Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Authoring Kit
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

ob1knorrb

Old January 27th, 2014, 07:02 PM
Hitting a bit of a road block with the Advancements. Currently increasing a Base Skill is only costing 1 Character Point, it should cost a number of CP's equal the number before the Skill. I.E. a 3D+1 skill would cost 3 CP's to move to 3D+2.
I think this needs to be done in "advancement.core" and it looks like you may have attempted it before. My problem is I need to access the "sklRoll" field in the Skill that is being improved in order to calculate the correct value for "AdvCost". Time to do some more reading on linkages and gizmo's I think, and take a close look at what they did in the Authoring Kit.
ob1knorrb is offline   #71 Reply With Quote
thedarkelf007

Send a message via MSN to thedarkelf007 Send a message via Yahoo to thedarkelf007

Old January 27th, 2014, 09:59 PM
That is where I hit a lot of stumbling blocks, I was in the process of layout out all the attributes and enhancements and trying to figure out which was the best thing to be touched by advancements, and how to determine what the base attribute currently is.

Working on - SW RPG d6 or add this source Update Souce and SW RPG FFG and More FFG SW not working yet
Author of Realms Works Guides
Blog writer at thedarkelf007.home.blog/
thedarkelf007 is offline   #72 Reply With Quote
ob1knorrb

Old January 29th, 2014, 03:31 PM
Arrghh, I thought I had it figured out, finally got it to figure out the cost based on the sklRoll (Net Skill) field. Added two advances to "Bargain", which started with 3D, so it properly figured out that the cost should be 3 Character Points. Added the fourth advancement and it properly figured that now that "Bargain" was at 4D that the cost should be 4 Character Points. The problem is that it then retroactively upped the costs of the first two advancements to 4 Character points as well! It recalculates based on the current value of sklRoll. Back to the drawing board.
ob1knorrb is offline   #73 Reply With Quote
thedarkelf007

Send a message via MSN to thedarkelf007 Send a message via Yahoo to thedarkelf007

Old January 29th, 2014, 03:53 PM
Your advancement might need to record the value of the sklRoll as part of its attributes at the time of creation. This should stop it increasing the number of character points it requires when you increase the cost.

Working on - SW RPG d6 or add this source Update Souce and SW RPG FFG and More FFG SW not working yet
thedarkelf007 is offline   #74 Reply With Quote
ob1knorrb

Old January 29th, 2014, 04:33 PM
Yeah, I just can't seem to figure out how to get to the value of sklRoll at creation time. Keeps coming up as 0. I think I need to step back and map out how and when the various pieces get linked together and what is available from where
ob1knorrb is offline   #75 Reply With Quote
thedarkelf007

Old January 29th, 2014, 04:36 PM
That was where I was up to, timing is everything.

I believe some of the values such as that one might be a derived each time value instead of a stored value.

thedarkelf007 is offline   #76 Reply With Quote
ob1knorrb

Old February 1st, 2014, 02:44 PM
Yes, that does seem to be the issue. I need to figure out how to store what the value of the skill is at the point the advancement is created and then not change/recalculate it later.
Going through and adding a bunch of debug statements to show me how things flow.
ob1knorrb is offline   #77 Reply With Quote
thedarkelf007

Old February 2nd, 2014, 01:38 PM
The only issue with changing the timing is that it might not take the advancement values into the total after it is added.

I got it to do one or the other but not both, I can't remember how I got the costings to work though.

thedarkelf007 is offline   #78 Reply With Quote
thedarkelf007

Old February 3rd, 2014, 03:57 PM
I did think about recalculating the score in the advanced section

thedarkelf007 is offline   #79 Reply With Quote
ob1knorrb

Old February 3rd, 2014, 07:59 PM
Part of my problem is that I only have an hour or two here and there to work on it, which isn't enough time to really wrap my head around everything. Especially since it's quite different from the usual type of programming I work on.
Right now I'm trying to figure out which scripts get fired off once a user picks the skill that they want to advance.
If I choose "Bargain" from the list, somewhere it is taking the "shortname" of that skill and making it part of the name of the advancement. I figure I should be able to save what the value of the skill is at that point as well. Then I just need to figure out how to prevent it from getting recalculated again later. Maybe some logic that says if it already has a value then don't recalculate? Sadly I probably won't have much time to look at it again until the weekend.

I also haven't really figured out how all the different components of an Advancement fit together. There seem to be a bunch of component parts that get combined to form a Gizmo but I haven't really sorted out how that connects to the original skill (or other abilities). It would probably help if I spent a couple hours and really mapped that out for myself.

Last edited by ob1knorrb; February 3rd, 2014 at 08:02 PM.
ob1knorrb is offline   #80 Reply With Quote