Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

kbs666

Old May 7th, 2018, 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dungeonguru View Post
The BIGGEST SELL is that Doug (the owner) and the community host a dedicated youtube channel that they call Fantasy Grounds Fridays that they use to keep their community engaged and informed. Something that RW could easily replicate but doesn't seem to want to.
They can barely engage here. If they filmed the 2017 or 2016 GenCon seminars they never posted either. I'm sure BJ and Rone are busy people and dealing with the net community isn't their highest priority but LWD does a terrible job building and maintaining the community of users of their products.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
meek75

Old May 8th, 2018, 03:07 AM
D&D Beyond has a similar YouTube channel they use to make regular communication with customers. It is very well done and informative. More importantly, they announce features being worked on and then deliver them in the estimated time frames, or at least pretty close to them. I have shelved RW - at least for now. I have moved over to Roll20 for my needs. I play both online and in person, and I use Roll20 for both games. It is certainly lacking MANY of the features RW has in place. However, I have been very impressed with Roll20's customer service and responsiveness. After LWD dismal showing in these areas that has become important to me.
meek75 is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
gloranphile

Old May 8th, 2018, 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dungeonguru View Post
I decided to go with a combo of Fantasy Grounds and Onenote/Word (since Onenote was installed free on the laptop) and my dropbox account. SNIP
Thanks! I might give FG a try to run my campaign, since I'm back to using printouts from my notes at the table.

D100 for life!
gloranphile is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old May 8th, 2018, 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gloranphile View Post
Thanks! I might give FG a try to run my campaign, since I'm back to using printouts from my notes at the table.
I can understand being unhappy with the wait for new features but why would you stop using RW to go back to things like that?

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Happydevil43

Old May 8th, 2018, 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
I can understand being unhappy with the wait for new features but why would you stop using RW to go back to things like that?
Agreed.

I am still using RW and I also use FG and HL at the table.

RW for all the content such as NPC information, plot lines, adventure summaries, or snippets of information such as unique magic items and creatures etc etc and I use FG for all the story driven content such as maps, handouts, and room descriptions, and good old reliable HL for actual encounters.
Happydevil43 is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
dungeonguru

Old May 9th, 2018, 05:57 AM
Quote:
It's not new features, it's not having even core content like the SRD for 5e, PF or any system in there without risking community content downloads from facebook or elsewhere. The alternative is cutting/pasting from PDFs (if possible), image sites and other places and spending precious time transcribing rather than creating.

So if I'm already having to cut/paste from somewhere else what use is RW to me? Why not just display images directly to the players on a second screen in a browser tab or just move the image window from Gimp or other image viewer over?

I can't say the same of my homebrew content but if I'm already committed to using (for example) FG to show the maps, images and keep track of other story content that I purchased once already - why not just spend the time putting the home content into the tool that I'm using at the table?

So, RW was OK for when I used it but it doesn't have any staying power right now. End of the day, it won't be able to catch up either. I can't afford to buy yet another copy of the Player's Handbook so that I don't have to switch between tools. RW promised to be the all-in-one campaign tool but after years without any product support I've had to invest in alternatives.
dungeonguru is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
BJ
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 9th, 2018, 06:39 AM
Quote:
They can barely engage here. If they filmed the 2017 or 2016 GenCon seminars they never posted either. I'm sure BJ and Rone are busy people and dealing with the net community isn't their highest priority but LWD does a terrible job building and maintaining the community of users of their products.
kbs666: While you are correct that we are incredibly busy, and I was especially so last year at GC, it wasn't entirely about other obligations. I wasn't granted the authority last year and LWD didn't have the equipment to do it until I purchased it last month for the upcoming con season. Rone will be filming seminars in the future and I hope to have a more interactive presence when I finish building our new web areas. New policies and procedures take time and resources, but we are working on it. : )
BJ is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
Rone

Old May 9th, 2018, 07:14 AM
An Ennio Morricone whistling western theme audiates ethereally within your skull as a tumbleweed dances across the path of Rone Barton. This gunslinger with the weird first name swaggers up to you wearing Navajo rugs for a shirt. That's literally all he's wearing. It's disconcerting.

He forks over a business card between two fingers reading only Have 4K Camera Will Travel.

They brought me in for this. This is what I do. Do I have IMDB credits? A couple. A TV development deal? Yep. Was I ENnie-nominated for three different RPG podcasts I hosted and produced? Many times. Atomic Array, Open Design Podcast, Iron GM Podcast. Won a gold once. They never nominated my RPG Countdown podcast but that's because they were scared of how good it was and that's why they're all up there on boot hill lying down on the wrong side of the lawn. But I digress.

Can I be the documentarian this wolf pack needs?!

Distant wolves howl en masse like a wind of rising expectation. However, it's the middle of the day. This might be a case of widespread rabies. Best we get inside. Now.

Last edited by BJ; May 9th, 2018 at 08:41 AM.
Rone is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
gloranphile

Old May 9th, 2018, 07:43 AM
Quote:
It's unusable at the table as it runs too slowly on my laptop. It literally takes minutes to open or switch to a new tab. I can't sync my realm because of a bug that's been reported a year ago, so I can't just export/import the relevant information into a new Realm.

Basically, I use the export tool from Farling to see my notes at the table in html format. I share images and maps with native Windows tools to a large TV screen instead of using RW.

Right now, I only use RW as a repository of information and for reference at my desktop. The linking is great for me in my large world. However, once we finish our campaign and move on, I doubt I'll use RW anymore.

EDIT: I don't use HL since it doesn't support my game system.

D100 for life!

Last edited by gloranphile; May 9th, 2018 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Added information
gloranphile is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old May 10th, 2018, 12:54 PM
I didn't watch those streams from the other companies and I think that those P/R channels are not the best way to build up trust or feed the community with updates. Much better to have regular updates with a nice changelog. That's all I would like to see.

I really like those prison architect updates from Introversion. Check those out - even if you don't own the game.
And they deliver an update whenever there is a new update to the game...

Join the (unofficial) Realm-Works IRC Chat: #realm-works on the Rizon Network (https://wiki.rizon.net/index.php?title=Servers)
-> Browser Client: https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net

Last edited by Acenoid; May 10th, 2018 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Clarifications :)
Acenoid is offline   #20 Reply With Quote