Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Authoring Kit
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

eponette

Old September 13th, 2013, 01:22 AM
Hi,

to all the courageous guy here that did the job, how long does it take to create a kit for a game? I think the idea very interesting, but I want to stay realistic. I don't want to spend month doing it and I prefer spending time on my campaign and my players than coding. Therefore, is it worth the effort? How long does it take (when I read some posts, it seems to be a HUGE work and the skills needed are very high.

Could you share your experience (no technical stuff here)?
eponette is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Kathorus

Old September 13th, 2013, 04:12 AM
I'm not certain how long it would take as I have not yet finished one, it heavily depends on how big and/or complex the system is, I have put in about 20-30 hours so far reading through the material on the Wiki and experimenting with the sample files. I would suggest you read through at least the following, as I think they will better help you understand what is required.

http://hlkitwiki.wolflair.com/index....opment_Process
http://hlkitwiki.wolflair.com/index....s_Walk-Through

If you get involved with it, others on the forum are very skilled and helpful, and LWD is active here as well in answering questions and providing direction.
Kathorus is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
thedarkelf007

Send a message via MSN to thedarkelf007 Send a message via Yahoo to thedarkelf007

Old September 13th, 2013, 03:03 PM
I've put in at least 100+ hours and I have only done part of the Star Wars d6 system. And finding time to go back to it is hard when life gets in the way

Working on - SW RPG d6 or add this source Update Souce and SW RPG FFG and More FFG SW not working yet
Author of Realms Works Guides
Blog writer at thedarkelf007.home.blog/
thedarkelf007 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
RavenX
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old September 13th, 2013, 05:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eponette View Post
Hi,

to all the courageous guy here that did the job, how long does it take to create a kit for a game? I think the idea very interesting, but I want to stay realistic. I don't want to spend month doing it and I prefer spending time on my campaign and my players than coding. Therefore, is it worth the effort? How long does it take (when I read some posts, it seems to be a HUGE work and the skills needed are very high.

Could you share your experience (no technical stuff here)?
This depends on how you build it and how complicated the system is. I've been working on Deathwatch for many months and am still not done.

Some systems will be easier to do than others, and it also depends on your focus. If you're just building the basic mechanics and leaving the data entry to someone lsr, it can go faster. Just depends on what you focus on.

RavenX Pronouns: She/Her

Please do not PM me to inquire about datafiles I coded "for personal use" such as Exalted, World of Darkness, AD&D, or Warhammer 40K Roleplaying. I appreciate your interest, but I do not own the Intellectual Property rights to these game systems. Nor do I have permission from any of the Publishers to distribute the data files. As such, I cannot distribute the work I have done with community on these files. They are "for personal use" only. Thank you.

I am far too busy these days to answer emails. If you message me here there is no guarantee I will get back to you at all.
RavenX is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
RayPrancer

Old September 14th, 2013, 03:28 AM
The easiest system I ever had to do took 12 hours but that was only because it was written around the skeleton data files - for something fairly straightfoward from a commerical publisher I'd allow at least 50
RayPrancer is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Kairos
Volunteer Data File Author

Old September 17th, 2013, 02:23 PM
Lots of variables. There's a learning curve for the authoring kit, so factor that in for your first game. My first was Qin the Warring States, which is fairly straightforward, but has some oddities that kept it interesting. Doing GURPS Lite on the heels of that (although I haven't had a chance to work on it in the evenings -- working on ITIL certification) and the core work went MUCH quicker on the core work the second go around.

Everything is in the AK wiki, but pay particular attention to the advice for planning your project and definitely do the Savage Worlds walkthrough.
Kairos is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
eponette

Old September 18th, 2013, 03:48 AM
One thing I don't understand (correct me if I'm wrong...):

In order to use the HL, you need the kit to be developed. If you play a game where there are no kit, HL is useless for you. Therefore, you need to develop the kit yourself (hours, even months of work). But you need to pay for the development kit. And when the kit is developed (time you spent plus the money to have the possibility to develop it), other can buy HL and use you kit.

Not that I want to be paid for the development, but I find it weird to have to pay to work

But as i said, maybe I'm wrong.
eponette is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
jbearwillis

Old September 18th, 2013, 04:52 AM
Once you get your game done, you don't have to share it with the community if you don't want to, but most people do. The community helps each other. It's your choice to do so. That's left up to you. There is no pressure to make you share. The work and time is yours to chose if you share or not.

Hope that helps and answers your question, but any one that you allow to use your game must have the Authoring Kit, that part is true.

Last edited by jbearwillis; September 18th, 2013 at 04:54 AM.
jbearwillis is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
eponette

Old September 18th, 2013, 05:05 AM
No way I'm not going to share anything (if I do it).

Is the authoring kit delivered with the HL or is it something I will have to buy extra?
eponette is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 18th, 2013, 07:28 AM
You can add the authoring kit to your Hero Lab license as an additional game system from the License menu...Purchase Data Package.
Mathias is offline   #10 Reply With Quote