECL rating. If I add 1, no matter how many HD, it indicates that the creature needs enough experience to get the level 3 before it gets to level 2 of the class it choose (1st level + ECL of 1 = current level of 2nd). So it needs to gain enough XP to gain 3rd level, or 3000 XP.

Much like humanoids, I had thought that having setting an ECL to 0 it would work the same as just gaining the 1st level and needing 1000 XP to get to level 2. That is the part I'm not sure on, as there is no creature with an ECL of 0 (excepting 1 HD humanoids, while not listed as 0, functionally work that way).

As for modifying it code-wise, I've done that. Unfortunately, when I do that it removes all the HD from the creature and there isn't even a HP box to enter HP into. But yeah, mine is a house rule, so to speak. Maybe I am speaking about LA... hmmmm... I just don't know. Overseas on business right now and I don't have access to my books, so it'll have to wait til I get back. In any case, I mean the one that doesn't apply HD as levels.

Stay tuned.
Kendall-DM is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old March 17th, 2016, 03:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendall-DM View Post
In any case, I mean the one that doesn't apply HD as levels.
That would be Level Adjustment. ECL is Character Level plus Level Adjustment. Character Level is your total HD (racial plus class). No character, PC or NPC, can have a 0 ECL. Even if they have no racial HD, they will always have at least one class level.

Perhaps if you provided an example of what you are seeing we could better understand the problem you are facing.
Sendric is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old March 17th, 2016, 07:52 AM
The block I quoted from the Monster Manual defines both Equivalent Character Level (ECL) and Level Adjustment (LA).

As Sendric noted, there are no creatures with "0 ECL" because ECL is the result of the calculation, not part of it.

Humanoids are a little different from other monters ... Goblins, Orcs, Humans, Dwarves, Elves, etc., have 0 Racial Hit Dice and only have class levels (or, as some have put it, they "trade in" their one Humanoid Racial HD for their 1st class level).

Level Adjustment is used for races that have special abilities that are not purely reflected in their Hit Dice.. usually several Spell-Like Abilities or a bunch of immunities/ resistances, and the like. Level Adjustment bumps their overall level to compensate for this.

If you are looking for a way to play a powerful race (one with Racial HD and/or Level Adjustment) from 1st level, then you may want to be looking at Savage Species.. that is that the book is about. It creates "Monster Classes" that spread the abilities and racial HD over class levels (such as Gnoll).. but the result is about the same. Once you finish the "Monster Class" progression (which you must do before taking any class levels), you end up as I described above... a 1st level Gnoll Ranger has 3 levels of the "Gnoll" monster class + 1 level of Ranger for an Effective Character Level of 4.
Silveras is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old April 1st, 2016, 12:22 AM
Guys, I was getting LA confused with ECL. I wanted all creatures without class levels to operate the same as 1 HD humanoids, that is they all started at XP 0 and proceeded from there. Unfortunately, it is impossible to do in HL, due to the fact that the racial HD disappear even without any class levels. I can't figure out how to 1) remove the XP requirements for the racial HD and 2) keep the racial HD as they are. This has been a house rule in my game campaign for years, so doing in HL was just something I was trying to get working. Unfortunately, I've just been adding the necessary XP to give it levels, but it doesn't accurately reflect the real XP.

Just an impossible task at this juncture, I've always thought ECL and LA were just unnecessary, as I did without in my game for 1st and 2nd Edition without any real issues. Well, that's that I guess. Thanks for the input!
Kendall-DM is offline   #10 Reply With Quote