Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Savage Worlds
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

ernestopresto

Old May 15th, 2016, 02:39 AM
I've been working on getting a Savage Fallout (found here) user pack. The Super Mutant race in the Wasteland Survival Guide has a racial feature that prohibits it from wearing anything but leather armor. I thought I was going to be able to find something like this in the preexisting game files but in the last consecutive 4 hours of searching, alas, I've come up dry.

I think I'm on the right track but I'm still very new to this. I think the script needs to go in the race (or maybe make a new racial ability or property?) and I think it needs to be some sort of eval script that checks for armLeather.

Any chance someone's put something together like this?
ernestopresto is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Paragon

Old May 15th, 2016, 12:21 PM
I can tell you one way to it, but its a pain in the behind; you duplicate all the available armor (if they're standard by-the-book armors, and the armors in the game aren't just things you're doing) and set up a pick-req so all of them but the leather excludes the Super Mutant ID.
Paragon is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
ernestopresto

Old May 15th, 2016, 01:27 PM
oof - that does sound like a pain. I'll mark that suggestion down as a last resort. Despite how that may sound, I greatly appreciate it.

Is there any way to forbid something from being picked? Like how you can't change your attributes after you've made your character unless you have advances?
ernestopresto is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
SeeleyOne

Old May 15th, 2016, 06:46 PM
That is a way to do it, probably the most user friendly (perspective of it being used, not for the data entry). How many different armors are there, anyway? There do not seem to be very many in the core rules, so if you are adding armor from a setting anyway it is really easy to make it have a pick-req set as a preclude as suggested.

All I could find in what you lined to was this
Quote:
and it is difficult and expensive to procure well-fitting armor more intricate than leather (five times listed price, if available).
That does not actually say they cannot wear other armors, only that it is difficult and expensive. So, it would be really rare, but not actually impossible.

Evil wins because good rolls poorly .... or the players are not paying enough attention to the game.
SeeleyOne is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
SeeleyOne

Old May 15th, 2016, 06:49 PM
Also, regarding the changing attributes/skills after advances is a function of locking your character. It otherwise has no bearing on anything.

Another way to make it work, if you really insisted on making it get mad at you if you have another armor type. is to have the race have the pick-req "preclusion" for all of those armors. So, the race will show an error. That said, this is not a good idea because when a race does not meet its requirements it blocks what it gives you. For example, if it gives you a skill, it will dump your points that you put into it.

Evil wins because good rolls poorly .... or the players are not paying enough attention to the game.
SeeleyOne is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
ernestopresto

Old May 15th, 2016, 07:22 PM
I gotchya. Honestly, I think it's not a great rule, there's plenty of super mutants wearing armor other than leather in the Fallout games so I might just leave it out and call it a 'house rule.' It is stated in the "Wasteland Survival Guide" in the race section that
Quote:
Due to their enormous size it is difficult and expensive to procure well-fitting armor more intricate than leather.
but, like I said, I don't really like that rule. I just wanted to put everything that's in the PDF into the user setting.

There are a few other rules that I'm not a fan of: The dwarfism hindrance, some hindrances that should instead be racial abilities like feral (useable by ghouls only), glowing one (same), etc

Anyway, feel like I've gotten off topic. I mentioned the lock at character creation thing because there are a few hindrances that stop you from advancing an attribute die after the character creation phase. I was thinking that there must be some xml script that i could adapt that has a similar 'this isn't allowed after this option is checked'.

The workaround that's been suggested will do for now but I'll keep looking for a way. I'll post if I find one / cook one up.
ernestopresto is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
SeeleyOne

Old May 16th, 2016, 06:39 AM
Something that would work is that you can have the race bootstrap an edge that is called "Leather Armor only". Make it "Omit all Printouts". Then you can place an eval code into it, and it will turn red when it is mad, but will leave everything else alone.

It eval script could look through the armors and become invalid if it finds an offender. Alternately it could just preclude the pick-reqs.

SeeleyOne is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old May 16th, 2016, 08:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernestopresto View Post
[snip]
Due to their enormous size it is difficult and expensive to procure well-fitting armor more intricate than leather. [snip]
To be honest with a rule like that i wouldn't code anything special for it at all. Something that's going to be costly in game should really just be something a GM is going to decide and it's up the player to just record that properly at the time, is all. Otherwise I'd say the rule in general is just too ambiguous to really be worth coding anything for it.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
ernestopresto

Old May 17th, 2016, 05:21 AM
The more I put this campaign setting into Hero Lab, the more I realize it needs more tweaking. I've learned a lot about the editor while I was doing it, so that's a positive.
ernestopresto is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Paragon

Old May 18th, 2016, 08:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernestopresto View Post
The more I put this campaign setting into Hero Lab, the more I realize it needs more tweaking. I've learned a lot about the editor while I was doing it, so that's a positive.
My XCOM game was much the same; it ended up being one massive tutorial for HeroLab (well, that, Zarlor, SeeleyOne, Caped Crusader and one or two others. )
Paragon is offline   #10 Reply With Quote