Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

salcor

Old November 7th, 2014, 10:55 AM
So at my gaming table I use realm works but I don't use the player view since I don't have a secondary monitor. However everyone has smart phones or tablets. Now there are apps that allow tablets to be used as secondary monitors. Has anyone done this successfully?

Salcor
salcor is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
liz
Ex-Staff
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 7th, 2014, 03:09 PM
We used tablets at our booth at Gen Con this year. We used Splashtop Extended Wireless display (here's a link to the iPad app). From our experience, the iPad app performed much better than the Android app. It could have been something to do with our wireless (there were a lot of signals in that hall), but it appeared that the iPad was working better.

That said, if you're using the laptop at the table, you don't need a second monitor. When you bring up player view, you can also just flip your laptop around to show player view to your players.

Let me know if you have any other questions!
liz is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
salcor

Old November 7th, 2014, 03:40 PM
Liz,

Thanks for the info. Where you able to stream video and audio as well? I am experimenting with idisplay, I hope to get it on up to 8 devices for use at the gaming table.

Salcor
salcor is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Caktus

Old November 8th, 2014, 11:26 PM
Hi,
I did buy the iDisplay app and the connection drops constantly in my local wlan. I don't know if the problem is with computers firewall settings, but the app failed spectacularly at my gaming table. Luckily I could show material from my main screen as a backup plan, but I will do more through testing before next attempt.
Caktus is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
ruhar

Old November 9th, 2014, 12:57 PM
I had success with TwomonAir, but I didn't have luck with iDisplay or Air Display.
ruhar is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
davidp
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 9th, 2014, 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by salcor View Post
Liz,

Thanks for the info. Where you able to stream video and audio as well? I am experimenting with idisplay, I hope to get it on up to 8 devices for use at the gaming table.

Salcor
I had shown video through this setup at GenCon. I don't know about audio as an environment like GenCon in the booth is not conducive to playing audio files. Audio should come through fine from the PC, though, so I would think that would be less of a worry.
davidp is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
salcor

Old November 15th, 2014, 11:04 AM
So I have been playing around with IDisplay android on my droid mini and my Nook HD+ from my laptop with windows 8. So the windows 8 beta software for the laptop doesn't seem to work so I uninstalled it and installed the windows 7 running as windows 7. Anyway that worked on each device by itself, which is awesome. I can definitely see that as a plus. At least I can pass the player view around. However my goal is a little higher. According to IDisplay it is supposed to display on up to 36 devices. So my vision includes all of my players using IDisplay (up to 8 max) and then I can push the player view to everyone at once.

Salcor
salcor is offline   #7 Reply With Quote