Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

mirtos

Old April 8th, 2013, 03:59 PM
looks like its the feat. because when i pick a sorceror, and have a different bloodline, but have it as my improved eldritch, the "New Arcana" is there in sorceror specials, but is also greyed out as "replaced" when it really shouldnt be.
mirtos is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old April 8th, 2013, 04:05 PM
by the way, changing the spells known adjustment would only work if your main class was a sorceror or wizard... since eldritch heritage and thus improved doesnt have to be taken by sorceror's it wouldnt work for another spellcasting class (say a cleric that took eldritch heritage).
mirtos is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old April 8th, 2013, 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirtos View Post
looks like its the feat. because when i pick a sorceror, and have a different bloodline, but have it as my improved eldritch, the "New Arcana" is there in sorceror specials, but is also greyed out as "replaced" when it really shouldnt be.
Why would you pick the eldritch heritage feat if you already have sorcerer levels? I'm guessing when Mathias was making the system, he basically had the user add a bloodline custom ability, and hid/disabled the class abilities it bootstrapped. Since the assumption was you wouldn't be taking sorcerer levels there wouldn't be anywhere to display them other than the configurable/specials tab. Then when you pick the abilities unlocked by subsequent feats in the chain, it unhides the class ability selected.
Aaron is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old April 8th, 2013, 05:07 PM
Quote:
by the way, changing the spells known adjustment would only work if your main class was a sorceror or wizard... since eldritch heritage and thus improved doesnt have to be taken by sorceror's it wouldnt work for another spellcasting class (say a cleric that took eldritch heritage).
If your main class is not a class with limited spells (like a wizard), then we don't track that anyway and you can just add 1 spell to your spellbook. If it is a class with limited spells (like a bard), then the spells known adjustment is flexible and general enough to select the class and increase the correct spell level's spells known by 1.
Aaron is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old April 8th, 2013, 05:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
Why would you pick the eldritch heritage feat if you already have sorcerer levels? I'm guessing when Mathias was making the system, he basically had the user add a bloodline custom ability, and hid/disabled the class abilities it bootstrapped. Since the assumption was you wouldn't be taking sorcerer levels there wouldn't be anywhere to display them other than the configurable/specials tab. Then when you pick the abilities unlocked by subsequent feats in the chain, it unhides the class ability selected.
Actually, the Eldritch Heritage feat makes a lot of sense if you already have sorceror levels. It allows you to pick a second bloodline. Its very nice having a second set of bloodline. It can be a very useful build. In fact the feat specifically mentions "even if you are a sorceror".

"This bloodline cannot be a bloodline you already have. You gain the first-level bloodline power for the selected bloodline. For purposes of using that power, treat your sorcerer level as equal to your character level – 2, even if you have levels in sorcerer. You do not gain any of the other bloodline abilities."

So its pretty obvious that Eldritch heritage is meant for both sorcerors and non-sorcerors. Yes, the power from your eldritch heritage bloodline isnt as powerful as your primary bloodline powers, but it still works really well, and gives a sorceror even more flexibility.

For example, In my game, I have a sorceror that uses eldritch heritage to have two sets of powers and in that case Hero Lab works well. It works well, because the bloodlines she chose didnt need any "specials" to be chosen, they just are powers that appear in the "in game". Its just the arcane bloodline that doesnt work really well if you want "New Arcana" as the bloodline power to be picked.

Last edited by mirtos; April 8th, 2013 at 05:40 PM.
mirtos is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Dwayne

Old April 8th, 2013, 05:49 PM
I have also noticed that all the bloodlines have the wrong level listed when you get your bonus spells but you do get them at the correct level. Eldritch Heritage is also giving the arcana which it should not be giving.
It sounds like it is too much trouble to bother reporting the problems with Improved Eldritch Heritage since it sounds like it will not be getting fixed. Thanks to everyone for confirming that it is a bug and I didn't overlook anything.
Dwayne is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 8th, 2013, 05:52 PM
Please report bugs in the bug reports thread, and not in individual threads. They will get lost if they are in individual threads, especially during hardcover season (Ultimate Campaign is due in about 6 weeks, and we'll hopefully be able to start Mythic Adventures soon after that).
Mathias is online now   #17 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old April 8th, 2013, 05:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne View Post
I have also noticed that all the bloodlines have the wrong level listed when you get your bonus spells but you do get them at the correct level. Eldritch Heritage is also giving the arcana which it should not be giving.
It sounds like it is too much trouble to bother reporting the problems with Improved Eldritch Heritage since it sounds like it will not be getting fixed. Thanks to everyone for confirming that it is a bug and I didn't overlook anything.
If I gave the impression it was futile to report this as a bug, then I apologize. You should definitely report it and it will be fixed, but based on how busy things are and how difficult the fix is to accomplish, it may take a while. That was the intended thrust of my posts.

As for the bonus spells showing the wrong level for sorcerers, that's something we added last month, and we're still working out the kinks. We are aware of that bit already, and the fix we have in mind requires doing a bit of work on the base engine rather than the Pathfinder files.
Aaron is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old April 8th, 2013, 05:57 PM
Quote:
Actually, the Eldritch Heritage feat makes a lot of sense if you already have sorceror levels. It allows you to pick a second bloodline. Its very nice having a second set of bloodline. It can be a very useful build. In fact the feat specifically mentions "even if you are a sorceror".

"This bloodline cannot be a bloodline you already have. You gain the first-level bloodline power for the selected bloodline. For purposes of using that power, treat your sorcerer level as equal to your character level – 2, even if you have levels in sorcerer. You do not gain any of the other bloodline abilities."

So its pretty obvious that Eldritch heritage is meant for both sorcerors and non-sorcerors. Yes, the power from your eldritch heritage bloodline isnt as powerful as your primary bloodline powers, but it still works really well, and gives a sorceror even more flexibility.

For example, In my game, I have a sorceror that uses eldritch heritage to have two sets of powers and in that case Hero Lab works well. It works well, because the bloodlines she chose didnt need any "specials" to be chosen, they just are powers that appear in the "in game". Its just the arcane bloodline that doesnt work really well if you want "New Arcana" as the bloodline power to be picked.
Fair enough, hadn't thought of that.
Aaron is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
Mad Hamish

Old April 8th, 2013, 11:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
Because dropping 2 feats on Abyssal when you're a Dragon Disciple gives you
-> another set of claws that can be used for multiple rounds per day
-> +2 to +6 str inherent bonus which is better than you can get from anything else
I've played with it while figuring a character out a couple of weeks back and it all seems to work for that combination so I don't know that it's a general issue with the feat chain or whether it's a particular problem with being to add the additional spells.

Checking again getting a character up and picking Improved Eldritch Heritage (Abyssal) does give the bonus to Strength
Mad Hamish is offline   #20 Reply With Quote