Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion > Realm Works Early Access Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

MooseDetective

Old August 14th, 2013, 09:58 AM
So I just kinda started to put some stuff in without looking at all the categories cuz hey, why not.

I entered a kingdom and than two cities in that Kingdom, then I realized that these aren't locations, these are communities... so I tried to "change topic to a different category". My kingdom become a community (now I see that's not right either - the kingdom is a Region - Geographical. Am I alone in thinking that these things should be nested top down? Regions, Communities then Locations then People? ) Anywho, when I went to my first city and "change topic to a different category" RW crashed. When I tried again, it moved it but then crashed. And now repeatedly crashes immediately upon loading up the Realm.

No problem, I know what I'm getting into so I just want to delete this Realm and start over. But I don't see a way to delete (or rename) a Realm on that front page

Also is there a realm limit? I vaguely recall reading about one at some point during the Kickstarter campaign but I could be making things up.
MooseDetective is offline   #1
alientude

Old August 14th, 2013, 09:59 AM
According to this post, deleting realms is not implemented yet.
alientude is offline   #2
BoomerET

Send a message via ICQ to BoomerET Send a message via Yahoo to BoomerET Send a message via Skype™ to BoomerET

Old August 14th, 2013, 10:01 AM
There used to be a limit of 5, but I believe that limit has been either increased or removed.
(and welcome!)

BoomerET

Castles & Crusades Ruleset for Hero Lab
Hero Lab (5E D&D) -> Fantasy Grounds Character Converter
BoomerET is offline   #3
Mead

Old August 14th, 2013, 10:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseDetective View Post
So I just kinda started to put some stuff in without looking at all the categories cuz hey, why not.

I entered a kingdom and than two cities in that Kingdom, then I realized that these aren't locations, these are communities... so I tried to "change topic to a different category". My kingdom become a community (now I see that's not right either - the kingdom is a Region - Geographical. Am I alone in thinking that these things should be nested top down? Regions, Communities then Locations then People? ) Anywho, when I went to my first city and "change topic to a different category" RW crashed. When I tried again, it moved it but then crashed. And now repeatedly crashes immediately upon loading up the Realm.

No problem, I know what I'm getting into so I just want to delete this Realm and start over. But I don't see a way to delete (or rename) a Realm on that front page

Also is there a realm limit? I vaguely recall reading about one at some point during the Kickstarter campaign but I could be making things up.
Nested categories would be a godssend.
Mead is offline   #4
enrious

Old August 14th, 2013, 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerET View Post
There used to be a limit of 5, but I believe that limit has been either increased or removed.
(and welcome!)

BoomerET
I made 20.
enrious is offline   #5
Silveras

Old August 14th, 2013, 10:46 AM
The "Containing Topic" allows you to build a nested hierarchy for the data. It is intended mostly for true containment (such as an island is contained in an ocean) where the relationship really does imply containment.

You can use this to make Organizations contain Individuals, for example, in which case setting the display to "Show Nested Hierarchy" (tools menu to the right of the topic tab on the left-panel) nests the topics according to the Containing Topic hierarchy.

I use it to place Individuals within Organizations within Communities within Nations, etc.

Also, note the "Urban Region" category.. that's your "neighborhood" or "district" type thing more than a Location would be, generally (at least as it is described; RealmWorks is very flexible).
Silveras is offline   #6
Mead

Old August 14th, 2013, 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveras View Post
The "Containing Topic" allows you to build a nested hierarchy for the data. It is intended mostly for true containment (such as an island is contained in an ocean) where the relationship really does imply containment.

You can use this to make Organizations contain Individuals, for example, in which case setting the display to "Show Nested Hierarchy" (tools menu to the right of the topic tab on the left-panel) nests the topics according to the Containing Topic hierarchy.

I use it to place Individuals within Organizations within Communities within Nations, etc.

Also, note the "Urban Region" category.. that's your "neighborhood" or "district" type thing more than a Location would be, generally (at least as it is described; RealmWorks is very flexible).
I think where nested categories would be a boon is...

Right now there is a category for 'Entities'.

So.. I make a new category for Deities... right now it shows up as a separate category from 'Entities', even if I make it a sub-category... just with a second icon.

Now I make a sub-category of that for Demigods so I can tell them apart. Again, in the listing it shows as completely separate.

Maybe I make sub-categories for Good, Evil, Neutral.... that makes 3 more.. all completely separate..

It starts to look cluttered... and considering it was OCD for me to make all of the categories in the first place... the clutter screams at me.

No complaints... this is still all a suggestion.

There are ways to hide categories that you are not currently messing with, I believe, so it really isn't that big of a deal.

Last edited by Mead; August 14th, 2013 at 01:26 PM.
Mead is offline   #7