Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Savage Worlds

Notices

basselope

Old November 19th, 2017, 10:10 AM
I'm creating a race that I want to have an edge that has a number of prerequisites. It actually adds it just fine, but I get validation errors. What is the best way to remove the prerequisites when applying to the new race only?
basselope is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old November 20th, 2017, 05:24 AM
Well, that is a bit of an odd-duck. You want a race that has an Edge but that completely ignores the pre-requisites for that Edge and is then able to use that Edge as a prerequisite for any other Edge that might use that Edge? I'm thinking, for example, you want a race to have Dodge (without needing a d8 Agility) and therefore they could get Improved Dodge by simple virtue of having Dodge already? If so I'd really have to think that one over.

If it is not an Edge that can be used as a prerequisite for another Edge, however, then I wouldn't use the Edge at all. Instead I would create that as a Racial Ability and just copy everything over from the Edge (without the pre-requisites) to the Ability instead. I would say that is the normal way to do it.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
TCArknight

Old November 20th, 2017, 05:45 AM
If it is the edge that you want, you can do this:
Quote:
<bootstrap thing="replace this with id of edge">
<autotag group="thing" tag="skipprereq"/>
</bootstrap>
TCArknight is online now   #3 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old November 20th, 2017, 07:31 AM
Oh yeah, i forgot about the skipprereq tag. Thanks!

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
basselope

Old November 24th, 2017, 10:28 AM
Thanks! I really appreciate the help. I really like both the work around and the way to work around the prereq.

It worked perfectly adding the tag to my existing bootstrap.

In case you were wondering, I found a Star Wars conversion (of many) that I'm entering into a user file. One of the players in the group wants to play an Ugnaught, which has the Star Wars equivalent of McGyver. This has a number of prereqs, so it was showing up in red with validation errors. Once I added the tag to that bootstrap, they went away.

Also, I'm very new to this and the documentation isn't always easy to get through. Therefore, I really appreciate the aid.

Last edited by basselope; November 24th, 2017 at 10:38 AM.
basselope is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old November 24th, 2017, 03:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by basselope View Post
{snip]

Also, I'm very new to this and the documentation isn't always easy to get through. Therefore, I really appreciate the aid.
Believe me, we've all been there! I do have a thread here that's a few pages deep now about "So you want to make a data file" or the like as kind of a quick intro but probably the main thing I found the most useful was gathering together code snippets that other people had done or that I had worked out. You've probably already seen that thread stickied on this forum for Common Code Examples. Otherwise it's been a lot of doing exactly this, asking if anyone else on the forum has run into this or that issue or can think of a way to code something in. Most of the folks here are pretty helpful when they can be, though, so I think it's a pretty good place to ask if you get stuck on anything.

Then again some threads might go unanswered if some of us can't figure out a good answer (which usually means we're hoping Caped Crusader will answer it! )

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Coming Eventually
zarlor is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
basselope

Old November 25th, 2017, 03:02 PM
Yes! I have been going through the Common Code Examples and even quoted it in another thread I have going. That is a very helpful post.

Last edited by basselope; November 25th, 2017 at 03:11 PM.
basselope is offline   #7 Reply With Quote