Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

NeoEvaX

Old August 31st, 2016, 02:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
I use a projector currently. I suggest you stop and do some serious thought and calculation about what you want to achieve. Getting a projector to display onto the table is not as easy as it sounds. You need to understand the throw range of the projector. How you plan on mounting it. How you will get the image to the table. After all this will the picture be squared or out of whack due to the angle. Will you play in the day. And what. Impact that will have on visibility.

Im current try considering swapping to a TV laid on its back.

I also don't recommend RW for the VTT. It takes too long to update for of war. I personally use MapTools. It's free, easy to use and doesn't require a live internet connection. It supports full screen mode and you can run 1 copy as server and the other as a client allowing you to control from your Dm screen.
Totally understandable. I am hoping the projector box, will alleviate a lot of the worry. Finding a decent short throw projector will be the hardest (also most expensive) part. Enough lumens shouldn't be too hard to see during the day. Plus we live in Washington with trees everywhere, so even when its bright, there is always shade coming in through the windows.

I thought about doing the TV thing too. Not sure why, but that freaks me out a bit haha
NeoEvaX is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old August 31st, 2016, 03:16 PM
In response to Rob's comment. And understand it's his product so he's biased But the reasoning I would not recommend RW for controlling the map is the delayed time it takes to get the map to update.

Using alot of tools above you simply drag a box out and it makes that area of the map visible. It's simple and instant.

Using RW you have to have the picture in edit mode, drag the box out, and then save the changes (there is usually a few second delays with the saving). I found this to be int eruptive to the flow of the game.

I also use miniatures at the table and roll real dice. The map is simply for the map and fog control only.

I still use the player screen. Its connected to the 3rd monitor which is player facing allowing me to display NPCs, Monsters, Handouts, etc.

If RW provided real-time updating of the maps and support for a 3rd monitor then I would happily move back to RW. Using multiple tools sucks.
daplunk is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old August 31st, 2016, 03:29 PM
In my mind, the purpose of using a projector is to get a bigger playing space than a tv will offer. I've managed to achieve that with my setup but the key correction is off and the image projects from the side causing shadows behind the minis.

If I can get my hands of a large tv I think I will go all out and build a table around it. I'll aim to put a layer of perplex down over the tv so that it doesn't get damaged when we switch back to using real terrain.

I believe the tv will have a number of advantages. No shadows, better use in lighter conditions. There are concerns though, tvs are designed to stand upright, heat rises and will rise between the tv and the perplex.

Ultimately it will come down to cost. Short-throw projectors are super expensive. Replacement globes are expensive. I think I can do it cheaper and better with a tv.
daplunk is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old August 31st, 2016, 04:01 PM
The other thing I forgot to mention when talking about Roll20 is that, to get the controlled visibility of the character to function, each player would need to be logged in on a separate web browser.. so Roll20 would show only what that character sees. Using a single browser with the GM logged in would (probably) show the net vision of all of the characters at once, including the monsters.

So, for a single-user view on a large TV or projection, keeping it simple is best, as the view will be the GM's view.
Silveras is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
adzling

Old September 1st, 2016, 06:51 AM
here's a link to my post on using a flatscreen for RW playerview as a battlemap (with pictures)
http://forums.wolflair.com/showpost....5&postcount=15

TLR unless you need a larger map than a tv can provide you'll get a much better result with a TV. + it will be cheaper and easier to setup/ tear down.
adzling is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
jkthomsen9

Old September 1st, 2016, 04:59 PM
I use a projector in my game. It is not that difficult to set up if you are at all mechanically inclined. Scaling the image is no big deal, there is a slider on the player view tab. slide it until 1 square is about 1 inch and you are done. then reveal what area the party just entered and save that file, then the projector will update. There is a "flash" of white as the projector updates that can be annoying, I hope this is fixed in latter updates.

as to how to do this..... I highly recommend getting a short throw projector. It is possible to use a standard throw projector with a mirror, but installation becomes much more cumbersome. First select your projector mount. spend a little more here to get a more stable mount that has some adjustments. Most mounts that can be mounted horizontally off a wall can be mounted vertically off the ceiling. Pay attention to the distance from the wall/ceiling the mount will be, leaving enough room for cords. once you have this figured out you can figure out the distance from the projector lens to the table top. In most cases this will be a fixed distance based on the room you are using and ceiling height.

Once you have this figure you can go shopping for a projector. Make sure that the minimum throw distance is that figure or less. If you have any further questions PM me and I can send some pictures.
jkthomsen9 is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
mhossom

Old September 2nd, 2016, 07:30 AM
I use my TV in the family room for the VTT. It is connected to a laptop run by the players. Btw, I use D20pro and love it. I host the game on my laptop and the players connect to me over wifi. The new fog of war and line of sight in D20pro are progressing very well. The reactions of my players when a door is opened and a big ogre is standing right there is awesome.
mhossom is offline   #17 Reply With Quote