Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

Ualaa

Old April 21st, 2017, 05:15 PM
I've got six or seven PCs, in one portfolio, which is the current version of each character in the party.

If one of the characters dies, or the player wants to have their character wander off to be replaced...
I export the deceased/lost character, to the 'dead list' for that campaign; I like to have a copy of the character, in case I need to refer back to it or the player wants me to help them make a new one like whatever, only this time with...

Once I have the exported version, I delete them from the portfolio.
The portfolio then imports the replacement character...

In the case of one of the characters I have built... the group wants a healer/buffer, but no one wants to play that role.
We're currently level seven, so if the current support NPC were to die, I'd Portfolio > Import Character...
Navigate to the next Support NPC portfolio, and select the level seven version of that character.

Between sessions, if I've not looked at the character in a while, and the character has leveled up, I can always refer to the previous portfolio with a copy ranging from LV 01 to LV 20 of that character, to see how I built them the first time, to get an idea on what I was going for.
Ualaa is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Sturmrider

Old April 22nd, 2017, 04:53 AM
Thank you everyone for all your help. It has enabled me to get by some problems I was bumping into. I do have one question though for those who use a portfolio for the party.

What happens when a member is not able to make it and the party wants to adventure that session. Is there a way to drop a member from that session? Or do you have to remove him or her from the portfolio for the session.

Thank you again everyone for your input it is helping me set up things for the future as I am learning Hero Lab.
Sturmrider is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
ErinRigh

Old April 22nd, 2017, 05:25 AM
You will have to remove the character for the session. Go to Portfolio > Export Hero... and export the current character to a new .por then just click delete hero under the Portfolio menu as well. When the session is done and you've finished updating the other characters in the portfolio, just re-import the saved .por and you're golden. Just don't save the export to somewhere strange and forget where you put it.
ErinRigh is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Aaron
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 22nd, 2017, 11:06 AM
When a player doesn't show I don't think it's necessary to do anything to their character in the party portfolio. If you're the type of group who makes the character "fade into the background" when their player isn't present, just ignore the hero. If you're using the tactical console you can just remove them from the encounter with a button press.
Aaron is online now   #14 Reply With Quote
Sturmrider

Old April 23rd, 2017, 04:01 AM
Two different styles of keeping the character in the background there. Thank you for the feedback, now just have to decide which one will work best for the group.

Thank you again everyone for your help on this. Have a great day.
Sturmrider is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Ualaa

Old April 24th, 2017, 09:19 PM
I leave an inactive character in the hero's portfolio.

I run combat, using the 'Tactical Console', and there is the option to disable a character for the combat beside (to the far right) or their name.
So they're not active in combat, and their turn is skipped... until you hit the Sword icon beside their name, which puts them back into the active characters for the Tactical Console.

Having a character listed in the Portfolio, who is not active in the session, doesn't seem to be a detriment.

Hero Lab calculates experience for creatures marked as Enemies, within either their portfolio or the Hero's Portfolio when I import them for a combat.
It shows the total amount of experience, for the Enemies within the portfolio.
I would take that total, and divide it by the number of active characters, and after the session has ended add the cumulative total for each of the battles/encounters won, on each active character's journal entry (or to every character, present or not, if using group experience).
Ualaa is offline   #16 Reply With Quote