Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

ruhar

Old April 14th, 2017, 08:38 PM
The format of the forum search here has been driving me crazy since day one. I have used forums for years so I know what I'm doing. If I have a question about something I always search the forum but for LWD forum this doesn't seem to be easily done. If I want to do a search of "search by phrase" in LWD forum the search shows every article that has "search" or "by" or "phrase" even if I put the whole phrase in quotes. Other forums I have used I can select the option to use the whole phrase as typed but this one does not give me that option. I prefer to narrow my search by using a phrase to see if I can find an answer before posting to the forum. Will someone please explain to me how to do a search of a phrase instead of each word of a phrase before I punch out monitor?

Thank you.
ruhar is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old April 14th, 2017, 09:17 PM
This should work at Google, Bing, or DuckDuckGo:
Code:
"your phrase here" site:forums.wolflair.com
Other search sites probably support similar "search operators" that you can use to enforce phrases and limit the search to a specific site (domain).

More info on advanced searching for the above three engines: Google Advanced Operators, Bing Advanced Operator Reference, DuckDuckGo Advanced Search Syntax.

Last edited by Parody; April 14th, 2017 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Added help documents.
Parody is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
ruhar

Old April 15th, 2017, 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
This should work at Google, Bing, or DuckDuckGo:
Code:
"your phrase here" site:forums.wolflair.com
Other search sites probably support similar "search operators" that you can use to enforce phrases and limit the search to a specific site (domain).

More info on advanced searching for the above three engines: Google Advanced Operators, Bing Advanced Operator Reference, DuckDuckGo Advanced Search Syntax.
Thank you Parody and my monitor thanks you.
ruhar is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
davidp
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 15th, 2017, 02:29 PM
The forum uses vBulletin software. Here is a post at vBulletin that describes how to use search effectively:

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=253432

It seems that searching by phrase is accomplished by enclosing the phrase in double-quotes. I tried it with "search by phrase" and it showed only this single thread. It is true that when I viewed the thread, it highlighted the individual words, also.
davidp is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old April 15th, 2017, 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidp View Post
It seems that searching by phrase is accomplished by enclosing the phrase in double-quotes. I tried it with "search by phrase" and it showed only this single thread. It is true that when I viewed the thread, it highlighted the individual words, also.
Using double quotes to enclose a search phrase used to be the standard, until a particular search browser decided that quotes were more useful for something else.
Farling is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
ruhar

Old June 6th, 2017, 08:39 PM
Is there anyway to search only in Realm Works forum so I don't have to wade through the Hero Lab results?
ruhar is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old June 6th, 2017, 09:53 PM
Here: the Advanced Search lets you pick which subforum (optionally including its children) to search.

Search Engines: try adding "Realm Works Forums" along with your query, so you have:
Code:
"your query here" "Realm Works Forums" site:forums.wolflair.com

Parody is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
ruhar

Old June 10th, 2017, 08:44 PM
Thanks Parody.
ruhar is offline   #8 Reply With Quote