Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Shadowrun

Notices

Vilhjalmr

Old May 28th, 2015, 07:24 AM
Just a heads up, I didn't even know this was out 'till I checked out of habit.

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/...un-Data-Trails

Will be picking up my copy VERY soon, looks promising!
Vilhjalmr is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Pollution

Old May 28th, 2015, 10:47 AM
It's not.

There's some neat stuff in it, don't get me wrong. A couple of cool programs to run, some neat Commlink upgrades available (add Sleaze to your commlink for the win), the return of skinlink for technomancers (at the outrageous cost of an echo), AI character metatype is neat, but a bit broken.

If you're playing a Decker, or new to SR, this is a great book.

If you're playing a Technomancer, or looking for some hard rules for hacking cyberwear or similar rules that are lacking, don't hold your breath.

No fixes for Techno's not being able to PAN/WAN, a bunch of less than optional echoes that do little to nothing, some "neat" qualities, but overall a waste of text, etc...

Instead of putting in rules, fixes, or clarifications for the other half of the hacking sub-type (i.e. Technomancers), they've decided to put out a Technomancer Ebook (think Shadow Spells).

I'm so disappointed.... It's almost not worth the money, except that I'm my group's librarian, and if I'm missing a source book for a game I play, I get very agitated.
Pollution is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
seelenamt

Old May 28th, 2015, 11:49 AM
Pollution, don't worry, according to kincaid (one of the editors of data trails, speaking on the shadowrun forums) there is a specific technomancer splatbook in the works. Why they would choose to not just release it all at once is beyond me, but it is coming.

EDIT- Completely missed the part where you talk about it, never mind. The thing that bothers me is that, like in the case of shadow spells, there will be an important rule book that you just can't get a physical copy of.
seelenamt is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
IssLance

Old May 28th, 2015, 11:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seelenamt View Post
Why they would choose to not just release it all at once is beyond me
$$$

is data trails planned to be released as a separate package or will be included in suplement #2?
IssLance is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
AndrewD2

Old May 28th, 2015, 12:19 PM
Quite sure it will be a separate package like every core book so far
AndrewD2 is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Pollution

Old May 28th, 2015, 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IssLance View Post
$$$
Agreed.

It's just disapointing
Pollution is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
AndrewD2

Old May 28th, 2015, 12:40 PM
From the sounds of it on the forums they hadn't even decided to do the TM stuff until after Data Trails was into editing. So if they had put that stuff in DT and made it longer, we'd be waiting probably another year for it.
AndrewD2 is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Pollution

Old May 29th, 2015, 05:18 AM
Yeah, I mean, it's not like we waited almost 2 years at this point, and leaving out 1/2 the Matrix Archetypes to put into some half-assed eBook only publication isn't a big deal right?

And, add to that they waited until DT ACTUALLY CAME OUT before asking for TM input from the community for said eBook, meaning it'll either be another year, or be rushed and complete crap isn't a big deal, right?

Also adding that they filled 185 with huge font (10-12pt), tons of art, wasted space for over-bordered sidebars, and ignored at least half the questions we've been asking since the game came out isn't so bad, right?

I swear to Nuffle, Catalyst has gone from one of the best RPG companies out there to one of the worst in a single publication run.

Let's look at the difference between DT and Unwired:

In Unwired, you had a huge section detailing PANs and WANs. None in DT.
In Unwired, you had a great amount of information on software suites, programming new software, and even piracy. None in DT.
In Unwired, you had a whole chapter on Technomancers. In DT, you have a few new Echoes and a couple of CF's.
In Unwired, you had a whole section dedicated to Resonance. In DT, it's mentioned.
In Unwired, you had a great deal of information about how to hack with stats and examples, including new concepts like dummy nodes and hacking your lifestyle. In DTs, they talk about it.
In Unwired, you had a bunch of new Matrix enemies/Allies, IC, Sprites, Groups, Matrix Critters, etc... In DT, you have some IC, and a couple (about 1/2) of groups.
In Unwired, you had some really neat fluff that helped you shape your character, and your world with some stats and rules to back that stuff up (Resonance Realms were light on rules, but had the basics). In DT, there's a HUGE chapter on Foundations, but few rules and missing flowcharts.

Shadowrun 5th edition is broken. It's not that there aren't the books to back up some of the stuff, but rather that the developers haven't actually codified what needs rules, hasn't kept to a timely release schedule, has moved to a smaller print book + eBook supplement schedule (and not a timely one at that), and WORSE has lied to the community over and over about what's coming and when. "We have a question about Technomancers and the Matrix," the community asked. "It's all coming in Data Trails," they responded.

Now they're telling us that in ADDITION to shelling out for DT, we're now expected to pick up another eBook on Technomancers to answer the questions and fix things that we've been harping about for the last 2 years. Oh, and it'll come out "soon". You know, once we've started actually writing the thing. "What did you want in there again?"

If SR4a was compatible with SR5, or there was a conversion chart, or SOMETHING, I'd be all about patience. But it's not.

SR5 is VASTLY inferior to SR4 in every respect.

By this time last run, we had all our splat books and a ton of modules/missions.

For F*'s sake, there are only FIVE missions not in Sprawl/Firing Line available. SR Missions is a joke, people don't play it because there's nothing to PLAY. My group finished the ENTIRE line of missions and haven't picked it up because it's only adding one mission every couple months at best.

Pathfinder Society is VASTLY superior because they ACTUALLY PUT SHIT OUT. There's a new scenario every month, and books come out left and right. I get that Catalyst is smaller than Paizo (no duh), but the support for their own game just isn't there.

SR is my first and favorite RPG. And I really feel like Bull and his ilk have ruined it. I'm not bitching about the rule changes (though there are a few wtf areas), I'm pissed that we don't have resources where we need them, and whenever we get them, they're half assed and incomplete.

Grrrrrrr
Pollution is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Vilhjalmr

Old May 29th, 2015, 10:47 AM
I dunno, maybe it's that we don't play technomancers... But we've been having a blast with SR5 in this neck of the woods, and enjoying each book that comes out. And I've been running since 2e.

Only thing we've been clawing at has been getting a good rigger book.
Vilhjalmr is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Wolfx

Old May 29th, 2015, 04:36 PM
How far out is the addition of Data Trails to Hero Lab? Just wondering if it is weeks or months?
Wolfx is offline   #10 Reply With Quote