Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

wdmartin

Old April 30th, 2014, 06:25 PM
Hi! I'm running Rise of the Runelords with the original 3.5 books, and hoping there's a community-created data package for the 3.5 NPCs/monsters.

I checked the Community Creations page on d20pfsrd, and tried these two files:

1) AP01 Rise of the Runelords Orginial.zip

2) RiseoftheRunelordsv1.1(2011.12.28).hl

The first one proved to be built against the Pathfinder ruleset, not 3.5, so I'm not sure what differentiates it from the two Anniversary Edition files right above it in the list.

The second one imported with no errors, but does not seem to have added any content to Hero Lab (as far as I can tell). At any rate, nothing extra shows up in the Encounter Builder, and the old Import Hero from Stock option is no longer there.

Is this content available someplace, or am I out of luck?
wdmartin is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old April 30th, 2014, 06:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmartin View Post
The first one proved to be built against the Pathfinder ruleset, not 3.5, so I'm not sure what differentiates it from the two Anniversary Edition files right above it in the list.
Everything on d20pfsrd is for well for Pathfinder not 3.5. All the 3.5 community stuff is located in THIS thread.

So RotRL may have been done originally in 3.5 rules but it does not take much to convert to Pathfinder rules and that is what the community did. Then later the Anniversary edition came out and it was entered officially as Pathfinder.

Sendric would know for sure but I don't recall any monsters or encounters being built for the 3.5 stuff. Sorry...

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
wdmartin

Old April 30th, 2014, 06:54 PM
Nuts.

I personally would LOVE to be running this in actual Pathfinder rules. But I have two diehard 3.5 players in my group who flat out refuse to update. So I'm stuck unless I want to break up the group (which I don't, they're my friends).

Thanks!

EDIT:

I thought I'd go ahead and build the 3.5 NPCs, at least for the section where I really need them. But I think the Encounter Builder is bugged out in 3.5 -- when I import a basic ogre, it drops all its racial hit dice, ability scores, weapon proficiencies and class skills. I can add extra hit dice, but it thinks they're d12s, not d8s as they should be.

I think I may let it go and just do everything manually on paper.

Last edited by wdmartin; April 30th, 2014 at 07:07 PM.
wdmartin is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old May 1st, 2014, 05:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmartin View Post
Nuts.

I personally would LOVE to be running this in actual Pathfinder rules. But I have two diehard 3.5 players in my group who flat out refuse to update. So I'm stuck unless I want to break up the group (which I don't, they're my friends).

Thanks!

EDIT:

I thought I'd go ahead and build the 3.5 NPCs, at least for the section where I really need them. But I think the Encounter Builder is bugged out in 3.5 -- when I import a basic ogre, it drops all its racial hit dice, ability scores, weapon proficiencies and class skills. I can add extra hit dice, but it thinks they're d12s, not d8s as they should be.

I think I may let it go and just do everything manually on paper.
I see what you mean. I haven't used the Encounter Builder at all so far, but it does look like there may be a problem. You could just build an Ogre in the portfolio without using the Encounter Builder. At least with the community set, the Ogre should not be a problem for you.

As a side note, the HD in d20 don't really matter since you manually enter how many hit points you get.
Sendric is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old May 1st, 2014, 05:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
Sendric would know for sure but I don't recall any monsters or encounters being built for the 3.5 stuff. Sorry...
I'm not aware of any. At this point we're still working on inputting the books. There's a lot of information for 3.5 that needs to be entered, and its just taking a long time. I agree this would be a nice addition, but I think it would have to be separate from the community set.

PS. Since Pathfinder and 3.5 are so similar you should be able to use the NPC's from the Pathfinder set. Would be quicker than re-creating them all by hand.
Sendric is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old May 6th, 2014, 08:49 AM
Sendric, can you give me some more details on the issue with the encounter builder. How is an ogre you create natively in a portfolio differing from one you import through the encounter builder? Could you post an example portfolio perhaps?
Aaron is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old May 6th, 2014, 09:55 AM
Sure. The main problem seems to be that no HD are added when selecting the Ogre from the Encounter Builder. It should have 4 HD and a +2 LA. Here's are some screen captures. The first shows the Basics tab when you select Ogre from the race panel. The second is the Basics tab when you select Ogre in the encounter builder. The third is the list of errors that appear with the Ogre from the encounter builder.

In addition to the missing HD (which is the primary cause of the errors), the size of the creature is also incorrect. It's coming up as medium when Ogres are large.
Attached Images
File Type: png Ogre_race.png (364.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: png Ogre_eb.png (364.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: png Ogre_eb_errors.png (232.9 KB, 3 views)
Sendric is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old May 6th, 2014, 10:00 AM
PS. I tried three more races: rat, black bear and Troll. Both animals came out ok, but the Troll is showing the same problems as the Ogre.
Sendric is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old May 6th, 2014, 03:09 PM
I think I understand what is happening here. The Ogre race is being replaced by something in the d20 community files and the replacement race is also given a source. Since the stock portfolio does not have the community files source turned on, when it imports the monster without it all effects from the race are ignored. I believe the simplest solution would be to remove the source from the replacement race. Otherwise when you import, you will have to turn the community package source back on for each hero.
Aaron is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old May 7th, 2014, 04:31 AM
Yep. That seems to be the problem. Going in after the fact seems to fix it. An error does pop up when you do this, but once you click ok I think you're all set. The other issue I'm seeing is that "too many skill points" are assigned, but that happens whether the race is sourced or not. Is there any way for the encounter builder to use the default sources?

Some of the races from MM1 are sourced, and some aren't. Seems to me they should either all be sourced, or none be sourced. For now, I will unsource all MM1 races so that there are hopefully no issues with the encounter builder.

Thanks, Aaron
Sendric is offline   #10 Reply With Quote