Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Pollution

Old November 28th, 2014, 03:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post
ALT-ENTER is the standard for line breaks within a cell for Excel. That works. I'm an Excel user so it's the natural choice to me. ENTER moves down. TAB moves sideways.

Whatever you choose, stay consistent. Pick Word or Excel methodology and use that logic for everything throughout. I'd say pick the one that is most RW-like but there are good arguments for either case -- database entry is similar to spreadsheet so Excel; formatting paragraphs and sentences for logical presentation of segments of information so Word.
Yup, that's where I was going with the Enter thing.

Again, let me say, that this program is great. I personally love it and have put WAY too much time putting things in that I'll probably never use.

I'm an IT guy and a tech writer, so I get too in to this stuff sometimes.

The table support is...okay. Again, it's rudimentary, but it's functional. Once you get things the way you want them, you're good to go with copy/pasta. It's just when starting out that things can be a pain.
Pollution is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Kairos
Volunteer Data File Author

Old November 28th, 2014, 06:51 AM
Yeah, I've had pretty good luck with the tables, and was pleasantly surprised with the text formatting tools. Copying and pasting from Word and Excel is pretty painless. I was actually quickly able to adapt formatting from an Exel character generator into a text snippet:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...a-20141101.png

Authoring Kit Rule Sets (now with functioning links!):

Qin: The Warring States

Doctor Who: Adventures in Time and Space

MEGS/BoH/DC Heroes (work in progress)
Kairos is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
eponette

Old December 2nd, 2014, 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
So like I said, I'm working on mechanics stuff at the moment, so I don't have any NPC's per say. But I did start entering some "Adversaries". The Stormtrooper Sergeant has some decent complexity, so you can kinda see what my general layout is like.

Example Image

This is also really only the "first pass" attempt. There are probably some improvements to make. One I can see immediately is probably having the skills be a 2-column table, so that all the numbers left align nicely.
Joe,

I tried to mimic your adversary sheet (shown in the image). But I'm lost. Is there a way to show me/us how you did it? It might be very interesting and usefull.

Thanks
eponette is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Joe
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 3rd, 2014, 11:57 AM
@Kairos wow! That looks really good, especially if you didn't have to do all the formatting yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eponette View Post
I tried to mimic your adversary sheet (shown in the image). But I'm lost. Is there a way to show me/us how you did it? It might be very interesting and usefull.
Here's a step by step walkthrough of building the table from the ground up. Hopefully the instructions are clear enough.

It's a little bit of work to get it done, but remember that once you've made it once, you can just copy and paste the whole block from NPC to NPC without redoing it all.

Hope that helps!
Joe is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Kairos
Volunteer Data File Author

Old December 3rd, 2014, 12:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
@Kairos wow! That looks really good, especially if you didn't have to do all the formatting yourself.
Yeah, it worked well. The skill tables came right over. I just centered the values in the columns and applied the highlighting.

Authoring Kit Rule Sets (now with functioning links!):

Qin: The Warring States

Doctor Who: Adventures in Time and Space

MEGS/BoH/DC Heroes (work in progress)
Kairos is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old December 3rd, 2014, 06:38 PM
Would be nice if HL would do this type of formatted table output.... Simple tables for embedding with a link to the portfolio if we need more crunch. I've been making these by hand in Word but they're a wee little pain due to my insistence on 7 and 9 point fonts.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B38...ew?usp=sharing
AEIOU is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old December 3rd, 2014, 07:07 PM
FWIW, stats are the sort of thing I leave to PDF and Statblock snippets. (I'd use Hero Lab ones for systems with Hero Lab support.)

I'm doing my best to keep any fancy formatting out of Realm Works unless it gets better support for styles. :(

Parody is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
eponette

Old December 4th, 2014, 01:40 AM
Joe, Thanks for the tutorial. But I meant the whole customized page. As described in your image. I know that most probably it is easy to do, but, for instance, I couldn't manage to create a new Topic (Danger) with all the data you put in it. And make this topic a default one I can create many time for all my NPC.

I hope I'm clear enough...
eponette is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old December 4th, 2014, 03:35 AM
One option could be
You can copy topics with the existing structure. So you create one template By hands and then you copy it.
Acenoid is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
Pollution

Old December 4th, 2014, 03:57 AM
Actually, I've been looking at this, and while you could just create a blank topic with all your formatting, An even better solution (IMO) would be to have a custom topic created with actual data in the text fields.

That way, you could build the empty table once, and then just put in new info. Rather than the way it is now where you put in text and it becomes a tool tip. If you could set a default value for instance, that would be AMAZING.

So say you had a field that was text, the label is ATTRIBUTES, the default value is:
STR: DEX: CON: CHA: WIS: INT:

You create a new topic, and just have to plug in your numbers.

Now, to make that even better, put the table you want, formatted the way you like, in that field, and just plug in your numbers when you create a new topic.

This would be great, don't know what it would take to make happen though.

For now, duplicate topic is the way to go, no doubt.
Pollution is offline   #20 Reply With Quote