Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Army Builder Forums > Army Builder

Notices

Homer S
Volunteer Data File Author

Old April 20th, 2009, 01:08 PM
I have a behavior that I use frequently in 2.2 that I have not found a replacement for in 3.x.

When the leader of a unit is an upgrade to an existing model, the total number of models should remain fixed when the leader option is selected. In 2.2, I would add the attribute "modl:-1" to the option. How can this be replicated in 3.x?

I assume it is a script, but for the things I have tried I get an error about read-only.

Thanks,
Homer

P.S. The answer is here.

Last edited by Homer S; April 22nd, 2009 at 04:24 PM. Reason: answered in another thread
Homer S is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Homer S

Old January 20th, 2011, 06:45 AM
I'm looking at this again and I *thought* this was the answer:

The "entity.count[model] = entity.count[model] - 1" eval script is the equivalent of "modl:-1" from 2.2.

But is isn't. It reduces the count by one, but it also reduces the squad maximum by one.

Expected:
Current/Min/Max = 3/3/5 should change to 2/2/4 but it behaves like 2/2/3.

Any one know how to replicate this in AB3?

Homer

The only "hobby" GW is interested in is lining their pockets with your money.
Homer S is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 21st, 2011, 12:11 PM
I just tried this, and if I have a unit who has 5-10 models, and I add a sergeant (whose option has the "entity.count[model] = entity.count[model] - 1" script), the unit count drops to 4, and the limits are now 4-9.

Are you sure there isn't something else that's affecting the unit count? Whereabouts in the data files is this problem taking place?
Colen is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Homer S

Old January 27th, 2011, 09:22 AM
I'll take a look again. I wonder if it is related to the child being effective?

UPDATE: That's it! If the child is effective, it acts like it is double dipping. If the child is not effective, then it works right. This will get applied to any number of places in the files where a leader is an upgrade, like say an Eldar Exarch. That way, the squad goes from 5 base models to 4 base + 1 upgrade for the +xx cost.

Thanks!
Homer

Last edited by Homer S; January 27th, 2011 at 09:29 AM.
Homer S is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Homer S

Old January 31st, 2011, 07:58 AM
One more monkey for the wrench. It is behaving now for adding the unit and dialing it up to maximum. If you dial it down to minimum, you can't get it down all the way. So, starting with a unit size of 5. Adding the upgrade sets it to 4+1. You can then dial it up to 9+1. You cannot dial it down to 4+1, just 5+1. You can remove the upgrade unit and re-add it to get to 4+1. Any other suggestions?

Homer

Homer S is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
shaggai

Old January 31st, 2011, 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer S View Post
One more monkey for the wrench. It is behaving now for adding the unit and dialing it up to maximum. If you dial it down to minimum, you can't get it down all the way. So, starting with a unit size of 5. Adding the upgrade sets it to 4+1. You can then dial it up to 9+1. You cannot dial it down to 4+1, just 5+1. You can remove the upgrade unit and re-add it to get to 4+1. Any other suggestions?

Homer
I could let you borrow my Hammer of Coding +11, I used to you the +10 but this is one more then...
shaggai is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Homer S

Old February 1st, 2011, 07:36 PM
I can't get a hammer to fit in the round hole, or do I need a square hammer?

Homer

Homer S is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 2nd, 2011, 04:46 PM
Homer, does my solution from post #3 work? If not, can you point to where in the data files I can see an example of the problem?
Colen is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Homer S

Old February 15th, 2011, 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colen View Post
Homer, does my solution from post #3 work? If not, can you point to where in the data files I can see an example of the problem?
I implemented your suggestion and here is the result. It is in the current Eldar files, choose any Aspect Warrior squad.

You can have it one of two ways:

1) Add an Exarch, so 5 become 5+1. You then have to dial it down to 4+1.

2) Upgrade an Exarch, so 5 become 4+1. This is what the codex states.

Case 1 is how it used to work. People complained that the pricing was wrong, since they didn't notice the squad size increased.

Case 2 is how it works now and the only issue is that if you dial it up and back down, you can't bottom it out. The workaround is to remove the Exarch and start again.

Any Thoughts?
Homer

Homer S is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 23rd, 2011, 11:32 AM
Ah, I think this is the same problem that the author of the FB data files reported to us a while back. Unfortunately we didn't have time to implement a fix in AB3.3.

If you mark the Fire Dragon Exarch as "effective", the minimum limit will work properly. Unfortunately you'll then have the opposite problem - the maximum limit will be 1 too low with the Exarch added. The FB data files solved this by making the upper limit for the unit 1 too high, then giving a validation error if you took the maximum number of guys.

Unfortunately I can't think of a better way to handle this right now. It is on our to-do list, and it's hopefully something we can tackle in a future release of AB.
Colen is offline   #10 Reply With Quote