Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Online Forums > Hero Lab Online Discussion

Notices

evdjj3j

Old September 29th, 2018, 09:38 PM
I was reading the email sent out a few days ago and decided to associate my HLC license with HLO, but when I go to do it I get this scary looking message and I'm not sure what it means? Will my licenses stop working in HLC? How does this affect the secondary licenses used by my other family members that are not using HLO and probably won't ever use HLO? Please explain thoroughly, thank you.

"WARNING! This association is permanent and cannot be undone. Additionally, you can associate at most one primary license for each product to your account, and each license you associate in this way cannot be associated with a different account. All secondary licenses attached to the primary license will automatically be associated in conjunction with the primary license."

Last edited by evdjj3j; September 29th, 2018 at 10:25 PM. Reason: added pleasantry
evdjj3j is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old September 30th, 2018, 12:00 AM
Judging from my experience, it doesn't change much of anything about using desktop Hero Lab. It shows your HLC serial numbers on the Manage Account page and gives you a link from the Manage Account page to the HLC License Management page.

Parody is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Maidhc O Casain

Old September 30th, 2018, 04:32 AM
I associated my license as well. If my understanding is correct, the only thing it does right now is put all of your account information in one place and pave the way for migrating your HLC content into HLO once that option becomes available (and if you choose to do so).
Maidhc O Casain is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old September 30th, 2018, 04:50 AM
Indeed, before RW and HLO the company never had proper "user accounts".

Since RW and HLO introduced user accounts, this is a simple way to link your licenses to a known account.

The warning is simply to alert you to the fact that once you associated your license(s) with a particular RW/HLO account, then you can't undo it.

(This also means, in theory, that if you gave a license to somebody else who has a different RW/HLO account, they could associate all of your licenses with their account instead.)

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
evdjj3j

Old September 30th, 2018, 03:33 PM
Does that mean one of the keys is associated or all of them? We need official clarification on what all it does exactly. Do my other family members have to buy a separate HLO account to associate the keys they are using? Like you said in another post Maid I want official clarification not opinions or guesses.

Last edited by evdjj3j; September 30th, 2018 at 03:35 PM.
evdjj3j is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old September 30th, 2018, 04:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by evdjj3j View Post
Does that mean one of the keys is associated or all of them? We need official clarification on what all it does exactly. Do my other family members have to buy a separate HLO account to associate the keys they are using? Like you said in another post Maid I want official clarification not opinions or guesses.
I have associated my keys, it only allows you to associate your primary key. Once it was associated all of my secondary keys were listed. So the keys your family has will be associated with your HLO/RW account.

Now they have stated previously that they will be allowing concurrent logins on the same account but it is currently not implemented.
Toblakai is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old October 1st, 2018, 12:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by evdjj3j View Post
The warning message tells you that all license keys will be associated to the same account.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 1st, 2018, 03:14 AM
Just to clarify any uncertainty on this subject...

When you purchase HLC, there is a single primary license number issued, which users then activate. Up to four additional secondary license numbers can be obtained, the first for free and the rest for a nominal charge. These secondary licenses numbers can be on additional devices and given to family members, but their name is meaningful. They are all linked to and subordinate to the primary license number. This is evidenced by the fact that all purchases of content are shared across all the license numbers.

When you associate an HLC license number to a user account, the primary license number and all linked secondary license numbers are associated to that one account. The sharing of content between user accounts will work quite differently within HLO than within HLC, so this is proper behavior. Please understand that we're not providing any further information about how the transition from HLC to HLO will work at the present time. Those details will come in due course.

If you have not purchased HLO or RW, creating a user account is COMPLETELY FREE. The process gives you the option to obtain demo mode access to HLO for free, but you don't even have to do that. Once your account is created, you can add HLO and/or RW to that account at any time by purchasing them.

At the present time, the only use for associating HLC license numbers to HLO user accounts is to allow users to view all of the personal identifying information we possess for them. This visibility is part of the GDPR rules that were introduced in the EU a few months ago. We're incrementally migrating everything from the old way the classic license numbers were handled to the new way user accounts are handled on a new server, and this is the first stage. There is no requirement to setup a user account and link the license numbers unless you want to know what information we have.

Once we start bringing support of game systems currently on HLC to HLO, the association of HLC license numbers to HLO accounts will be absolutely necessary. That's how we'll be able to track what content you've purchased and grant appropriate access across both platforms. So users are welcome to setup a free account and hook up their license number(s) to that account at any time. However, it's not necessary that you to do so.

Due to the need to track what content you've purchased across the two platforms, it is impossible to associate two separate HLC primary license numbers with a single user account, and view versa. There must be a direct, one-to-one mapping between the two. Similarly, once the cross-platform mapping is setup, it won't be possible to undo that mapping, since changes would likely invalidate content that's already on user devices for HLC, and we can't dynamically reach out to and revise the content on user devices. This is why the restrictions are outlined for associating license numbers with accounts.

I hope this helps to resolve any confusion that make have arisen.

Thanks, Rob
rob is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
evdjj3j

Old October 1st, 2018, 08:37 AM
“The sharing of content between user accounts will work quite differently within HLO than within HLC, so this is proper behavior.”

I think I’ll hold off until we get more info on this. Sounds like the potential for things to get expensive moving PF1 from HLC to HLO.
evdjj3j is offline   #9 Reply With Quote