Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Savage Worlds

Notices

jfrazierjr

Old May 3rd, 2017, 06:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paragon View Post
That was what surprised me. Given I'd been working on the modified file for a while, and doing some cut-and-paste between the previous one and this one, these are entirely comprehensible errors--but I'd have thought it just wouldn't load. And alternatively, would have given me more specific errors.

As to your question, I normally either use the built-in editor, or if I'm doing direct editing in the XML, GetDiz. I don't do an enormous amount of the latter, normally; as I noted the only reason this probably happened was because I was cutting and pasting between the pre-update version of the .user file and the updated one, because I'd discovered some problems in the former after I'd done the latter. And of course the error message was, to say the least, vague.

Thanks as always, CC.
I don't know anything about GetDiz, if it has some XML plugins validation tools, take advantage of that on those rare occasions where you edit the files directly.

If not, I can't recommend Notepad++ enough for editing XML(you would have to download the XML plugin and for any files which do NOT end with the .xml extension, make sure to set the "Language" to XML so the editor knows to treat it as being XML content. There are plenty of other free and low cost notepad replacements which have some type of XML validation tools available or built it, but I know if this one. I can't stress enough anyone editing files directly should be using an editor which is aware of "valid" xml formatting.
jfrazierjr is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old May 4th, 2017, 04:20 AM
I'd give a second vote for Notepad++ (or, if you are on Linux like I tend to be most of the time these days, notepadqq). It's my editor of preference as well. Well, when using a text editor for XML anyway.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)

Last edited by zarlor; May 4th, 2017 at 09:13 AM.
zarlor is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Paragon

Old May 4th, 2017, 08:34 AM
Well, like I said, I actually only rarely do it directly on the XML; I do it if I'm doing some sort of mass edit (like the Edge updates) or when the Editor just flat out can't address it (like the business with the Advances), but otherwise I prefer to use the Editor if for no other reason because I'm unlikely to accidentally change something I didn't mean to.
Paragon is offline   #13 Reply With Quote