Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD

Notices

Closed Thread

DMG

Old February 15th, 2016, 03:34 PM
Thanks Shadow, I didn't buy it anyway as I knew what LWD was selling.

When the full version is out, then I'll be ready to buy.

Edit: And yes, I think LWD has great refund policies etc. I'm not faulting their business practices at all here.
DMG is offline   #51
MNBlockHead

Old February 15th, 2016, 06:35 PM
If you think $20 is too much, wait until you see the price when they *do* have a license for the full core content. I'm not a developer, so much of the arguments about the amount of work that goes into the tool are lost on me. Given what you can get for the other systems for the same price, the SRD package certainly doesn't seem like a great deal. At the same time, I am absolutely certain that no DnD 5e content will seem like a great deal in comparison to other systems. Look at the pricing for 5e content for Fantasy Grounds.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #52
Elindor

Old February 15th, 2016, 07:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMG View Post
So you can create a character with 1 feat?

I'm just repeating myself ad nauseum to the point where no matter what my opinion is, somebody is going to shoot me down.

I'm over it.
If you're using Feats, they have actually supplied 2 feats for you - Grappler and Custom, which can be changed however you want. The Custom feat won't do code, however, so the effects would need to be tracked manually, or via adjustments.
Elindor is offline   #53
Krimson

Send a message via MSN to Krimson Send a message via Yahoo to Krimson Send a message via Skype™ to Krimson

Old February 16th, 2016, 06:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlockHead View Post
If you think $20 is too much, wait until you see the price when they *do* have a license for the full core content. I'm not a developer, so much of the arguments about the amount of work that goes into the tool are lost on me. Given what you can get for the other systems for the same price, the SRD package certainly doesn't seem like a great deal. At the same time, I am absolutely certain that no DnD 5e content will seem like a great deal in comparison to other systems. Look at the pricing for 5e content for Fantasy Grounds.
Gladly pay it over a product that you pay for, then have to spent however much time it requires to make an incomplete product function like a complete one.
Krimson is offline   #54
daplunk

Old February 16th, 2016, 08:10 AM
Isn't that the point of this model though...

You only need to pay your $20 and have a little bit of patience...

Community packs fill the gaps meaning you don't have to add anything yourself if you don't want to enabling you to create characters with all the options you expect.
daplunk is offline   #55
Dervish

Old February 16th, 2016, 08:54 AM
They say a fool and his money are soon parted so who is the more foolish the man with patience or the man who gives in to his need for instant gratification

lets do the math real quick

Ultimate license for fantasy grounds 149
Players handbook material 49.99
monster manual material 49.99
250 ish dollars to make characters and have monsters

Vs 20 dollars and a little patience to let the community get stuff in order

Seems like a no brainer to me
Dervish is offline   #56
dafrca

Old February 16th, 2016, 04:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dervish View Post
They say a fool and his money are soon parted so who is the more foolish the man with patience or the man who gives in to his need for instant gratification

Or even $20 for the core SRD and another $49.99 for the Players Handbook Material.

Look, the reality is, I would pay again for a Players Handbook to have the materials added to Hero Lab. I did it for Pathfinder and many others did too. I don't mind paying for what I want. I just don't see the need to buy a software package that is not made for managing just to manage my characters. So I will pass on Fantasy Grounds and wait for something to break here.
dafrca is offline   #57
Krimson

Send a message via MSN to Krimson Send a message via Yahoo to Krimson Send a message via Skype™ to Krimson

Old February 17th, 2016, 07:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dervish View Post

Adages that come from a mass produced fortune cookie have little effect on me. I own all the stuff listed above and more. Paying for a product that works is preferable to paying for an incomplete product. You may make references to a "fool and his money" but my free time is valuable. Paying $US 50 for a product that work is worth far more to me than spending $US 20 along with hours of my time sifting through multiple posts hoping to hack it into a working product. $US 50 is two hours at my real job. I have a feeling trying to hack this into a complete product will take more than two hours of my time. So how is that foolish if I want to spend my time working on a game instead of screwing around trying to make a piece of software usable?
Krimson is offline   #58
daplunk

Old February 17th, 2016, 10:46 AM
5 more feat mechanics and this whole discussion will be void.
daplunk is offline   #59
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 17th, 2016, 12:18 PM
OK, folks. It's time for the snarkiness to end. Everything is a choice and a value judgement, and everyone has a different valuation of whether the way things work for Hero Lab is "worth it" to them. It is WHOLLY INAPPROPRIATE to proclaim someone else's value judgement as "wrong". So those comments need to stop NOW.

Our options are limited by the rules of the SRD. We've done our best to communicate that to everyone, but some people don't understand all the factors at play here - and don't want to. They just want something that works out of the box, which is not something we can offer. For those folks, we just hand them their money back, but some people just want something we can't offer and feel like complaining that we can't. That's just life in real world and business.

But that does NOT give anyone the right to claim that people with that viewpoint are somehow "wrong" for having it.

So both sides of this argument get to stop now. I'm officially closing this thread, since the title itself is nothing more than bait for an argument that doesn't yield anything constructive.

Thanks, Rob
rob is offline   #60
Closed Thread