Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Online Forums > HLO - Shadowrun

Notices

Biz

Old December 10th, 2019, 03:36 AM
Just purchased HLO - Shadowrun. Creating a test character and it appears that it is paying the initial 1 point in each Attribute out of the Attributes priority? I am understanding that each Attribute starts at 1 point free. Else priorities like E for Attributes (2 points) would result in a wholly unplayable character (the poor thought in that selection aside).

Am I missing something here?
Biz is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 10th, 2019, 07:47 AM
We're just starting all the incrementers at 2, with 1 point spent on each attribute, because we assume that characters will usually set their attributes generally at 2 or higher, so we hope that it's fewer clicks to get from 2 to the final value you want, rather than starting at 1. Also, 2 is described as human normal, so we're starting characters as average people, rather than starting them at the minimum.
Mathias is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Chubby Checker

Old December 10th, 2019, 07:54 AM
No, you're right, atm HLO doesn't handle the attribute point distribution according to the SR6 rules.

At the moment, when you create humans, the program runs fine in the end, although the displayed value with regard to the points spent is plain wrong at the beginning (after distributing all attribute points, it is usually okay). However, when creating metahumans, the sum of spent attribute points (and of Edge for humans) is often wrong at the end.

I think that this is a background mechanic carried over from HLC Shadowrun 5, where there are bonuses to certain attributes. But the mechanics in SR6 as you described them are actually the right ones here.

I already submitted a bug report concerning this topic a few days ago.

Cheers
Ben
Chubby Checker is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Chubby Checker

Old December 10th, 2019, 07:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
We're just starting all the incrementers at 2, with 1 point spent on each attribute, because we assume that characters will usually set their attributes generally at 2 or higher, so we hope that it's fewer clicks to get from 2 to the final value you want, rather than starting at 1. Also, 2 is described as human normal, so we're starting characters as average people, rather than starting them at the minimum.
Even if setting the values back to 1, there are between 3 (elves), 4 (dwarves, orks and humans) and 6 (trolls) points already displayed as spent.
It becomes especially wrong when you e.g. decrease Strength for an ork below 3 (really with all metatypes that have a higher range on certain attributes where you decrease said attribute(s) below the "bonus", which is in reality only a higher range — that's what the adjustment points are for).
Chubby Checker is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Biz

Old December 13th, 2019, 12:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby Checker View Post
Even if setting the values back to 1, there are between 3 (elves), 4 (dwarves, orks and humans) and 6 (trolls) points already displayed as spent.
This is exactly the behavior I was talking about. I was testing with a troll and when I minimized them all back to 1 it was still reading 6 points already spent.

But I logged back in today to check on it and looks like it's been fixed? Hoorah!
Biz is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Chubby Checker

Old December 18th, 2019, 10:43 AM
Seems so, the attributes are now computed (and displayed) correctly.

Cheers
Ben
Chubby Checker is offline   #6 Reply With Quote