Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - 4th Edition

Notices

nayalith

Old September 5th, 2011, 06:38 PM
I'm running the DDI downloader (do have a subscription) and it's been going for well over 24 hours now. No errors, just endless !!!!!!. I've looked through the forums here and looked into a few things. My internet connection is fine, my firewall's not blocking it, I haven't even been home or awake for the vast majority of the time it has been running. At the rate it seems to be going it's gonna be several days until it's done. Is this how it is supposed to be, or am I doing something wrong?
nayalith is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
DarkSpiral

Old September 5th, 2011, 06:46 PM
That's about how long it took mine, too. There was a post by one of the Lone Wolf staff on WoTC's boards that the downloader having such a slow download speed is possibly one of the reasons that WoTC hasn't found issue with the program, due to relatively sleight impact on the servers that house the Compendium's files.

Posts I've read on these forums have led me to believe that subsequent uses of the downloader (for updates) will take less time. But I haven't has to test that yet.
DarkSpiral is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
nayalith

Old September 5th, 2011, 07:07 PM
The thing is, I don't even think it's anywhere near done. Also, I had to figure out on my own to tell the computer not to go into sleep mode, not to run any updates that require an auto-restart, that sort of thing. I'm terrified that something will happen and I will have to start all over. At this rate, I'll be lucky if I can get my character sheet ready for my 4e game next weekend...
nayalith is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
DarkSpiral

Old September 5th, 2011, 07:08 PM
What does it say it's currently downloading?

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are Crunchy and taste good with Ketchup.
DarkSpiral is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
nayalith

Old September 5th, 2011, 07:15 PM
The items. So if it's going to go through all those indexes, it's going to be a HOT MINUTE (as my bestie would say) before it's all done.
nayalith is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
DarkSpiral

Old September 5th, 2011, 07:48 PM
Now I'm confused. Do you mean you've realized it isn't going to take all week afterall?

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are Crunchy and taste good with Ketchup.
DarkSpiral is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
nayalith

Old September 5th, 2011, 07:55 PM
LOL sorry, in our parlance, a hot minute means a longggggg time.
nayalith is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
DarkSpiral

Old September 5th, 2011, 07:59 PM
If you've been stuck at downloading the item index for what seems an abnormally long time (I can't recall what order the indexes were listed at, though I do remember it downloaded them in that order) you might try restarting it? Check the FAQ first, I have no idea if ending the downloader program before it completes it's task has repercussions.

DarkSpiral is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
nayalith

Old September 7th, 2011, 07:21 AM
Just to let you know, it's still going strong with the items. It's not paused or throwing any errors, just taking FOR FREAKING EVER. Seriously. I wish there was a way to skip certain parts of it, because I'm pretty sure I don't need 9000 different items to do my cleric's sheet. By the way, that's not an exaggeration - the number of item entries is really over 9000.
nayalith is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
DMayhew469

Old September 7th, 2011, 08:12 AM
It would be nice if the user could select which list to download. Any way to make the downloader a windows app?
DMayhew469 is offline   #10 Reply With Quote