Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

Xorez

Old January 11th, 2016, 11:13 PM
Hello,

is there a way to save more than one set of "Hero Settings"?
Is there also a way to update "Hero Settings" for an entire Portfolio?

Thanks for your help.
Xorez is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
talsharien

Old January 12th, 2016, 01:39 AM
I have been trying to work this out as well. I am using the Auto Bonus rules from Unchained but want them to apply to PC's only. It would be very useful if I could set this in the menus somewhere.
talsharien is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
jbearwillis

Old January 12th, 2016, 05:16 AM
The only way I have found to do this with out coping the game system is to set up template portfolio's. I just setup the settings and then save the portfolio with those settings and name it as player characters or Player only and one that says NPC's only or something along those lines. Then all I do is open that portfolio and then save the portfolio as my characters name and the template stays clean for next use. I don't know if there is a better way but it does work pretty well. Hope this helps a little.
jbearwillis is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Azhrei

Old January 12th, 2016, 05:18 AM
*Ninja'd*

I have a created a hero with the settings that my GM wants for his "house rules". Then whenever I start a new PC, I copy that empty one to a new portfolio and work from there.

I don't know of a way to modify a bunch of portfolios from within HL, but I'm pretty new to HL overall. It would be pretty easy to do from the standpoint of editing the XML directly assuming you had access to a tool like sed, Python, or Perl. (Otherwise, you could use an XSLT, but that's a chore.)
Azhrei is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 12th, 2016, 07:22 AM
In the Tools menu, you can use "Duplicate Game System" to create a copy of Pathfinder. Each copy can have different default settings, and can have different sets of added-on files installed.
Mathias is online now   #5 Reply With Quote
Xorez

Old January 12th, 2016, 08:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
In the Tools menu, you can use "Duplicate Game System" to create a copy of Pathfinder. Each copy can have different default settings, and can have different sets of added-on files installed.
Okay i hoped i just missed something as it doesn't seem unusual to have different sets of houserules for every group.

If i duplicate the game system and buy the data pack from a new book, will this also be available in the duplicate?
Xorez is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Xorez

Old January 12th, 2016, 08:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhrei View Post
*Ninja'd*

I have a created a hero with the settings that my GM wants for his "house rules". Then whenever I start a new PC, I copy that empty one to a new portfolio and work from there.

I don't know of a way to modify a bunch of portfolios from within HL, but I'm pretty new to HL overall. It would be pretty easy to do from the standpoint of editing the XML directly assuming you had access to a tool like sed, Python, or Perl. (Otherwise, you could use an XSLT, but that's a chore.)
Thanks for your reply, i didn't know that portfolios are just xml files. i might give it a try.
Xorez is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 12th, 2016, 08:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xorez View Post
If i duplicate the game system and buy the data pack from a new book, will this also be available in the duplicate?
Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xorez View Post
Thanks for your reply, i didn't know that portfolios are just xml files. i might give it a try.
To be precise, they're .zip archives with .xml files inside that.
Mathias is online now   #8 Reply With Quote
Xorez

Old January 12th, 2016, 09:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbearwillis View Post
The only way I have found to do this with out coping the game system is to set up template portfolio's. I just setup the settings and then save the portfolio with those settings and name it as player characters or Player only and one that says NPC's only or something along those lines. Then all I do is open that portfolio and then save the portfolio as my characters name and the template stays clean for next use. I don't know if there is a better way but it does work pretty well. Hope this helps a little.
Thanks for your reply, in my case this doesn't help as i am the gm and want to manage the player party with HL. But since i have 5 groups with different people and therefore a different set of rules its sometimes a bit inconvenient to manage applied rules by character with only one set of defaults.
If you could set a default by portfolio or have different named sets it would be a lot easier.
Xorez is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Xorez

Old January 12th, 2016, 09:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
Yes

To be precise, they're .zip archives with .xml files inside that.
Great i will have a look at it later, sounds like the best solution right now.
Xorez is offline   #10 Reply With Quote