Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

RubbishNonsense

Old November 8th, 2015, 08:05 PM
I am new to Realm Works. I'm trying to modify some of the category definitions but even when I unprotected a category I can not delete any of the default snippets or delete unwanted categories. I find the same for tags. There are a lot of tags just not relevant for me and I'd like to de clutter things but cannot figure out how. Is this possible and if so how?

Thanks.
RubbishNonsense is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old November 10th, 2015, 05:38 AM
You want to delete types of snippets? Or just snippets in a specific topic type?

What I've done is to create my own category that started with a default category as a base and then customized from there. For instance I built a deity category off the default entity category that includes stuff specific to deities like domains.
kbs666 is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Lexin

Send a message via Skype™ to Lexin

Old November 10th, 2015, 01:58 PM
I don't think it's a good idea to remove or amend the snipped types or categories which are supplied as standard. Just ignore the ones you don't want.

I think Wolflair may have created them for a reason and that reason may be to do with the content market. Who knows what tangles you will end up with if you delete something important.

--
Lexin

GM from Gwynedd, Wales - seriously old school - playing RPGs since 1980!

Tools: Realm Works, HeroLab, Campaign Cartographer 3+
Lexin is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old November 10th, 2015, 04:02 PM
The RealmWork's World Builder Guide, in the "Structure Management" section, clarifies what is safe to delete. See subsection 2.3.4 "Global Structure Protection" on page 35. The manual itself is available from the help tab of an open realm in RealmWorks.

The general rule is to create your own custom category or tag domain and hide the Global ones you don't want to use. Similarly, you can hide tags you don't want.

That said, you do have the ability to remove global protection and delete categories and tags that are added by default. Only do this if you are sure you will not import content from the content market or other game masters using RW. This has been discussed in other threads. One user, Parody, deleted ALL global categories (if I remember correctly) and created everything from scratch for his Paranoia campaign, but he knows exactly what he is getting into and doesn't plan to import anything into that realm.

If you have any uncertainty, HIDE, don't delete.

On the other hand, you are only affecting the one realm. Removing protection from and deleting global categories from one realm will have no effect on your other realms. You are not going to break RW at most, you'll create issues for importing third-party content into the specific realm whose categories and tags you've deleted.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old November 10th, 2015, 08:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubbishNonsense View Post
I am new to Realm Works. I'm trying to modify some of the category definitions but even when I unprotected a category I can not delete any of the default snippets or delete unwanted categories. I find the same for tags. There are a lot of tags just not relevant for me and I'd like to de clutter things but cannot figure out how. Is this possible and if so how?
As you've found, there's a lot of things you can't do with the Globals. All you can do is hide things, not delete them.

Others have mentioned this already, but best practice for removing things from the Global Categories/Tag Domains is to either:
  • Hide the things you don't want in the Global Category/Tag Domain and add the things you do.
  • Duplicate one of the existing Categories/Tag Domains and modify the copy. Hide the original if you're not going to use it.
  • Create your own Categories/Tag Domains from scratch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlockHead View Post
One user, Parody, deleted ALL global categories (if I remember correctly) and created everything from scratch for his Paranoia campaign, but he knows exactly what he is getting into and doesn't plan to import anything into that realm.
I haven't deleted any of the globals. I don't use most of them, but I only hide them. (One Category has Protection removed, from before I decided to go completely with new/duplicated Categories; I'd revert it if that was an option.)

Most of my Paranoia Categories are modified duplicates of an existing Category.

Parody is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old November 11th, 2015, 08:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
I haven't deleted any of the globals. I don't use most of them, but I only hide them. (One Category has Protection removed, from before I decided to go completely with new/duplicated Categories; I'd revert it if that was an option.)

Most of my Paranoia Categories are modified duplicates of an existing Category.
Sorry for misrepresenting your workflow.

So that's the consensus. Hide don't delete.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 11th, 2015, 03:59 PM
Sorry for being a little late to the party. It's actually NOT possible to delete any of pre-defined categories. The only option available is to hide them.

The reason for this is that published content from us will utilize those categories. If you import published content, the categories upon which the topics are based must still be around for us to reference. In addition, hiding them leaves them around for reference within the Manage Categories interface, allowing them to be unhidden if you change your mind or used as the basis for new custom categories.

When hidden, the only place a categories should appear is within the Manage Categories interface.
rob is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old November 12th, 2015, 09:56 AM
I can see many good reasons for having a set of known and global categories.

I would just have imagined, that importing a package would also import the categories it would need. Then again - it would probably cause all sorts of grief, such as:
- would each package you import add to a growing list of identical and near-identical categories
- how should the system distinguish the categories from one another
- etc.

Now I wonder:
If I copy a category (say Entity) and then change everything to my heart's contend, will it be OK to save the new category with the same name as the original?

Apart from the problem with telling them apart, will it cause any system-wise problems?

The reason for doing this is that I want to make some home-brewed categories but I really like the name already taken by a pre-defined category.

I very much imagine I am going to hide the pre-defined category in every case (if for no other reason, then for the sake of my own sanity).

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old November 12th, 2015, 11:30 AM
My thoughts on this are much the same as Vargr's. The Globals shouldn't be inviolate; they should just import themselves again like any other Realm's Categories if needed. But that's not what they chose. ::shrug::

As far as duplicating names, my guess is that each Category and Tag Domain are actually identified by realm-local unique IDs. (These could be GUIDs or use some other scheme.) That way shared items can be tied to their source realm by their ID and the realm's GUID. The name is only for display purposes for the silly humans. :)

In my Paranoia realm I ended up adding " (Paranoia)" to my Categories whose names would have been the same as the Globals and starting the Abbreviation with "pxp". Thus "Location" became "Location (Paranoia)" and "Loc" became "pxpLoc". (If it became relevant, there'd also be "p1e", "p2e", "p25", and "p6e" Abbreviations, but as I originally didn't plan on handling multiple versions of the system "pxp" became the generic one.)

Parody is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old November 12th, 2015, 11:59 AM
Well, the system just warns me that I will have two categories with the same name - the system doesn't prohibits it.

I just don't want to take the chance on my master realm before I get confirmation that I am not shooting myself in the foot - or face, as the case might be.

I am not too keen on the "Individual (Vargr's version)" solution :-/

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #10 Reply With Quote