Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

MNBlockHead

Old April 19th, 2019, 11:22 AM
I think what most of us want with individual character reveal is not battlemap related but all the topics, articles, and snippets. But it has been a while since I've looked at Fantasy Grounds, has it evolved past being a VTT to providing full campaign management?

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Bidmaron

Old April 20th, 2019, 01:55 PM
It is not in a league with RW in terms of super campaign Wikipedia. However, for any information a GM places into their module, you can reveal on a window basis to one or more characters and it remembers that setting. So your atomicity for reveal is window-oriented. FG doesn’t have snippets of course but you could use formatting to break up information inside the window but reveal is on window basis (analogous to topics in RW)
Bidmaron is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Jay_NOLA

Old April 21st, 2019, 08:39 AM
Some of the extensions you can download in the Armory area of the FG forums add some additional functionality for management, but it it isn't close to management like RW.

Also FG is getting ready to launch the Unity version which will have dynamic mapping, animated terrain, etc. and all classic FG content is compatible and will be so no need to re-buy anything you own for it or upgrade any existing module content.

Upgrade price to Unity is going to be super cheap if you have Classic. If you want to have both Classic and Unity you need to get Classic an upgrade. Unity Kickstarst May 1st and is expected for release in December with Kickstarters getting beta access.

Make sure if you get FG for Pathfinder to link your Paizo account to the FG store as the FG versions of Paizo products are discounted.

I use both RW and FG. FG is what I use to run and lately I've only bothered to convert some stuff to RW if just revealing in in FG is good enough. Main world is in RW along with anyhing that will get referenced often and modules are usually in FG right now as many are not going to be revisited or need of detailed referencing again.
Jay_NOLA is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Taronthir

Old April 23rd, 2019, 02:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ualaa View Post
I suppose the other consideration is whether you have a Realm per adventure, or one Realm with every adventure for the given game system.

An optimal approach might be an adventure neutral Realm, for the game rules, whether spells, classes, geography, maps whatever.
And import that into a new Realm, for a given adventure.

I'm personally going with a single Realm for everything Pathfinder related.
But my Realm isn't that large yet.
We've finished one campaign and I'm adding information for the second, set within the same world.
Actually, I've been doing adventure neutral Realms literally just for mechanics - skip the geography and maps altogether. Those get added into the Realm where the adventure takes place, along with whatever modules, AP, or additional storylines/hints I want to add. I've toyed with the idea of system-neutral Realms for geography, maps, and characters within a given world/setting - leaving things like statblocks empty to be filled in with appropriate statblocks for the game system, but I haven't gone beyond simply toying with the idea yet, simply because I'm still collating mechanics data.

30+ years of RPGs leaves one with a metric crapton of notebooks, scraps of paper, and assorted maps, books, and materials to sort, decipher, and in some cases, reminisce over
Taronthir is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old April 23rd, 2019, 02:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bidmaron View Post
Use Fantasy Grounds as your VTT. it already has per character reveal.
Does FG allow players to view the revealed information between game sessions?

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old April 23rd, 2019, 03:15 PM
Last i checked you have to be connected to the server in order to use it. Aka the DM would need to leave his session running in order for players to connect.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Jay_NOLA

Old April 25th, 2019, 09:45 AM
Correct the GM needs to have the session running. Many GMs will let the session start early so players can look over things before the game starts or will schedule or have log in the the GMs sessions available at certain times just so players can log on to look at things, access stuff the GM has for them, etc before an actual game play session.

One thing for FG that helps is to use the Message of the Day extension and type up a small paragraph or two recap and any other things they may need to remember. When a player logs in to the session the message pop up.
Jay_NOLA is offline   #17 Reply With Quote