Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

ruhar

Old April 6th, 2017, 07:25 PM
I just got a freelance job entering classes and races from a soon to be published book into RW for the Content Market and I have some questions I hope you guys & gals can help me with.

I started with the races and I'm putting them in the Mechanic Reference, but the race category has no structure to it. If I created a new race category that had the structure and snippets I need would that cause problems for users who purchase the realm? If so how do I get around it?

Same questions about tags if I need to add tags to it.

When entering information like the history of a race would you put all the information in one snippet and let the GM break it up as needed? Break it up to one paragraph per snippet and the GM can break it down more? Or break it up more?

Is there a forum for freelancers or is this the best place to ask freelance related questions?

Thanks everyone.
ruhar is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old April 6th, 2017, 07:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruhar View Post
I just got a freelance job entering classes and races from a soon to be published book into RW for the Content Market and I have some questions I hope you guys & gals can help me with.

I started with the races and I'm putting them in the Mechanic Reference, but the race category has no structure to it. If I created a new race category that had the structure and snippets I need would that cause problems for users who purchase the realm? If so how do I get around it?

Same questions about tags if I need to add tags to it.
Can you answer what game system its for?

Basically the way to do anything that has a formal category is to use the formal category.

Now I have been doing similar stuff though and found very quickly that I would save myself a heap of time if I made some changes to the category that I needed to use.

The answer however and I verified this approach with Rob was to:

1. Create a duplicate category
2. Make the changes necessary to the category
3. Create all the content using the new category
4. Once complete, bulk change all topics that use the custom category to use the original and official category

This will result in you saving time by using the custom category but not introduce a new custom category into the market for something that already exists.

I would suggest you reach out to LWD and let them know what you are doing and who you are doing it for. This is something they have asked me to do as we are still early in the Content Market life-cycle and it's highly possible that the way you think you should do things may have an impact that you would not consider.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials

Last edited by daplunk; April 6th, 2017 at 07:38 PM.
daplunk is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old April 6th, 2017, 07:38 PM
Quote:
When entering information like the history of a race would you put all the information in one snippet and let the GM break it up as needed? Break it up to one paragraph per snippet and the GM can break it down more? Or break it up more?
You should break it up into information that represents separate snippets of information that should be reveal-able to the players.

LWD do it via paragraphs.

CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old April 6th, 2017, 07:48 PM
Oh and I assume you will have done this already but make sure you have read, understood and adhere to THIS.

CC3+ Facebook User Group

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
ruhar

Old April 6th, 2017, 08:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
Can you answer what game system its for?
It is for for 5th Edition and for Pathfinder but I'm currently working on 5th Edition.

Quote:
The answer however and I verified this approach with Rob was to:

1. Create a duplicate category
2. Make the changes necessary to the category
3. Create all the content using the new category
4. Once complete, bulk change all topics that use the custom category to use the original and official category
Won't the "bulk change" change it back to the original format thus deleting all the categories and moving the snippets to the one and only category?

Quote:
I would suggest you reach out to LWD and let them know what you are doing and who you are doing it for. This is something they have asked me to do as we are still early in the Content Market life-cycle and it's highly possible that the way you think you should do things may have an impact that you would not consider.
That was probably what was in the back of my mind when I asked if there was a freelance forum, but I will reach out to them to discuss it further. Thanks for the suggestion.
ruhar is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old April 6th, 2017, 08:10 PM
Quote:
Won't the "bulk change" change it back to the original format thus deleting all the categories and moving the snippets to the one and only category?
It should retain the changes that were made. you will likely need to do some cleanup but they just added a bulk clean up option for this very reason perhaps?

CC3+ Facebook User Group

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
ruhar

Old April 6th, 2017, 08:31 PM
Quote:
It should retain the changes that were made. you will likely need to do some cleanup but they just added a bulk clean up option for this very reason perhaps?
I will play around with this. Thanks.
ruhar is offline   #7 Reply With Quote