Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

daplunk

Old October 9th, 2016, 11:54 PM
Probably worth positing this question in the hero labs stuff forum instead of the 5e sub forum.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old October 10th, 2016, 06:17 PM
Didn't know whether it was 5e specific. The 5e SRD is the only game system I use in HL.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old October 10th, 2016, 06:36 PM
I just checked the PF version and the printing is setup exactly the same way.

Looks like it has been requested previously a few times actually.

http://forums.wolflair.com/showthrea...ighlight=print

http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=51741

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Hansmo

Old October 18th, 2016, 04:33 AM
It really seems like a "no-brainer" to me. I find the lack of action on implementing it just as baffling as why it was not implemented from the start.
Hansmo is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Techno

Old October 29th, 2016, 08:48 PM
This does seem like a no-brainer feature.
Techno is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
LazarX

Old October 31st, 2016, 05:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
Even easier than this is a use any PDF printing tool like PrimoPDF. When you print and it prompts for the name of the PDF give it the SAME file name and the tool will ask you to "over write or append". Just append the data to the pdf.

Yes you have to hit the print option several times but you combine it very quickly into a single PDF document.

The problem is that Herolab's default print output options are sucktastic at best. Any descriptive text is cut off after three lines. In Pathfinder, I find that the only good option for print ouput is to use a custom output sheet such as Ancient One's where I can get everything printed to one single document without going through hoops like Primo's work around. What's needed are custom output optiosn for 5e.
LazarX is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
dropbear8mybaby

Old October 31st, 2016, 05:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazarX View Post
The problem is that Herolab's default print output options are sucktastic at best. Any descriptive text is cut off after three lines. In Pathfinder, I find that the only good option for print ouput is to use a custom output sheet such as Ancient One's where I can get everything printed to one single document without going through hoops like Primo's work around. What's needed are custom output optiosn for 5e.
I wish I understood how to create a custom output option. Is it even possible? If so, how do you construct it? What do you need to do or know in order to make it? Is it part of the program or some other convoluted process? Or is this something that's only applicable to Pathfinder due to how HL is constructed and how PF is implemented on it?

If there was a clear path or instructions on how to create an optional output method, I'd so be on that.
dropbear8mybaby is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
LazarX

Old October 31st, 2016, 06:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropbear8mybaby View Post
I wish I understood how to create a custom output option. Is it even possible? If so, how do you construct it? What do you need to do or know in order to make it? Is it part of the program or some other convoluted process? Or is this something that's only applicable to Pathfinder due to how HL is constructed and how PF is implemented on it?

If there was a clear path or instructions on how to create an optional output method, I'd so be on that.

As I understand it, it requires pretty extensive XML knowledge. Shadow Chemosh might be the only poster up to the task, but I think his time is taken up with the original Pathfinder version.
LazarX is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old October 31st, 2016, 07:04 PM
Topics here seemed to switch. The op wanted an option to print all character sheets at once. Now we have issues of not enough text and custom output.

For getting all the "Text" you need to print the Dossier called "Abilities & Gear Description Appendix". That fixes the issue of only getting three print lines. This works the same in Pathfinder.

For custom output it uses XSLT not XML but knowing XML will help. To learn how to do custom output in HL go to "Help->Hero Lab Manual->Custom Output". Of course the more you know about XML, HTML, XSLT and maybe some javascript the better this will all work. In those cases you can easily find thousands of pages of help using google.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
dropbear8mybaby

Old October 31st, 2016, 08:37 PM
Quote:
For getting all the "Text" you need to print the Dossier called "Abilities & Gear Description Appendix". That fixes the issue of only getting three print lines. This works the same in Pathfinder.
Actually I think they were talking about text being cut-off. It happens a lot because for some strange reason HL allows for a ton of text to be input but which won't fit in the space allowed for it when parsed to a character sheet.

Quote:
For custom output it uses XSLT not XML but knowing XML will help. To learn how to do custom output in HL go to "Help->Hero Lab Manual->Custom Output". Of course the more you know about XML, HTML, XSLT and maybe some javascript the better this will all work. In those cases you can easily find thousands of pages of help using google.
Yeah, so easy and accessible.
dropbear8mybaby is offline   #20 Reply With Quote